Alde heating (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have the Alde system for hot water and heating, I pretty much understand it but am not sure about this.................

To avoid / reduce issues with freezing, I have set my heating to 8C on the 1Kw electric option, this means the wet heating system will operate if the temperature drops below 8C

I think though that this means I will also be permanently heating my hot water, there appears to be no option to turn this off independently

There is a tap icon on the controller but this is a hot water boost only

Am I right or is there a way to do heating without wasting electrics on water as well?

It might be that the extra cost of the water heating is too small to worry about, once it is warm it might not take much to keep it warm

David

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We also have the Alde system and you can't have heating without hot water.

The system is filled with anti-freeze similar to the engine so should not have a problem with freezing anyway.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not sure what type of control panel you have...

But we have a digital readout separate control panel for all heating and water...

We only ever put the heating on,,,, but because, I assume there is a double tank, (Central heating and water heater combined, ie a tank within a tank.),, one for the heating and one for the water... the water does get hot.... but not as hot as if the water was turned on...

Cant help much other than that.. sorry..:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

The system is filled with anti-freeze similar to the engine so should not have a problem with freezing anyway.

I wasn't really trying to protect the engine, but as we hope to use our MH through winter was trying to avoid the need to drain everything, this way we can be ready to go when we want, it is dark enough when we get home on Fridays without extra hassle of filling water. I can also leave everything in ready to go, I see quite a few take everything out including cushions, I really cant be bothered with that and don't have room to put it all in my house either!!

David

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not sure what type of control panel you have...

But we have a digital readout separate control panel for all heating and water...

We only ever put the heating on,,,, but because, I assume there is a double tank, (Central heating and water heater combined, ie a tank within a tank.),, one for the heating and one for the water... the water does get hot.... but not as hot as if the water was turned on...

Cant help much other than that.. sorry..:Sad:

So do you think you can turn hot water on without heating? The only way we can do this is to turn down the room heating thermostat so low it will not bring on heating. Ours is 08/09 it has a tap symbol which the books say is just a hot water boost which we have not used as yet, not needed it

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Just re-read your reply, ignore my bit about the engine!! Sorry

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
So do you think you can turn hot water on without heating? The only way we can do this is to turn down the room heating thermostat so low it will not bring on heating. Ours is 08/09 it has a tap symbol which the books say is just a hot water boost which we have not used as yet, not needed it

Yes.... we can turn the Hot water on without the heating... just means the Alde central heating pump does not start up.. and circulate the water in the radiators.. :thumb:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yes.... we can turn the Hot water on without the heating... just means the Alde central heating pump does not start up.. and circulate the water in the radiators.. :thumb:

Thanks, I guess we are doing similar things, or the controllers have been changed between our build dates. We have the option to turn the whole system on or off, then gas control on / off, but we only get hot water on its own by setting the room stat lower than we need to keep heating off. How would you set water only?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks, I guess we are doing similar things, or the controllers have been changed between our build dates. We have the option to turn the whole system on or off, then gas control on / off, but we only get hot water on its own by setting the room stat lower than we need to keep heating off. How would you set water only?

Every thing on our`s can be turned on independently.. IE

Hot water with a sliding guage for the heat required,,, central heating is the same... a button to select gas or electric...

The electric for water and central heating is three sections = 1Kw.. 2Kw or 3 Kw...

Only trouble with ours is the whole system has been wired through the inverter.. :Angry:

Which means if we put the Heating or water on 2Kw... the inverter is working it`s socks off..

Going to get Eddie at Vanbitz to sort it before we go abroad... :thumb:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Every thing on our`s can be turned on independently.. IE

Hot water with a sliding guage for the heat required,,, central heating is the same... a button to select gas or electric...

The electric for water and central heating is three sections = 1Kw.. 2Kw or 3 Kw...

Only trouble with ours is the whole system has been wired through the inverter.. :Angry:

Which means if we put the Heating or water on 2Kw... the inverter is working it`s socks off..

Going to get Eddie at Vanbitz to sort it before we go abroad... :thumb:

Thanks for that, yours sounds better except the inverter bit, ours is a digital controller no slides, all or nothing though. Hopefully yours is the newer as it seems better, but that would defy normal progress!!

David

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks for that, yours sounds better except the inverter bit, ours is a digital controller no slides, all or nothing though. Hopefully yours is the newer as it seems better, but that would defy normal progress!!

