Good drivers (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I drive far too many miles for work each year, I see a few too many lorries driving far too close to other vehicles, see white vans perform truly amazing manoeuvres and BMW's doing both while on the phone and writing notes

But I have never seen a badly driven MH, with one single exception when one went past me on the hard shoulder with loads of cars while I waited in a traffic jam

Aren't we a nice lot :Smile:

David

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Gosh David think both of those might have been my OH, he drives a BMW and took a test drive of the MH last week! You weren't the one beeping at the roundabout as well were you?:winky:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Maybe because we have time and a lot of money invested in the MH.

And we are all nice people:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I drive far too many miles for work each year, I see a few too many lorries driving far too close to other vehicles, see white vans perform truly amazing manoeuvres and BMW's doing both while on the phone and writing notes

But I have never seen a badly driven MH, with one single exception when one went past me on the hard shoulder with loads of cars while I waited in a traffic jam

David

It's the crockery.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It's the crockery.

My OH has done an amazing job with bubble wrap and cardboard for all upright things and that foamy mesh stuff for all other lay down breakables

Nothing could stop the suicidal glass jumping out of a high level cupboard when the slide out unlocked itself on a rough picnic area!!

I must just be extra nice ::bigsmile:

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I did 1280 miles last week for work and saturday drove the mh to the lake district its different driving when your relaxed and in no rush my work van is frustrating due to speed restrictor and it is tracked plus the staff in our office think milton keynes is near glasgow:ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Could it be because they are tight, erratic driving reflects in fewer mpg. It is one of the undiscovered mysteries of motorhomers. They don't mind paying £50k for a spanking new gin palace yet ask them to pay £10 to stay on a site or put their foot down to clear the convoy from their rear view mirror and they suffer convulsions. :Smile:

Last edited:

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi,So are you saying that when i drive my BMW i am a different person, so what if i drive my breakdown truck or the wifes smart car,perhaps i turn green or become a vampire,then again if i use the motorcycle then i know i am someone else as everyone aims for you,regards H.:ROFLMAO:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Could it be because they are tight, erratic driving reflects in fewer mpg. It is one of the undiscovered mysteries of motorhomers. They don't mind paying £50k for a spanking new gin palace yet ask them to pay £10 to stay on a site or put their foot down to clear the convoy from their rear view mirror and they suffer convulsions. :Smile:

£10 to stay on a site? You'll be lucky, our first week away in France cost us €3. Now we are both retired, we like to shop slowly on a Saturday, but I draw the line at driving everywhere at 37 mph like most older folk round here! Sometimes we get up to 60, but generally 56 or so, just to stop the lorries overtaking
Allan

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
£10 to stay on a site? You'll be lucky, our first week away in France cost us €3. Now we are both retired, we like to shop slowly on a Saturday, but I draw the line at driving everywhere at 37 mph like most older folk round here! Sometimes we get up to 60, but generally 56 or so, just to stop the lorries overtaking
Allan

You reckless little daredevil !!:Smile:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
60mph is about as much as my little RMB can manage. But I feel better as the speedo is in Km/h so I at least get to reach 100.

I don't know what it is, but I like plodding along in a MH. Felt the same with the hired Swift and the hired Hymer.

It's a far, far cry from the instant power of our everyday cars.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just follow me for a while.. Soon change your mind !:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi,So are you saying that when i drive my BMW i am a different person, so what if i drive my breakdown truck or the wifes smart car,perhaps i turn green or become a vampire,then again if i use the motorcycle then i know i am someone else as everyone aims for you,regards H.:ROFLMAO:

I didn't say 'ALL' BMW drivers

David

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
We tend to pull over, we don't like being 'The prat up front'

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie

David

Having been driving now since 1965 with only a couple of bumps, driving artics for 6 years and working in the recovery business for 8 years towing large trucks and cranes measuring many dozens of feet from front to rear with a stopping distance to match:Eeek: I don’t find my 8.5 metre MH much of a challenge to drive. How long will the law remain as it is with relatively inexperienced drivers able to jump in motor homes of this size (or larger) without any training? There is, of course, training available but this is on a voluntary basis and not a requirement of the law but for how long?
I watched a chap trying to park his MH on a pitch with the offside rear corner to the peg, it was almost embarrassing to see, even my grandchildren remarked on his inept attempts to park correctly, mind boggling stuff I tell you.
How many people on here found their MH a challenge to drive/manoeuvre when they first used it? Now be honest with us (and yourselves), this is NOT a weakness just lack of experience. Since a lot of us are from an older generation we are fairly experienced in our driving but some are not and have been limited to cars for much of our driving life.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Clio's !!!!

