Road Bike (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Guys I've had and always will ride mountain bikes love the freedom it gives you. Over the last 6 months I have been thinking about a road bike. I went along to a Decathlon store and was very interested in there a Triban 5 good spec and was wondering if anyone out there could give advice on this bike or any other

Bill

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Good idea. I bought a Claude Butler in 1962, for £21.19s & 6d. Wish I had it now......

I would sell the damned thing for a lot more then I got for it off the scrapman in 1980.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I'm thinking about the Ridgeback Speed as a road bike and for taking on the bike rack.
I've still got a 60s Carlton Corsa but with only 5 speeds it's no good for my ageing legs and the drop bars aren't good for my back.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Bill,
The Btwin Triban 5 is a cracking bike for the money, several mates have them as training bikes and swear by them - quite robust. I have ridden them also and find they are a reasonably comfortable bike and quite relaxed (geometry).

The bike after all is a 'budget' bike with standard kit, however bang for your buck you would struggle to find a better spec'd bike from the big boys of bike manufacture for sure.

One of their 'weak points' is the tyres they come with (most manufacturers cut costs here), fit a set of Conti GP4000s or 4 season's and you'll not look back.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Bill,
The Btwin Triban 5 is a cracking bike for the money, several mates have them as training bikes and swear by them - quite robust. I have ridden them also and find they are a reasonably comfortable bike and quite relaxed (geometry).

The bike after all is a 'budget' bike with standard kit, however bang for your buck you would struggle to find a better spec'd bike from the big boys of bike manufacture for sure.

One of their 'weak points' is the tyres they come with (most manufacturers cut costs here), fit a set of Conti GP4000s or 4 season's and you'll not look back.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:
Thanks for that as I said this will be my first road bike and was very impressed with the build quality and spec for the price. The first thing I will change is the pedals then as you say the tyres, just phoned them up and ordered the Triban 5

Bill

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Have a look at the planetX website for excellent spec and good price

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Enigma titanium for me,built in England, great ride and will last for a lifetime!

I have had carbon - scratched in travel and a right off!!

Aluminium like for like a harsher ride.

Steel, I have a Roberts light touring/ audax bike, cycle toured all over Europe with it, comfortable but heavier for day rides

Titanium, more expensive than Aluminium and steel but not compared to some carbon bikes, but then the OH says it will be worth it as she will break my knees and bury me on it!

But in the end just get on any bike and go ride it!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Going way up the pay scale
I have an airborne zeppelin titanium full dura ace and ksyriums now about 8 yrs old but like new
Then my giant team once TCR carbon with campag record and shamals
They ride identical but the carbon is lighter faster and been to Majorca several times unscathed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back