soler panel's (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
OK now that the engine out the way how do you know if a soler panel is working or not
there is no fancy amps meters no lights it seems to be a bit of a bodge job who ever done this is a man after my own hart
all i know is it was on the van when i got it no instructions
so
1 can i put my meter on it to find out if it works
2 if it dose work do i nead any special boxes to hook it up to the battery
3 or is it best just to rip it out
4 it is abut 4ftx2ft

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
hi, bill put a meter set to volts, and connect black to neg and red to pos, you should get a reading, if so its working!, then buy a regulator 10 amps will do off ebay and connect that up as per the instructions and bob should be your uncle.
hope this helps, you might as well use it, theres probably about £80 to £100 worth in the panel.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Bill I am at the site not far from Askern For the weekend I can show you my set up and show you how to test yours if it helps. Jan is at work tomorrow so no problem popping over.

Balne Moor Rd, Goole

:thumb:

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Bill I am at the site not far from Askern For the weekend I can show you my set up and show you how to test yours if it helps. Jan is at work tomorrow so no problem popping over.

Balne Moor Rd, Goole

Steve
to steal a line from hagnap...........this is why I love FUN:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You can stick a meter on your leisure battery, off not on hook-up and the battery is 13V or more it's working.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
assuming the panel is connected to a controller but no leds lit then it appears not to be connected to the battery.
probably just a blown fuse between controller and battery.

find the inline fuse, somewhere in the wiring between battery and controller, and replace with a 20amp fuse.
putting a meter across the panel wires (before the controller) should show around 17v in good sunlight whether its connected or not.

connect between the controller and battery, if the battery and fuse are connected, should show around 13 to 14.7v.

i doubt the panel will be knackered, but the controller could be.

as said.....panel cost could be around £80 and by the dimensions it could be 80 or 100 watts.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
remember he solar panel is the last thing to connect and must be disconnected first before removing a battery or the controller will be knackered

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I don't think normal diagnostic procedures will help with Bill's solar installation.
The wiring was originally done by a nesting reed warbler. That panel is either connected to nothing or connected to everything!:Eeek:

Good luck with sorting it all out Bill!:thumb:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I don't think normal diagnostic procedures will help with Bill's solar installation.
The wiring was originally done by a nesting reed warbler. That panel is either connected to nothing or connected to everything!:Eeek:

Good luck with sorting it all out Bill!:thumb:
even fund the nesting reed warbler electrocuted nothing with the wire cuter could not fix that my meter and a snip snip snip could not fix but although it looks a mess it is not as bad as first taught thirst trip out from rebut and every thing working as should for now and battery relocated to locker in back

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

Balne Moor Rd, Goole

Steve
thanks steve just got your offer we are at MacDonalds goole at the moment how long you there for as a may pop over not had a internet connection for a few days been wild camping :thumb:
post code?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back