Basic Motorhome Maintenance Courses 2 (1 Viewer)

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie

The more I read on this site the more I realise there is so much I don't know how to do, so I wondered if anyone knew of any (very!) basic motorhome maintenance courses available. I've done a quick google search but can't see anything appropriate. Or maybe one of the more technically experienced members would fancy running one (for a fee)?

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

The above is from the Dude.

Several years ago I made a suggestion in a technical forum that we should create a book, an online book with contributions from members for the benefit of the members, technician educating technicians. The idea was taken on board and contributions came from all over the world on all technical subjects to do with this “class” of machinery of which there are several manufacturers making a large range of machines so it was a somewhat daunting task.
I elected/volunteered myself to collate the information and put it into groups/chapters to give easy access to the required information. To do the same for motor homes would be relatively easy, although there are many manufacturers they do tend to use the same internal systems for the most part, toilets, fridges, cookers, heaters etc. spring to mind.
From the few weeks I have been a member here I have seen some brilliant answers to common questions from some very knowledgeable and experienced people so why not make our own online book??
There is obviously a demand for information from what I have read in the forums, indeed I have asked questions that have probably been asked a hundred times before and will be asked by others in the future so the need is there. Looking through my user book for the MH I must admit they leave a lot to be desired, they may tell you how to switch things on (sometimes) but nothing much in trouble shooting when they don’t switch on.
A thread dedicated to servicing, repair and maintenance of motor homes regardless of manufacturer should be the aim possibly starting off with a full, comprehensive but general service schedule. Look upon it as a work in progress, to be added to as and when the information becomes available, post links to information, copy and paste information (where this is allowed), a picture speaks a thousand words so use pictures as often as possible. This is not to replace the “tips and trick’s” thread but more to supplement it, indeed some of the information could be copied from that thread to the maintenance thread. We had information contributed by manufacturers and dealerships who were all too happy to help because it was good for customers relations, we even had a prize for the best contribution every 3 months, nothing expensive you understand, in this case maybe Jim would contribute something from the shop?
In the end there could be a reference “book” for the members to browse, look up answers to FAQ and make contributions to.
I have written quite a few articles for magazines in the past on workshop related topics and they were well received, I would contribute any I think may be of use to the members, they might possibly contain information that is irrelevant but I can alter/edit/reword to suit, these would be of a more general nature.
Let www.motorhomefun.co.uk be the leaders in this and perhaps an inspiration to others:thumb:.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Brilliant ideal as long as it includes a chapter on the operating procedure for an hair dryer off EHU.:thumb:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Nope, must resist........must......resist

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I do like this idea - I have a hundred and one questions, some of which seem very foolish, so I don't ask and muddle along as best I can.

A central place to look up stuff - I'd be using it! :thumb:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I thought we added greatness to it:winky:

Stepping away now...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
search ebay for "Haynes motorhome" that will bring up a list of available manuals that cover exactly what you need, select the age of manual most likely to cover the range of appliences in your particular motorhome.
Job done why reinvent the wheel

Link Removed

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It sounds like a good idea and it may well be; but I remember this.

I instigated a wiki here about 5 years ago. A wiki is like an online encyclopedia much like wikipedia but only about motorhomes. I paid $300 for the software and it was brilliant,It quickly became a mine of information on every motorhome topic you could think of. Not only that, if anyone wrote the word Payload or Full-timing or any other word in a post, and that word was a title or subtitle in the wiki, then those words in the post automatically became hyperlinks. Newbies could just click on them and be taken to the wiki and read all about payloads and fulltiming and almost everything else. So where is it? I deleted it. It was almost the ruin of us.

The better resource it became the more I saw registration and posts drop off! Why ask questions if the answer is in front of you. That is why I don't have even the simplest FAQ here. I want people to join and ask questions, I don't care if the same question has been asked a thousand times before, someone taking the few minutes it takes for a personalised answer goes such a long way, as most of us know because we've been on the receiving end, and there is nothing else quite like it. It encourages people to join up and join in. New members and new personalities are what keeps forums alive. Large volumes of information easily available might be good for a while but to the detriment of the club.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Jim's reply was my first thought, if nobody posted how to/how do I questions we'd only have

Old Mo's jokes and :dm:threads to keep us going.:whatthe:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The better resource it became the more I saw registration and posts drop off!

