LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As we were going out earlier today I noticed a card (see attached) stuck under the windscreen wiper on the van (which is parked on our drive).

No company name or address, just a mobile number, so just a heads up for anyone local to watch out.

Attachments

• card.jpg
    card.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 315

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmmm.. a wee bit of extra security over the coming weeks methinks mate..

Wheel clamps and or BIG chain round front axle to a fixed point in the landscape !!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is cheaper to buy a wheel clamp and a chain than pay extra insurance for several years if it does go missing !!

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is cheaper to buy a wheel clamp and a chain than pay extra insurance for several years if it does go missing !!

That's what I thought after I posted John, thanks.

Just about to go out and get one. I also remembered we have a couple of those alarm padlocks for the bikes so I may well put them on the bike rack as well - they go off if moved.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Electrify it Graham - that will teach the sods:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
two remote controlled .50 machine guns should work .

Electrify it Graham - that will teach the sods:thumb:

I like both suggestions :roflmto:

The van now has a big, heavy and obvious wheel clamp on its offside front wheel and two alarm padlocks on the bike rack. It's a bit annoying, though, that I've had to spend £100+ just because of a perceived threat from some low life scum.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hope my two RVs are safe looked up not too far away
Oh well I am too far away to worry about it now
Sun in Spain is so good after the past two weeks in Uk:RollEyes:::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
an auto electrician mate of mine worked out a way to wire an ignition coil to the door handle of his van. any scumbag forcing the door open would get a few thousand volts up their arm:thumb:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'm confused by this, if some low life was out to steal your motorhome/caravan why would they advertise that fact by leaving a leaflet on your windscreen pretending to want to buy it?

What am I missing?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm confused by this, if some low life was out to steal your motorhome/caravan why would they advertise that fact by leaving a leaflet on your windscreen pretending to want to buy it?

What am I missing?

could be a variation on an old trick....

it used to be, and probably still is, an innocent looking chalk mark on your gatepost or drive.
this then becomes a visual signal for some other scroat in the same criminal gang as to which house to burgal...or in this case, steal a motorhome/car/caravan.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
could be a variation on an old trick....

it used to be, and probably still is, an innocent looking chalk mark on your gatepost or drive.
this then becomes a visual signal for some other scroat in the same criminal gang as to which house to burgal...or in this case, steal a motorhome/car/caravan.

Surely the mh/car/ van would be obvious enough without a flyer on the windscreen:Sad:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I imagine if the thing hasn't been removed by the person that owns the van/car/caravan etc within X amount of time, it means he ain't looking at it very often - so scroat Mk2 will be able to remove the Cat. etc etc and devise the best way of breaking and entering in his own time ......

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Have you rang the number on the card? Sometimes there are self employed agents who see a vehicle and place a card on the screen just in case someone is thinking of selling. They usually offer a silly price though as they have to make some money when selling it on.

You get a lot of these cards if you have a special number plate, for example BMW XXX

I seem to recognise the picture, looked through a couple of the mags but can't see it anywhere.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
They are not as daft as you are paranoid !
By putting a card on your windscreen you then are aware and spend money beefing up security,why wouldn't they just nick it in the first place?
Perhaps his brother sells locks and wheel clamps. :ROFLMAO:
Try the number:Doh:

Vlad

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They are not as daft as you are paranoid !
By putting a card on your windscreen you then are aware and spend money beefing up security,why wouldn't they just nick it in the first place?
Perhaps his brother sells locks and wheel clamps. :ROFLMAO:
Try the number:Doh:

Vlad

Lots on here seem to be paranoid about something, admitted I am fortunate to live in the middle of the country side here but if someone had put that on my screen it would never have crossed my mind that it was anything more than someone trying to make a buck, you get them on supermarket car parks all the time, they are not going back there to rob you there are they.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

What am I missing?
They buy the vehicle with a bent bank draft / cheque or transfer from a compromised bank account. By the time you realise, your pride an joy will have been long gone :(

If the phone number on the card was for a legit company, it'd almost certainly come up on a google search :Angry:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

What am I missing?

I thought exactly the same...BUSBY:roflmto:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They buy the vehicle with a bent bank draft / cheque or transfer from a compromised bank account. By the time you realise, your pride an joy will have been long gone :(

If the phone number on the card was for a legit company, it'd almost certainly come up on a google search :Angry:

If you are sensible you only accept cash for any transaction. BUSBY:roflmto:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

[HI]If the phone number on the card was for a legit company, it'd almost certainly come up on a google search[/HI] :Angry:

First thing I did before starting this thread. Just tried again and it doesn't.

A week or so afterwards a transit was broken into next door. It belongs to their son who is a landscape gardener. Three hedge trimmers (all they could get out of the driver door) were stolen.

As I said on the Autotrail thread, we have now installed CCTV mainly covering the van and the rest of the drive. I've put signs in the van telling people that they've already been recorded if they are reading them. Hopefully that will deter any thieves.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Originally Posted by Mousy View Post

What am I missing?
I thought exactly the same...BUSBY:roflmto:

Pappajohn gave the answer in post #16 :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you are sensible you only accept cash for any transaction. BUSBY:roflmto:

A lot of people won't take cash anymore, think its counterfeit .
Btw , why has this thread appeared again did anyone find out if it was scammers or was it genuine :Smile:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A lot of people won't take cash anymore, think its counterfeit .
Btw , [HI]why has this thread appeared again[/HI] did anyone find out if it was scammers or was it genuine :Smile:

Probably because I pointed to it on the Stolen Autotrail thread. We never found out if it was scammers but, as I said, a Transit next door was broken into shortly afterwards.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams

I'd hope people were not that gullible that they would fall for a faked cheque or a false transfer ,after all it only takes is a phone call to your bank to check!
DONT RELEASE ANYTHING UP FOR SALE UNTILL FUNDS HAVE CLEARED!
:Doh: I forgot if they're that good they'd set up a false branch ::bigsmile:

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back