David

I`ll take a photo tomorrow, and stick it up... :thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hot water without heat can only be had in a couple of ways with the digital panel with the 5 buttons.

you can set room temp lower than it actually is so the heating system doesn't run.
or you can turn the circulation pump off.

if i remember correctly the the gas burner is in the centre of the boiler , surrounding the gas burner is a water jacket for the heating system which has the electric elements in and on the outside is the water jacket for the hot water which can be drained off for wintering but the heating can still be used.

the tap icon on the panel stops the circulation pump and raises the water temp to 80 degrees and gives this for 30 minutes to enable more hot water sooner after a shower.
this is good if you want a longer shower as the water is so hot you run the shower at 80% cold 20% hot to start with and increase the hot as it cools.

loads of info here http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=1

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
hot water without heat can only be had in a couple of ways with the digital panel with the 5 buttons.

you can set room temp lower than it actually is so the heating system doesn't run.
or you can turn the circulation pump off.

if i remember correctly the the gas burner is in the centre of the boiler , surrounding the gas burner is a water jacket for the heating system which has the electric elements in and on the outside is the water jacket for the hot water which can be drained off for wintering but the heating can still be used.

the tap icon on the panel stops the circulation pump and raises the water temp to 80 degrees and gives this for 30 minutes to enable more hot water sooner after a shower.
this is good if you want a longer shower as the water is so hot you run the shower at 80% cold 20% hot to start with and increase the hot as it cools.

loads of info here http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=1

Thanks Andy

That is more or less as mine and as we do, I am yet to master turning off the circulation, this seems to be on all the time, or might just come on when stat turns heating on, can't remember now, but sure I have no option to turn it off. That would be useful overnight as it is quiet but loud enough to wake me up

Just need to weigh up extra cost of heating water when temp drops, against burst pipes!!

David

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you can drain the domestic water system off and leave the heating on.

it is worth reading the control panel manual as you can set the heating to come on and off on a timer so its not on all the time.
you can also set a different temperature for night time so it cools down whilst you are in bed and fires up again before you get up i use this function to stop us overheating in bed it i have it set to 14 degrees from 10 pm and goes back to 19.5 degrees from 7 am.

the only thing i have found problem with is it is it can be fairly greedy if using it on gas alone.
other than that its a great system.

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
We have the Alde system for hot water and heating, I pretty much understand it but am not sure about this.................

To avoid / reduce issues with freezing, I have set my heating to 8C on the 1Kw electric option, this means the wet heating system will operate if the temperature drops below 8C

I think though that this means I will also be permanently heating my hot water, there appears to be no option to turn this off independently

Am I right or is there a way to do heating without wasting electrics on water as well?

It might be that the extra cost of the water heating is too small to worry about, once it is warm it might not take much to keep it warm

David

Here you go David...

Self explanitary really... don't know if it`s the same control panel as yours..

The little knob is for extra blown air if your feet get cold... there is a blower behind one of the low radiators by the boiler.. :thumb:

Attachments

• P1040386 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1040386 (600 x 450).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 40
  • P1040384 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1040384 (600 x 450).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Here you go David...

The little knob is for extra blown air if your feet get cold... there is a blower behind one of the low radiators by the boiler.. :thumb:

I do like this forum and the effort you lot are prepared to go to to help the rest.

Mine is completely different, I will return photo later when home.

I am not overly surprised everything on mine seems to be different, I think it was a prototype for all new features in 2008, all of which got abandoned!!

Thanks David

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Here you go David...

There is a certain amount of sadness with grown men trading photos of MH heating control boxes!!

Just how different could they be (very), is your MH newer than 08 or older, my thought was your new MH is newer than mine, I hope it is, your more mechanical biased controller looks so much more practical than mine it would be nice to see a return to more logical control

I like the idea put in by aba about different time / temp controls sounds good, I need more time reading rules I guess, can you do that with yours?

Thanks for your support, technically I am not much further forward but it is good to share ::bigsmile: :thumb:

David

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 27

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs

David
We had Alde heating on our Defleffs, you could run the heating without the water. There was three symbols on our control and I think it was the top one, but your book should tell you which one. Just part ex 'ed camper so don't have book any more
Pete

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
There is a certain amount of sadness with grown men trading photos of MH heating control boxes!!

Just how different could they be (very), is your MH newer than 08 or older, my thought was your new MH is newer than mine, I hope it is, your more mechanical biased controller looks so much more practical than mine it would be nice to see a return to more logical control

I like the idea put in by aba about different time / temp controls sounds good, I need more time reading rules I guess, can you do that with yours?

Thanks for your support, technically I am not much further forward but it is good to share ::bigsmile: :thumb:

David

Our`s is a 2012...

It`s about the only control I have mastered...:Doh:

Not been much help to you, really... but hope you get sorted... :thumb:

I like simple... :RollEyes::Smile:

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009

David

if its any help the later digital panel can be purchased from alde. to replace your panel. its plug and play 10 mins to fit and much easier to use. well worthwile:thumb:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Alde

Hi

You cannot get heating without heating the hot water too.

I took some pics of the inside of a boiler with my explanation of how it works - have a read here if you want

Russell

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi

You cannot get heating without heating the hot water too.

I took some pics of the inside of a boiler with my explanation of how it works - have a read here if you want

Russell

Many thanks for that, you start to think you are either losing it, or have the only version of your system in the world

However what has come out of this is there are a few Alde variants around, so some can and some can't turn off the water when using the heating. I am going to have to factor in the waste of energy (and associated cost) keeping water warm, against the risk of frozen pipes / fittings and damp in MH.

