LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thnking about a new lappie as my Toshie 19" is too big for m/home.

Quite fancy this one .

Any opinions please? :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Looks a good spec, good make.

5h battery not brilliant but no doubt will do.

Not sure about touch screen though. You know the problem of finger marks by now, do you want those fingerprints on a laptop.

You could spend half as much and get the same computing power and since it's for a MH that's half as much grief if it gets dropped or stolen.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Looks a good spec, good make.

5h battery not brilliant but no doubt will do.

Not sure about touch screen though. You know the problem of finger marks by now, do you want those fingerprints on a laptop.

You could spend half as much and get the same computing power and since it's for a MH that's half as much grief if it gets dropped or stolen.

i5 with 8 gig RAM? show me please! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
Although I'm not a computer expert, I think you can do a lot better at a lower price.
My experiance of P.C. World is that they can easily be beaten on price by going else where.
If I was to buy a new Lap Top I would first google best lap top 2013 or something similer. Which magazine are very good and for a small outlay you will get a very good independent review.
If money is not an issue, it's got to be a Mac. My L.T. is a dell Studio. Not the best L.T's but I find them quite robust.

It's a bit of a minefield out there now, especially with the palm tops making a big impact in the market place. A good time to buy a L.T. I think, as prices will be down.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Asus are good machines.

As I posted Broken Link Removed the other day on Soggy's thread I've had one of the same overall family for nearly a year and been very pleased with it. I very rarely use the touch screen as I prefer the keyboard and mobile mouse but there wasn't an option to have the machine without it - makes no odds really.

The HP laptop I use at home has a Core i5-3210M processor and is plenty fast enough, but so is the i3 processor in the Vivobook.

I've always liked Acer laptops as well (they used to build the Thinkpads for IBM). If you don't need such a large hard drive and memory (adding extra memory is normally easy) then you might consider the Acer Aspire E1-570 or the HP Pavilion 15-e078sa which are a fair bit cheaper.

If I'm looking for a new machine I normally go into PC World and play with the display models to compare them.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i5 with 8 gig RAM? show me please! :thumb:

You've got me there. I should have said enough computing power :Sad:

The PCW prices are pretty hot, dearer on ebay.

The model below, same screen size is as close as I can get quickly....

ASUS X551CA-SX024H 15.6" £329

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Asus are good machines.

As I posted Broken Link Removed the other day on Soggy's thread I've had one of the same overall family for nearly a year and been very pleased with it. I very rarely use the touch screen as I prefer the keyboard and mobile mouse but there wasn't an option to have the machine without it - makes no odds really.

The HP laptop I use at home has a Core i5-3210M processor and is plenty fast enough, but so is the i3 processor in the Vivobook.

I've always liked Acer laptops as well (they used to build the Thinkpads for IBM). If you don't need such a large hard drive and memory (adding extra memory is normally easy) then you might consider the Acer Aspire E1-570 or the HP Pavilion 15-e078sa which are a fair bit cheaper.

If I'm looking for a new machine I normally go into PC World and play with the display models to compare them.

So do I Graham then look for best price. Steph has an Acer and I have to say I am impressed with it. :thumb:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
It really depends what you want to use it for.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought both my home laptop and the van Vivobook in the sales at PC World after last Christmas. It could be worth waiting until then as the prices are likely to be lower.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am impressed by the spec Ken.

Looks good to me...

8 gigs of RAM !

I've only got 3 on my phablet.

[HI]What's Windows 8 like?[/HI]

JJ :Cool:

I like Windows 8 but I do have my machines set up to run more in classic fashion. The tiles screen comes up when the machines are switched on but I just click on the Desktop tile and work from the shortcuts I've placed there. As yet I haven't bothered changing to 8.1 as I haven't felt the need.

Windows 7 is OK as well.

The secret with all OSs is really having a machine which has sufficient power to cope with the demands of the OS and the software you want to run. If a phablet with 3 Gig does the job then why bother with anything else?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Also I want one with an optical drive for installing my software without farting about with a separate unit. :RollEyes:

I've got an external DVD writer which I bought when I had my first (Acer) netbook but it is hardly ever used. Installing software on the subsequent netbook and Vivobook was a 1-off exercise so not much of a fart about.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the replies I do value them since he who lives on a hill put me onto the Nexus rather than the Kindle ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I am a funny bugger when it comes to computers (quiet at the back you lot)
I wish I had a pound for everyone I know who bought a machine just up to the job then a month later were whinging about how slow it was or somesuch. so I always go for the best in my (Steph's) budget. :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am also a fan of Dell laptops. My current one is 7 years old or more and still going strong.

I would never never never buy from PCWorld or any part of the Dixons Store Group (DSG) though.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am a funny bugger when it comes to computers

OK your choice.

Realistically I think you are talking of having 90% idle time or 92% idle time.

