Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Talking to a traffic PC I know today, and the talk soon went onto the law, roads and stuff, (as it does). Told him we had bought an MH, and asked him about changing a punctured wheel on the motorway. He amazed me by saying it is now illegal to change, or attempt to change, a wheel on ANY vehicle on the motorway. You have to call out your recovery company, (AA, RAC etc). If you have no recovery contract, there is a standing charge of £180.00.
So, the question must be asked. Why bother to carry a jack? Might as well call them out, providing you have a contract, and let them struggle with a heavy wheel, in the rain, and even say on a non-motorway road.
He also said that the AA, RAC, Green Flag blah blah, put a limit of 3500kg on a wheel change. Food for thought.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought a 6 tonne bottle jack from Lidl some years ago and used to carry it about with me. Then Dave Newell pointed out the potential difficulties and dangers of amateurs messing about with heavy wheels.

If we did have a problem, anywhere, I would leave it to the Pros to deal with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Not wishing to contradict your post. but all i have looked up in the latest information says;

its not illegal, just not advised and that you should inform the motorway agency / police before attempting the change.

not that its a great idea to change a wheel on a hard shoulder.:Doh:

be nice to have a link to the law that is clear and unambiguous :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wouldn't think it's illegal.

After all that's a very sick big bird.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I also am amazed.

But I can immediately guess who pushed for this law.

I still can't believe it. Are you sure ?

Just checked it out.

Yes it is under Reg 14 of the Motorway Traffic Regulations in England and Wales or Reg 12 of the same act in Scotland.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Anyway, just phoned him. He clarifies that "You will be stopped from continuing with any repair, wheel change, on the hard shoulder. Failure to comply will probably result in you being arrested".

I can see the point, but that seems a bit harsh, however...........:cry:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Pasted quote off google

28 Jun 2013 - Although it is not illegal to change a wheel on the motorway hard shoulder, the Highway Code advises against this and urges motorists not to :Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As mentioned by myself elsewhere.. I have quite a lot of dealings with someone ( ex plod ) who has become a legal eagle specifically dealing with road traffic acts and laws ( note, there IS a difference between an act and a law )

He has assured me it is NOT illegal but as mentioned ill advised.

His parting comment just now.....

The new breed of traffic police get an average 2 weeks training in traffic law. Most have little idea what is and is not legal.. As an example he sited the change in law which now allows undertaking if done for reasons of safety.. and that actually includes undertaking someone on a motorway sitting in the middle lane when the out side lane is busy.

If you should get stopped simply ask the officer to give act and law that says it is illegal :winky:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for that. Fine line, however. Firstly, I don't think that anyone in their right mind would want to attempt the bl**dy job with say an offside rear wheel on the M6 at anytime. Secondly, I bet you could get arrested for failing to comply......They can nick you for just saying 'bu**er off' these days.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The recovery Fellas generally want to piggy back you to "a safe place" Which is reasonable, when they are doing the change!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Whether its legal or not, there is no way I would attempt a wheel change on a motorway or dual carriageway. I do carry a 10 ton jack and spare wheel, so that if I was stuck out in the sticks with no phone signal I could at least take my time and change the wheel to get out of trouble. Many breakdown insurance companies state that they will only change a wheel if you have a serviceable spare wheel. How you would fair with one of the modern vans with no spare I dont know. Would you want to risk it on a dark, wet, Saturday night on your way to catch a Dover ferry. Its all a very grey dark area, that I would not like to be in, so will continue to carry my jack, wheel brace and spare, even if I have no intention of using it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The recovery Fellas generally want to piggy back you to "a safe place" Which is reasonable, when they are doing the change!

agreed John its the best option, but if its a rear tyre and most of our vans cant be lifted by the A**se end:Eeek:

also a recovery guy when lifting the front of our last van had me screaming at him to stop when he was oblivious to the length of the overhang :Doh:

his response " i knows what i is doin sir"
mine; " I'll take a photo now before you move and you'll pay for the damage caused then"

he, not being a happy teddy bear ( did i swear then ) put the van down and pi$$ed off:Eeek: i then got a call from RAC saying were sending another recovery who was brill :thumb:
so you gotta watch em with eagle eye:RollEyes:

Last edited:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Was there a post on here several days ago about someone who had a puncture on their lorry and the recovery agent would only change the wheel if the inside lane was closed off and the Highways agency wanted some fantastic figure, about £800, if I remember correctly, to shut the lane off.?

