For whom the Toll Toll's (Ok I'm Leaving now. (1 Viewer)

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
I am new to this forum and new to Motorhoming so sorry if this has been covered before. On another thread "Carol" gave a very good run down of the route south through France that, to a large extent, avoided tolls. I have saved this advice for future use.

My question is; is there a map or list of the entire peage/motorway system in France/Europe that shows where the toll free sections are. This would allow a route to be prepared that reduced the travel cost and time to anywhere in France, or for that matter anywhere in Europe where there are toll roads.

JohnT

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am new to this forum and new to Motorhoming so sorry if this has been covered before. On another thread "Carol" gave a very good run down of the route south through France that, to a large extent, avoided tolls. I have saved this advice for future use.

My question is; is there a map or list of the entire peage/motorway system in France/Europe that shows where the toll free sections are. This would allow a route to be prepared that reduced the travel cost and time to anywhere in France, or for that matter anywhere in Europe where there are toll roads.

JohnT

Most maps including the cheap AA maps of France show toll motorways in a different color to non toll. Alternative is use non toll option on sat nav. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi, JohnT, and welcome

You could use https://maps.google.co.uk/ and that will give you a non-toll route if you ask for it under 'options'.

Regards
Rob & Val

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Plot any route on 'Viamichelin' and say no tolls, and that's what it does. Doesn't avoid the free mways though!

In the written instructions it actually shows you the road signs you'll see when you need to change to a different road or lane or whatever. We always used to use them with the motorbike as Mrs Navigator can't flick through the road atlas on the pillion like she does in an enclosed vehicle LOL

However, it won't tell you the actual tolls where it does or you do want to use toll roads as MoHo (class 2) isn't one of the choices.

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
It doesn't always work out cheaper to avoid all the tolls. We bought a truck sat nav from EBay for just over £40 and it has been a godsend. Apart from allowing you to program in the size of your vehicle it allows you to program a route and then look at avoiding certain sections. It will show you an alternative and the difference in time/miles. In some cases it turned out to be quicker and shorter to avoid the toll. On other routes the extra distance and time to avoid the toll would have cost more. If you are just meandering and don't care how long you are travelling for this is fine but if you have a destination in mind it could be a case of spend to save sometimes. ::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It doesn't always work out cheaper to avoid all the tolls. We bought a truck sat nav from EBay for just over £40 and it has been a godsend. Apart from allowing you to program in the size of your vehicle it allows you to program a route and then look at avoiding certain sections. It will show you an alternative and the difference in time/miles. In some cases it turned out to be quicker and shorter to avoid the toll. On other routes the extra distance and time to avoid the toll would have cost more. If you are just meandering and don't care how long you are travelling for this is fine but if you have a destination in mind it could be a case of spend to save sometimes. ::bigsmile:

Its not about saving money in my case its about seeing the towns villages and countryside. You see nothing on the motorways. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We are running down to bennidorm just after new year
So I would like a route that that is a mix of toll and toll free
Some sections of toll road have perfectly good alternatives that are free but what is a cost effective route
Dont fancy running on toll free if I could use toll road to do same distance in less time
So I suppose its a mixture of what you save in time and fuel compared to cost of toll roads

And for the seasoned travelers just how long from calais does it take to get down to bennidorm at say 8 hours driving in one day

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
We are running down to bennidorm just after new year
So I would like a route that that is a mix of toll and toll free
Some sections of toll road have perfectly good alternatives that are free but what is a cost effective route
Dont fancy running on toll free if I could use toll road to do same distance in less time
So I suppose its a mixture of what you save in time and fuel compared to cost of toll roads

And for the seasoned travelers just how long from calais does it take to get down to bennidorm at say 8 hours driving in one day

I'd recommend Michelin for a route too. We usually stop twice in France and once in Spain for somewhere like Bennidorm. That equates to about 7hrs driving each day. The biggest problem, we've found, is getting a place to stop in France. Aires are quite often occupied by, er, locals and sites generally closed, even when their published info says they're open. In fact, this year two of the sites we would normally use, in France, have decided to close for the first time, in our experience.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
In the past, we have nipped onto a motorway, just to find an aire.

Found some belters ::bigsmile:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Its not about saving money in my case its about seeing the towns villages and countryside. You see nothing on the motorways. BUSBY::bigsmile:

To be honest, although we mostly avoid toll roads, a lot of the towns and villages on main toll free routes can become a bit boring and time consuming. Sometimes if you have an end of the day destination in mind you're better off going straight there. The prettiest towns and villages are off the beaten track usually. This is just my opinion and I'm prepared for a lot of you to disagree with me.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
French route map

We bought a map that specifically shows which motorway roads are toll or not in France.

We did this at a service station just outside Calais.

Rouen and Chartre were a real pain off the toll road and took a huge amount of time to get through.

So we chose to use a bit of toll road and non toll as costs on the french toll roads mount up really quickly if you cover lots of miles.

But the"N" roads we used in France were fast and with a good surface.
:thumb::thumb:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Talking of Europe if you take a non toll road in IBroken Link Removed at the moment be careful. The toll roads are the only roads in can be relied on to be in decent condition, many of the A roads are bad especially at the bridges & flyovers where the joints on the roads surfaces are degrading to a point where metal pieces are sticking up. Rural roads are generally donkey tracks. I had to stick to more toll roads than I wanted for the sake of my vans suspension and my fillings:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back