Our first long trip away - a few basic calculations (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We drove 4612 miles at 31mpg averaging around 60 miles/day

bought around 150 gals of fuel at approx £5.50/gal (If my maths is right)

so cost approx £825 in diesel

Tolls in France/Spain and Portugal cost £281 :Eeek::whatthe:

Paid around £1000 in site fees

This would be extra to what I usually spend at home.

It totals around £2100

Divide by 83 days

Makes it around £25 per day

What great value :thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ahah...But have costed the extra meals out and beer into the equation :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That's useful, one of my retirement ideas is that we will book a flexible return ferry package, take 3000 euros and come home when skint or after 90 days

Sounds like it will be a doddle

Thanks

David

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Beer and long lunches

If I calulated those two items into the equation. :Eeek::Eeek:

I probably couldn't afford to go. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Coincidently we are just back after 84 days, starting in Amsterdam, through Belgium, Northern France, Atlantic Coast down to the Spanish Border, through the middle of Spain to Malaga, then up to Barcelona and back to Alicante. The van is still there, we go back in 6 weeks to go again. :thumb:

Total driven - 3,683 miles
Average fuel consumption - 27.1 mpg
Average speed - 42 mph
Total driving time - 87 hours
Total fuel bought - 148 gallons
Total cost of fuel - £802 or €955 or $1,282 depending where you live.

Above stats thanks to tripometer.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
And on the credit side, much reduced GAS ELECTRICITY and WATER bills at home.BUSBY::bigsmile:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Mike D. How did you get 31 Mpg ??? Best I could get from our Tracker was 27 !!!
Sounds like you had a great trip, and thats the bit we all focus on.. We did about 5000 Miles the year before last, going down the coast of France, Portugal, along the complete coast of spain and back up through France via the Milau.. Brilliant !!! About 90 days and cost us about £1000 for fuel and less than a grand for the rest.. Cheaper than staying home !!! Yes, it was a bit quick, but we wanted to see it all !!! Now we go back and "cherry pick" the bits we like best... We went so quick down the Portugese coast because the remnants of hurricane Ellie were showing up all down the Atlantic coast. Next time , we are going to take it slow, as we did last year along the Spanish coast, going from France as far as Cabo De Gat and turning round and coming back the same way!!! Mitch.. PS.. Interested in your Mpg. Are you "chipped" ??

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Am impressed by people's parsimony! We recently did 10 days in Belgium, and paid for everything on Halifax Clarity card. Total bill came to just over £1000 - although this did include the repatriation of 7 crates of excellent beer and 60 litres of quaffable wine...

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
No chips. Just a light right foot

Hi Mike D. How did you get 31 Mpg ??? Best I could get from our Tracker was 27 !!!
Sounds like you had a great trip, and thats the bit we all focus on.. We did about 5000 Miles the year before last, going down the coast of France, Portugal, along the complete coast of spain and back up through France via the Milau.. Brilliant !!! About 90 days and cost us about £1000 for fuel and less than a grand for the rest.. Cheaper than staying home !!! Yes, it was a bit quick, but we wanted to see it all !!! Now we go back and "cherry pick" the bits we like best... We went so quick down the Portugese coast because the remnants of hurricane Ellie were showing up all down the Atlantic coast. Next time , we are going to take it slow, as we did last year along the Spanish coast, going from France as far as Cabo De Gat and turning round and coming back the same way!!! Mitch.. PS.. Interested in your Mpg. Are you "chipped" ??

No re-chip fitted but we never went over 50 mph.

Used a lot of motorways hence the toll costs.

Real chill out touring. :thumb::thumb:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
£££

It's interesting to see other folks' facts and figures.

Our mpg is about 26 on average, but we avoid tolls like a fish avoiding the fryer.

It is great value until adding in the depreciation of the van etc, but we don't factor in that part!

Russell

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It's interesting to see other folks' facts and figures.

Our mpg is about 26 on average, but we avoid tolls like a fish avoiding the fryer.

It is great value until adding in the depreciation of the van etc, but we don't factor in that part!

Russell

If you have an old van like mine it cannot depreciate much more. Still trust it to take me anywhere. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back