This is on the same lines as what is being discussed here.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was there a post on here several days ago about someone who had a puncture on their lorry and the recovery agent would only change the wheel if the inside lane was closed off and the Highways agency wanted some fantastic figure, about £800, if I remember correctly, to shut the lane off.?

This is on the same lines as what is being discussed here.

Read that, I thought it was £6000 to £8000!!

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Read that, I thought it was £6000 to £8000!!

I think your'e correct, they phoned one department and they said £800 but then discovered it was the wrong area, second area said a much larger amount, like you say in the £0000's

Vehicle owner siad "stuff that" and waited for their own recovery service to remove the vehicle from the Motorway.

Just imagine being told that you would have to pay £0000's to enable the lane to be closed in order to change the wheel on your Motorhome, even if you are with one of the Breakdown services. I'd get the Mrs to push it to the next exit.

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
As mentioned by myself elsewhere.. I have quite a lot of dealings with someone ( ex plod ) who has become a legal eagle specifically dealing with road traffic acts and laws ( note, there IS a difference between an act and a law )

Indeed - the whole caboodle is called 'Legislation' commonly referred to as the 'Law' - however the distinction is that there are Acts (e.g. The Road Traffic Act 1988) and Regulations (e.g. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986) - don't ask me why, I have no idea, and, the 'Law' in England & Wales is different to the 'Law' in Scotland and in Northern Ireland.

Daedalus

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
taken from "Ask".com

The difference between an act and a law is that whereas a law are rules and regulations passed by parliament to protect and guide the citizens of a country, acts are laws that are passed and relate to specific situations and circumstances.

Therefore acts will be enacted from time to time whereas laws stay constant over long periods of time.

I'm just as baffled now as I was before.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
I had a blow out last year on the M6 Near Leyland, in my new to me N&B over 4 tonne MH.
I called ADAC who called me back and said as I was over 3.5 tonnes it would cost me £400 to tow me off the motorway.
:Sad:
As I was only a few hundred metres from the exit I pulled off the motorway and parked on a side street.

I looked for the spare wheel and guess what. For all of that money, an 18 month old Arto, although you have 6 wheels you don't get a spare one:Doh:

Instead you get a repair kit, which according to those who know is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

So after much twoing and froing, I called kiwi-fit mobile who came out with a replacement tyre, but it was the wrong one, but the only one they had close.
They ordered me another from Northampton ( it was 4pm by then) and I settled in for the night.
10.30 next day they arrived and fitted the new tyre at a total cost of £120

What a result, they got my admiration.

So what surprised me was

1. No spare wheel on a very expensive MH
2. When I looked at the jack supplied with my 4.5 ton Motorhome, it had a max weight of 2 tonnes:Eeek:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
He also said that the AA,[HI] RAC[/HI], Green Flag blah blah,[HI] put a limit of 3500kg[/HI] on a wheel change. Food for thought.

I don't know the legalities of changing a wheel on the hard shoulder but I certainly wouldn't try it myself.

As a Caravan Club member I have RAC cover with "Arrival" and there is no restriction on vehicle weight, ours being 4250Kg.

Back in the Summer we had a puncture on a dual carriageway and managed to get into a good layby where the RAC changed our wheel and we were back on our way in just over an hour.

The tyre was beyond repair and this happened on a Saturday afternoon when the local tyre fitters were closed. Fortunately we carry a spare, otherwise we would have likely been held up until Monday or Tuesday to get a new carcass.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sorry " off topic" slightly the very reason i have my tyres filled with "puncture safe" is to avoid said incidents... that is unless the side wall becomes cut , then your knacked whatever.:Eeek:

also i am reliably informed, but willing to listen to more evidence!

