How long will my propane last? (1 Viewer)

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
Ok firstly I can see how it looks a silly questions but the parameters are set, so I'm hoping from experience somebody will be able to advise.

Just swapped to propane cylinders, ready for the alps next week.

The parameters;

2 x 13 kg cylinders both full.

Trauma combi on half heat from approx 5pm to 10pm each evening, 20 mins of cooking per day on one burner.

Well folks can anyone give me a clue based on that usage each day, every day?

I've tried many formulas I've found on line and the answers very so wildly I'm just hoping for some good old "been there, done that" advice from experience.

Thanks

Justin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
ready for the alps next week.
Justin

That's not much heat if constantly below zero, you might survive but will your pipes ?

Many clues on here but you'll need to do some searching. Try advanced search for "skying" with user name "haganap". He does this every year.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As Hilldweller says, Haganap (Paul) is probably best able to advise. I have no experience of motorhoming in the Alps, but for what it's worth, in December in the Peak District at temperatures well below zero (e.g. -10ºC), we have used a full Gaslow 11 kg cylinder in about three days. That was to power the Truma which was on all the time (at tick-over when we were out and overnight) plus cooking. If it is really cold and you don't keep the Truma on (or have a small electric heater if on hook-up) you risk freezing pipes / tanks and the Truma safety dump valve will open and drop the water out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a full Gaslow 11 kg cylinder in about three days. .

From memory that was my usage in Scotland at minus a few degrees.

To save gas I did use electric heat but the pipes froze - the gas heats the pipes, the electric does not.

I know nothing of the "winterisation" of the OP's MH.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
If it's any help.
Two years ago leaving our place in temperatures of -12 or so, we travelled down to Portugal from our home in Northern France in early February. Taking our time we took around 2 weeks to get to sunnier climes where we didn't need any heating on. During that time we used nearly 2 x 13 kg propane bottles.
To be on the safe side now we take an additional bottle in the rear locker. :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Your water system WILL freeze if you don't run your heating and boiler 24/7!

Figure on using one of your bottles every 3-4 days, depending on the outside temperatures.:Smile:

We have diesel heating ourselves, but we have the shared experiences of other skiing Funsters!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
During our spell of -20C I was getting 18KG cylinders and they were lasting 1 week but that was in my big van. Now I am on gaslow in a small van and I fill up my 11KG cylinder once per week in the winter.

2 x 11KG should be good for a fortnight in freezing conditions in a small van. Using an external windscreen cover makes a difference.

I have my heating on 24/7 and cook and heat water and boil the kettle. I am a fulltimer.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've been in the Alps in winter skiing as well and as Jon says you'll need the heating running 24 hrs or you'll freeze up. How long the gas will last depends on how well your van is insulated the better it is the longer the gas will last. At best even in a well insulated van like ours your looking at 5/6 days on 1 bottle, running the heating 24 hours plus cooking and hot water for showering and washing up. We set the thermostat on 12c at night and when we're out during the day and 22/24 in the evening when we're inside. But in less well insulated vans a bottle can be empty in 2 or 3 days.
Hope this helps:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back