Have you ever pulled up task manager and looked at the performance graph, I've got mine running now and I can manage 2% typing on this old 2 core processor, 4gig RAM.

I've now got a movie playing and typing and I'm managing 18% peak loading and 539MB of RAM in use.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I always check to see if I can get what I want from John Lewis - 'never knowingly undersold' + an extra year's warranty on computer hardware at no extra charge + great customer service - any problems or not happy with the item, they'll always sort it out. :thumb:

I'd pay a pound or two more if necessary, for the extra peace of mind. But, as I said, depends if they stock what you want.

Can buy in store or online.

Mike

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I always check to see if I can get what I want from [HI]John Lewis[/HI] - 'never knowingly undersold' + an extra year's warranty on computer hardware at no extra charge + great customer service - any problems or not happy with the item, they'll always sort it out. :thumb:

[HI]I'd pay a pound or two more if necessary[/HI], for the extra peace of mind. But, as I said, depends if they stock what you want.

Can buy in store or online.

Mike

Very good point Mike, but without wishing to steal Ken's thread I am still using XP as when I had this desktop built I wasn't to sure of windows 7 and ordered the older O/Sys.

JJ has already mentioned it but how good is Win 8 or what does it do that my old XP doesn't?

I'm using Microsoft Essentials and they have announced that they won't do anymore updates for XP so might want to change........Griff

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Novatech

You might not have heard of them but UK company since 1987 based in Portsmouth selling from shop & online, free technical/sales advice line before & after you buy, you get a lot of machine for your money & great reviews including from Which? We have had several of their machines over the years & they have always been excellent.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Laptop

Looks a decent machine but I would say spend a bit more and get yourself an Apple Macbook Air. I have the 11.5 version and I think its' the dogs ..... in terms of build quality speed software etc nothing have had previously can touch it. That includes Acer, Assus and HP. The Apple product will outlast them all. Mine is in daily use, still pristine and has never put a foot wrong.

It's expensive but you do get what you pay for and if you have an iPhone, there really is no substitute.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Very good point Mike, but without wishing to steal Ken's thread I am still using XP as when I had this desktop built I wasn't to sure of windows 7 and ordered the older O/Sys.

JJ has already mentioned it but how good is Win 8 or what does it do that my old XP doesn't?

I'm using Microsoft Essentials and they have announced that they won't do anymore updates for XP so might want to change........Griff

Yes, I stuck with XP for a very long time - it does what it says on the tin, so to speak and works very well. We still have it on a couple of machines, but I bought a new laptop last year with Win 7, and which seems OK - but not sure it's really any better than XP for what we need. Also use Linux on a couple of machines, and like that too, especially the speed.

Mike

(PS The sat-nav's still going strong - took us all over the continent a couple of times this year. :thumb: M.)

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Looks a decent machine but I would say spend a bit more and get yourself an Apple Macbook Air. I have the 11.5 version and I think its' the dogs ..... in terms of build quality speed software etc nothing have had previously can touch it. That includes Acer, Assus and HP. The Apple product will outlast them all. Mine is in daily use, still pristine and has never put a foot wrong.

It's expensive but you do get what you pay for and if you have an iPhone, there really is no substitute.

Sorry don't do anything Apple. :Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have an HP i5-2410m cpu @ 2.30 ghz, 15 inch laptop, 500gb HD, 4gb RAM. I've now had it for 2 years and it is in use for hours and hours at a time and works great. I changed from buying Toshiba laptops to HP for work colleagues as the HP ones lasted a lot better and didn't give any problems.

I also have a smaller Samsung NP-X120 mini-laptop (not a netbook) which I bought specifically to take away on holiday with me so that I didn't have to take my 'valuable' HP one away, plus being 13" it is smaller, lighter and has a better battery life, but it works very well.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Apple

Sorry don't do anything Apple. :Smile:

I didn't do anything Apple, then one day I was out shopping and went in to an Apple store out of curiosity. I was so impressed with the products I bought one. Haven't looked back.

I don't say Apple is everyones cup of tea but I would say it's probably worth going into an Apple store simply out of interest if given the chance. Totally different to the likes of Currys, and PC World etc. The staff really know what they are talking about, they know the products inside out and there is no pressure to purchase. The customer is King, they even have free workshops and tutorials.

But each to their own of course.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We do both Apple and Windows in our household, but I must say, the least problematic and by far the best hardware is Apple, and its OS seems to crash a whole lot less than Windows. Plus it seems to live on and on, even years and years later. We have had loads of hardware head off to that great windows graveyard and, touch wood, not a single Apple failure yet.

My Windows laptops have had to be replaced on average every 2-3 years, our Mac hardware is all going strong still - some of the legacy stuff G3 G4 etc still works seamlessly 10 years on.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess, plus budget and what programs you really have to have.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back