that if you use the tyre repair kits that are with most vehicles then you will need to replace the tyre completely, as it MOSTLY renders the tyre irreparable :Doh:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Many breakdown insurance companies state that they will only change a wheel if you have a serviceable spare wheel. How you would fair with one of the modern vans with no spare I dont know. Would you want to risk it on a dark, wet, Saturday night on your way to catch a Dover ferry. Its all a very grey dark area, that I would not like to be in, so will continue to carry my jack, wheel brace and spare, even if I have no intention of using it.
Just resolved that very problem. Phoned my insurance company and asked them to amend the 'no spare - no service' clause, as I don't have one. Their response "No problem, we'll take you to the nearest garage for repair/replacement". And yes, I got it in black and writing.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just resolved that very problem. Phoned my insurance company and asked them to amend the 'no spare - no service' clause, as I don't have one. Their response "No problem, we'll take you to the nearest garage for repair/replacement". And yes, I got it in black and writing.

How many garages/tyre companies are open from 4 PM on Saturday till 9 AM Monday. Being taken to a closed garage is not much use unless you like sitting watching the world go bye over the weekend.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
motorway traffic regulation 14

If your vehicle develops a problem, leave the motorway at the next exit or pull into a service area. If you cannot do so, you should

pull on to the hard shoulder and stop as far to the left as possible, with your wheels turned to the left
try to stop near an emergency telephone (situated at approximately one-mile intervals along the hard shoulder)
leave the vehicle by the left-hand door and ensure your passengers do the same. You MUST leave any animals in the vehicle or, in an emergency, keep them under proper control on the verge. Never attempt to place a warning triangle on a motorway
do not put yourself in danger by attempting even simple repairs
ensure that passengers keep away from the carriageway and hard shoulder, and that children are kept under control
walk to an emergency telephone on your side of the carriageway (follow the arrows on the posts at the back of the hard shoulder) – the telephone is free of charge and connects directly to the Highways Agency or the police. Use these in preference to a mobile phone (see Rule 283). Always face the traffic when you speak on the phone
give full details to the Highways Agency or the police; also inform them if you are a vulnerable motorist such as disabled, older or travelling alone
return and wait near your vehicle (well away from the carriageway and hard shoulder)
if you feel at risk from another person, return to your vehicle by a left-hand door and lock all doors. Leave your vehicle again as soon as you feel this danger has passed.
Laws MT(E&W)R reg 14 & MT(S)R reg 12

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
motorway traffic regulation 14

walk to an emergency telephone on your side of the carriageway (follow the arrows on the posts at the back of the hard shoulder)
I never knew that ::bigsmile:

Often wondered how many folk walked the wrong way ::bigsmile:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I think your'e correct, they phoned one department and they said £800 but then discovered it was the wrong area, second area said a much larger amount, like you say in the £0000's

Vehicle owner siad "stuff that" and waited for their own recovery service to remove the vehicle from the Motorway.

Just imagine being told that you would have to pay £0000's to enable the lane to be closed in order to change the wheel on your Motorhome, even if you are with one of the Breakdown services. I'd get the Mrs to push it to the next exit.
you are correct 1st one i rang wanted between £600 and £1000 they went past (never stopped) and realised truck was'nt in their area, 1 hour later ATS man rang to see where they were to be told wrong area,absolutely disgusting:Angry:....2nd one wanted between £3000 and £8000. chap on phone said the last time they did this was 2 years ago and prices had gone up.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
you are correct 1st one i rang wanted between £600 and £1000 they went past (never stopped) and realised truck was'nt in their area, 1 hour later ATS man rang to see where they were to be told wrong area,absolutely disgusting:Angry:....2nd one wanted between £3000 and £8000. chap on phone said the last time they did this was 2 years ago and prices had gone up.

Thanks for that, i thought I had read it somewhere.

The big worry is:

Could the same thing happen to a Motorhome owner who has a puncture on the Motorway and the recovery service decides they can only change the wheel with a lane closed.?

Just imagine being told it's £1000 and they want paying prior to putting in place the closure.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
So what surprised me was

1. No spare wheel on a very expensive MH
2. When I looked at the jack supplied with my 4.5 ton Motorhome, it had a max weight of 2 tonnes:Eeek:

I'm a little surprised that you never thought to find out where the spare wheel was when you collected your new MH. You would then have realised that not all MHs have one. Luckily Auto-Trail supply one from new. :thumb:

Although your MH is 4.5t the jack would only be lifting one "corner", as it were, so the jack would be quite ok to do that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back