Tyres (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I need to replace two tyres on my Motorhome.

I have read in Magazines that I should only use "Camper" tyres as Motorhomes are usually run close to Maximum Weight, but that these can suffer from supply problems. (My tyres are currently Michelin Camper).

Does everyone follow this advice or are people running on "ordinary" commercial vehicle tyres?

Are "Camper" tyres difficult to obtain?

Can anyone recommend a tyre dealer in South East Wales?

Grateful for any advice available out there !

I could not find a previous thread on this but, if one exists, please point me in the right direction and forgive my ignorance.
:Confused:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
depends where in South Wales, but Sardis rd tyres in pontypridd do camper tyres. had no problem getting conti vanco through them.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Autoquest still had its original tyres when we bought it so when I replaced them I bought the same brand (Goodyear I think, from memory).

The Burstner has Michelin Camping tyres on the back but another brand (can't remember which) on the front. The dealer put the front ones on because the tread was low on the existing ones (which were not camping tyres).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I use Michelin Camper tyres never had a problem getting them I just use the local tyre depot and they get them in within a couple of days. :thumb:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I changed a couple of years to Vredenstein Comtracs after a recommendation from another member who knows a lot more about tyres than I ever will.

They run at lower pressures than Michelins, softer on the ride and seem to steer with a little more precision. Apparently greatly favoured by German andDutch motorhomers.

Have a look at Oponeo and Reifen websites, prices are excellent and usually received within a week.

Mike

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Camper Tyres

According to MH Press "Camper" tyres are manufactured specifically for motorhomes as they are rarely run at much below maximum weight and, therefore, the tyres tend to be used at higher inflation pressures. MH's also spend a lot of time parked and standing on the one part of the tyre.

"Ordinary" van tyres offer a compromise between the vehicle being light/ empty and full/heavy so run at lower pressures. This probably explains why the ride can sometimes feel harsh if the MH is not fully loaded.

I don't understand why it should make such a difference but a MH Magazine article made it sound like a safety issue to swap "Camper" for ordinary tyres.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Look in the 'downloads' section of 'Fun' and you should find a pdf leaflet from 'Tyre safe' telling you all about the technical aspects of tyres, loading and inflation pressures.
CP (camper) tyres have a stiffer side wall then standard van tyres to accommodate long periods of inactivity (by the motorhome, not the driver).
I have had standard Continental van tyres on mine for over 6 years without problems.
Be aware that CP tyres normally run at higher pressures than standard van tyres and if you are inflating to above 4.5 bar / 65 PSI, they should be fitted with metal stemmed valves designed for higher pressures. Standard valves are rated only up to 65 PSI.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Michelin Agilis XC Camping Tyres are what we have always used

They usually have to be ordered in but all reputable tyre companies should be able to get these for you within 24 hours.

Do shop around as prices for new tyres do vary

hope that is helpful

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
If your looking for 215 70 R 15 CP tyres have a look here, Link Removed

Bought one for a spare, tyre was dated 06 13 so not many months old and at that price cheaper than just getting a tyre, just need to get a courier to pick them up :thumb:

Nigel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back