Do owners have to take a special advanced bad drivers course ?

Do the flat caps come with the cars ?

Do you have to have surgery when you own a Clio to make your ears stick out further from the flat cap ?

Do you have to go to the opticians to get special glasses with side flaps to ensure your tunnel vision is at maximum ?

Please answer on a LARGE postcard preferably in braille to.. Clio Owners club uk

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Motorhomers can be idiots when on site. A classic is that when you are on a deserted site and find your pitch,some plonker then comes and pitches up very close to you, Even though the pitches aren't allocated. Or the one I saw who left his pitch with his hook and external waste tank still connected,he disconnected his satellite dish though!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have to agree the general level of driving quality on the road is atrocious. It is so bad I have stopped being surprised, shocked or dismayed. Rather than a swearing session they now get a gentle shake of the head and a sub vocal tut.

I now drive extremely defensively and expect the worst from everyone.

I am With Dawn B on the pulling over. If I get more than a handful of cars behind me for 10 minutes or so I will look to pull over to let them on their way. I am a pain in the arse to be behind but I am a considerate pain the arse and won't hold you up for too long.:winky:

On motorways I follow a lorry until one overtakes me then I follow that one. It makes for much better fuel economy :thumb:

Except at junctions etc, If I have to use my brakes I swear at myself for not anticipating the cause of the braking.

You can generally judge how bad a driver is by how often they use their brakes on a relatively straight road in traffic.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Having been driving now since 1965 with only a couple of bumps, driving artics for 6 years and working in the recovery business for 8 years towing large trucks and cranes measuring many dozens of feet from front to rear with a stopping distance to match:Eeek: I don’t find my 8.5 metre MH much of a challenge to drive. How long will the law remain as it is with relatively inexperienced drivers able to jump in motor homes of this size (or larger) without any training? There is, of course, training available but this is on a voluntary basis and not a requirement of the law but for how long?
I watched a chap trying to park his MH on a pitch with the offside rear corner to the peg, it was almost embarrassing to see, even my grandchildren remarked on his inept attempts to park correctly, mind boggling stuff I tell you.
How many people on here found their MH a challenge to drive/manoeuvre when they first used it? Now be honest with us (and yourselves), this is NOT a weakness just lack of experience. Since a lot of us are from an older generation we are fairly experienced in our driving but some are not and have been limited to cars for much of our driving life.

Its just a big car. Many car drivers reverse into things. BUSBY::bigsmile:

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Motorhomers can be idiots when on site. A classic is that when you are on a deserted site and find your pitch,some plonker then comes and pitches up very close to you, Even though the pitches aren't allocated. Or the one I saw who left his pitch with his hook and external waste tank still connected,he disconnected his satellite dish though!
Some people go out to meet other like minded people, parking close by is maybe an attempt to be neighbourly, don't be to hard on them::bigsmile:.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
A while ago I was behind a car driver that indicated at every bend in the 2 mile stretch of road. When he did eventually turn off he didn't bother .
:swear:

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
A while ago I was behind a car driver that indicated at every bend in the 2 mile stretch of road. When he did eventually turn off he didn't bother .
:swear:

What about those clowns who indicate AS they turn? Where I live, indicators are a fad that never really caught on .....:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Maybe they spent their ONLY 50k buying the motorhome or have it on HP and can't afford the £10, I really get pissed off with that attitude time it was stopped on here.:Angry:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Aha, but my camper is/was a white van, so the occasional bit of road rage is expected :ROFLMAO:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Clio's !!!!

Do owners have to take a special advanced bad drivers course ?

Do the flat caps come with the cars ?

Do you have to have surgery when you own a Clio to make your ears stick out further from the flat cap ?

Do you have to go to the opticians to get special glasses with side flaps to ensure your tunnel vision is at maximum ?

Please answer on a LARGE postcard preferably in braille to.. Clio Owners club uk
you seen me driving my clio, have'nt you:ROFLMAO:
172 hp and i use every one of them:thumb: nothing gets past me:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back