A beautifully honest reply, typical of FUN.

And why shouldn't you do this, when did Tesco ever give food away.

What next, solicitors giving free advice.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Just imagine handing the keys to your motorhome over to someone else to take away on adventures, and tell you all about it on their return - there would be no point in having one if you never enjoyed it yourself.

With the forum, You have expertise at your fingertips. There are plenty of people more or less experience, that may be able to help you out with an issue. At a meet, or show you may bump into them and buy them a pint of gratitude, have a long chat and make a new friend - or discover that the argumentative little oik is actually a really nice person with a heart of gold.

These things you would never do if you just relied on a faceless resource for your answers. I think most of the more seasoned amongst us have replied with the same answers to the same questions on countless occasions to the newer members, or older ones that hadn't come across such an issue - and even seasoned ones have a hand now and again.....it is all priceless!

It is what a community is about. Never be afraid to ask anything - even if it sounds stupid, obvious or whatever. Sometimes inexperience or even frustration can blind the most competent people in fault finding.

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Being a DIY disaster, a technical numbskull and a mechanical dimbo means that I am often asking silly numpty questions.:Confused:

What I think should be available, and I would pay good money for one, is a diminutive but strong , knowledgeable in all things motorhome, little person who would happily live in a cupboard or overhead locker to be taken out in times of need. :helpsos:

This little persona needs to be tiny as I have found that most problems I have encountered seem to originate in small inaccessible places, the creature would also, for preference have two pairs of hands and be able to wield spanners, screwdrivers and pliers whilst at the same time making tea and offering biscuits.

Oh almost forget, this little being needs to be quiet, clean, tidy and inexpensive to run. :winky:

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie

I instigated a wiki here about 5 years ago. A wiki is like an online encyclopedia much like wikipedia but only about motorhomes. I paid $300 for the software and it was brilliant,It quickly became a mine of information on every motorhome topic you could think of. Not only that, if anyone wrote the word Payload or Full-timing or any other word in a post, and that word was a title or subtitle in the wiki, then those words in the post automatically became hyperlinks. Newbies could just click on them and be taken to the wiki and read all about payloads and fulltiming and almost everything else. So where is it? I deleted it. It was almost the ruin of us.

The better resource it became the more I saw registration and posts drop off! Why ask questions if the answer is in front of you. That is why I don't have even the simplest FAQ here. I want people to join and ask questions, I don't care if the same question has been asked a thousand times before, someone taking the few minutes it takes for a personalised answer goes such a long way, as most of us know because we've been on the receiving end, and there is nothing else quite like it. It encourages people to join up and join in. New members and new personalities are what keeps forums alive. Large volumes of information easily available might be good for a while but to the detriment of the club.

Brilliant reply, very well thought out, many thanks, never thought of the "social" aspect of knowledge gathering, on our site the object is education so the whole idea of the book was well received and well patronised, I can see (now) here it is quite different. Not such a good idea after all.
Now about this switch with the yellow light changing to green at 5 second intervals...............................:Eeek:.

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
search ebay for "Haynes motorhome" that will bring up a list of available manuals that cover exactly what you need, select the age of manual most likely to cover the range of appliences in your particular motorhome.
Job done why reinvent the wheel

Link Removed

Never thought of that because I didn't know they existed, I will take a look later:thumb:, thanks for the tip.
Cal

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

Good point and there is also the fact that there is quite often more than one right answer as we have seen from the varied responses to people's queries. The traction/leisure battery debate is a case in point! :thumb:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Thanks jim for your reply and your reasons.

Roger will look into the haynes manual and if it doesn't answer them will swallow hard and ask on here:Blush:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Ask anything stupid or otherwise not everybody knows everything, there's expertise there's good wit sarcasm good humour but above all theirs friendly helpful people on here. Don't you just love this Forum. Well done to everybody. And thank you Jim for starting it all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back