I think the extra cost is small enough to live with, if any clever sod thinks he knows how much it will cost me, please keep it to themselves, I would rather not know!! :Eeek:

David

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
We have a 2015 swift Bolero (4 weeks old) and have just returned from a night in it where we couldn't seem to get the heating to come on.

Also tried the switch for the hot air blower (under the lounge seat) and that didn't work....the blower didn't come on. We had got plenty of hot water though.....enough for a hot shower.

The thermostat was set for about 7 degrees above the ambient temperature and the heating worked fine last weekend. We were on hookup but also tried switching it on to gas....still no heating (and it was bloody cold....I had to warm myself with my hairdryer after my shower, so cold I couldn't get dry!)

Any suggestions as to what we can try to get it working, are we missing something?.....otherwise it's a trip back to the dealers for a repair job

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
Ooops.....just realised I have posted on a really old thread......oh well, answers would still be appreciated!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The only thing I can think of is that the pump wasn't running. If you were getting hot water then the boiler is obviously working.

Assuming you have a 3010 control panel did you have the pump symbol on the display? It's a circle with two arrows and should be in the top left corner. If it wasn't there the pump wasn't running and that's why you didn't have heating.

Have a look in the tool menu and make sure that the Auto pump facility is switched on. The symbol is the same but with an A in the middle.

Link to the manual: http://www.alde.co.uk/downloads/alde_3010-613_user.pdf Section 8/9 for the tool menu.

If this isn't it then I would go back to the dealer.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have a 2015 swift Bolero (4 weeks old) and have just returned from a night in it where we couldn't seem to get the heating to come on.

Also tried the switch for the hot air blower (under the lounge seat) and that didn't work....the blower didn't come on. We had got plenty of hot water though.....enough for a hot shower.

The thermostat was set for about 7 degrees above the ambient temperature and the heating worked fine last weekend. We were on hookup but also tried switching it on to gas....still no heating (and it was bloody cold....I had to warm myself with my hairdryer after my shower, so cold I couldn't get dry!)

Any suggestions as to what we can try to get it working, are we missing something?.....otherwise it's a trip back to the dealers for a repair job
We also have a 4 week old Bolero (684FB).
You have answered a question for me (y)
I was going to ask what that switch under the lounge seat was for.......now I know. :D
I am going to try out the heating system today and will let you know the results.

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
We also have a 4 week old Bolero (684FB).
You have answered a question for me (y)
I was going to ask what that switch under the lounge seat was for.......now I know. :D
I am going to try out the heating system today and will let you know the results.

Well John, although we know what the switch is for, we can't actually see the point of having a blower under the seat. There is a vent in the front of the seat base (you probably have too) but if the underseat storage is full, the warm air probably wouldn't come through the vent into the van. The person sitting on that seat would have a nice warm butt if the heat managed to pass through the thick seat cushion.....can you think what the point of it is?

Anyway, Sod's law....the non working heating was bugging us so we went back out to the van on the drive to put Nicknics suggestion to the test (checking that the little pump symbol was on), put the gas on and......lo and behold, after freezing half to death while we were away for the night, the heating just came straight on. Perhaps disconnecting the hookup somehow reset the system so it works?????

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Well John, although we know what the switch is for, we can't actually see the point of having a blower under the seat. There is a vent in the front of the seat base (you probably have too) but if the underseat storage is full, the warm air probably wouldn't come through the vent into the van. The person sitting on that seat would have a nice warm butt if the heat managed to pass through the thick seat cushion.....can you think what the point of it is?

Anyway, Sod's law....the non working heating was bugging us so we went back out to the van on the drive to put Nicknics suggestion to the test (checking that the little pump symbol was on), put the gas on and......lo and behold, after freezing half to death while we were away for the night, the heating just came straight on. Perhaps disconnecting the hookup somehow reset the system so it works?????
To get it to work on mains you need to ensure the power switch is on in the Sargent Ec450 and set the Alde panel to 1, 2 or 3kw, the gas setting is directly on the control panel for the Alde system.
If it works on gas only, you have no mains power to it.

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
To get it to work on mains you need to ensure the power switch is on in the Sargent Ec450 and set the Alde panel to 1, 2 or 3kw, the gas setting is directly on the control panel for the Alde system.
If it works on gas only, you have no mains power to it.

We did have hookup when it wouldn't work and I had used kettle and hairdryer so I know the electric supply was okay ....we also tried switching heating to gas but still nothing

When we got home we tried it on gas again and it worked straight away. Strange!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We did have hookup when it wouldn't work and I had used kettle and hairdryer so I know the electric supply was okay ....we also tried switching heating to gas but still nothing

When we got home we tried it on gas again and it worked straight away. Strange!!

When you were on site and it wasn't working did you try turning it off, waiting 30 seconds and turning it back on again?

Always worth a go when anything electronic is playing up. As you said, resetting it may well have solved it.

If it's working now forget about it - there's no problem to find.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back