Stinking Grey Tank (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
our grey tank tends to get a bit whiffy while on the road and i was wondering if anyone has tried putting the aquachem pink, perfumed bowl cleaner stuff in the grey tank to combat the stink.

i tried putting the plugs in the sinks and shower put it dont work. its fine on site no matter how full it is but the minute we move off it starts.

cant always find a dump point on site so we have to find a layby with a drain or just suffer but it gets bad.

once its empty all is pleasant and sweet.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi PPJ chuck some Ariel type liquid and bleech down the sink :thumb: other than that you need to make a u bend trap in the pipe leading to the tank :thumb: smells cannot travel through water :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi PPJ chuck some Ariel type liquid and bleech down the sink :thumb: other than that you need to make a u bend trap in the pipe leading to the tank :thumb: smells cannot travel through water :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Thats exactly what we did in USA when we had the same problem. We'd always been told bleach was a no no but all the yanks use it in their grey tanks plus some Ariel type liquid as Terry says. Cured the problem immediately.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi folks
John have you had a look at your waste tank? we had the same problem and found that the drain was on the side of the tank but the tank had a belly hanging below the level of the drain. To my cost i found that this held about two gallons of minging liquid after emptying the tank and polluted any water that entered after, so we couldn't clear the problem. I've since fitted a new drain at the lowest point of the tank......problem solved :thumb:
How did i find that two gallons of stinkage were still in the tank? i layed underneath and took the inspection-cap off which is at the lowest point :Doh:
Lesson learnt :Blush:

regards....nige

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I seem to remember that someone said that the reason for the smell was the van sucking in the smell from the outside vent??

See this Xtreme Vents Eliminate RV Odors Permanently

Regards Pat

cheers Pat, but i dont think the euro style tanks are vented, they vent through the pipes when the water has gone through which is probably why it is so slow to empty the sink. could be wrong though

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi folks
John have you had a look at your waste tank? we had the same problem and found that the drain was on the side of the tank but the tank had a belly hanging below the level of the drain. To my cost i found that this held about two gallons of minging liquid after emptying the tank and polluted any water that entered after, so we couldn't clear the problem. I've since fitted a new drain at the lowest point of the tank......problem solved :thumb:
How did i find that two gallons of stinkage were still in the tank? i layed underneath and took the inspection-cap off which is at the lowest point :Doh:
Lesson learnt :Blush:

regards....nige

you may just have hit the nail on the head, Nige.

the drain tap/pipe is about an inch and a half up the side of the tank.

dont really fancy getting me arm in there to reposition it but if needs must............

it does only stink when it gets aggitated, on site its ok.

saying that.....when we dump i leave the tap open so cornering ect empties the tank fully.

Last edited:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi john
Do you have the big clean-out cap underneath? We do so (ok ok it's a bodge) i secured the origional drain hose with the tap closed to the top of the tank using cable ties to the mounting bracket. Then fitted a new drain with larger diameter hose, tap etc to the clean-out cap. Took the cap into the shed to fit the hose fitting
(easy peasy) Sourced the hose and fittings from the local aquarium shop for about a tenner...ish. I saw-it that if all went wrong i'd just get a new red-cap and reinstate the old drain and think again :thumb:

regards....nige

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
terry

hi Terry,

i just happen to have a purpose made trap with a drain bung for cleaning........if its the correct bore:Doh:if not i'll bend the flexy pipe.:thumb:

i think if i try all the ideas posted i should get complemented on the scented rose water emiting from me tank. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

cheers
john

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes. the big cap is at the bottom.

i would prefer to keep my tap as its metal and has fitting for an extention hose to get to inaccessible dump points.

suppose i could just plug the existing hose end and as you said just ty-wrap it to the tank fixings and do as you did. i would need to lower the tap as it is the same height as the hose fitting but its only a thin metal bracket so no probs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back