Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Can I run the above in gas heating mode only, whilst the water is drained from the system.

The instructions are not clear whether water tank needs to be filled or not.

Thanks in advance for help

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I have the 4E and assuming the 6E is the same - yes you can

Edit: Yes you can, the question is answered here:
Link Removed

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
wooooow i understood it can only be run on heating mode withoyt water in the combi on electric...:Eeek:

but i will read my handbook again...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Yes you can. As the heater works via a heat exchanger and not by the gas flame being directly applied to the water tank it can safely be run without water in it on any power source.

D.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes you can BUT there is one BIG advantage of having water in it when you are just using it for room heating on gas ... you get hot water too for 'nowt' as it were! :thumb: It is the way the unit is made that allows some of the heat to transfer to the water in the tank so nice hot water for washing up etc. ::bigsmile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hand book says Yep u can as Dave Newell says above. just make sure the controls are set to heating only, gas or electric.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
hand book says Yep u can as Dave Newell says above. just make sure the controls are set to heating only, gas or electric.

You can't have "heating only", the two modes of operation are referred to by Truma as "summer" and "winter". "Summer" is water heating only and "Winter" is water and room (space) heating. If you want room heating but have no water in the system then obviously you will only get room heating as there is no water to heat but it is not a selectable option.

D.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you are of course absolutely correct Dave. maybe i did not say it very well :Doh: i was just indicating to be sure the correct selection was made. as it does not state Summer and winter on the dials.

i assumed the the OP does not have a handbook therefore would not understand winter and summer settings.

but you are the expert not me.:thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Am I glad I found this, I had exactly the same question about my Combi 4E.
I have drained the water tank and am using the Truma heater to keep the van above 12 C between uses this winter. I thought about draining the boiler and still using it to heat the van but wasn't sure , even after reading the manual, if this was possible, and it seems it is, thanks.
But, with reference to Daves earlier reply, I can have hot water only in Summer mode and heating with or without hot water in Winter mode. I have the following option- Water ( Winter) 0 deg or 60 deg. I usually have it set to 0deg when I just want to heat the van while its on the drive.
Allan

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Am I glad I found this, I had exactly the same question about my Combi 4E.
I have drained the water tank and am using the Truma heater to keep the van above 12 C between uses this winter. I thought about draining the boiler and still using it to heat the van but wasn't sure , even after reading the manual, if this was possible, and it seems it is, thanks.
But, with reference to Daves earlier reply, I can have hot water only in Summer mode and heating with or without hot water in Winter mode. I have the following option- Water ( Winter) 0 deg or 60 deg. I usually have it set to 0deg when I just want to heat the van while its on the drive.
Allan

I think a number 4 digit has dropped off your control panel Allan, the 0 deg setting is actually 40 deg water. There is no physical way that a Truma combi can produce room heating without heating water if there is water in it. The way the machine works is that the gas flame heats a heat exchanger (or the electric elements do if that power source is selected) for room heating air from the room is drawn in and passed over this heat exchanger and then circulated out to the van room via the built in ducting. There is a small air gap between the heat exchanger and the surrounding water jacket, heat is radiated from the heat exchanger and absorbed by the water in the water jacket. Admittedly if the room interior is very cold then the air passing over the heat exchanger will absorb most of the heat initially meaning that water heating will be slow but as the room temperature rises so the recirculated air passing over the heat exchanger will be hotter and therefore not absorb as much of the heat. The result is that once the room temperature rises into double digits water heating will improve somewhat.

Hope this helps to clarify the operation for you all.

D.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thats pretty comprehensive Dave, thanks.
I have a choice of hot water temps in Summer mode, 40˚C and 60˚C.
In Winter mode I only have
Water >0˚C ( Heating without controlled water temperature , heating has priority)
Water 60˚C

I have the heating set at 14˚C and Water >0˚C for over a week and when I turn the water on it is cold. If I change it to Water 60˚C, it is warm after a few minutes and b****y hot after half an hour.

I guess with the temp set low it doesn't come on enough to warm the water up, although it was 6˚C last night so the heater must have been on for a while.

I understand what you say about the water being heated by the heat exchange, I'll raise the heating and see if that affects the water temperature

Allan

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is what our dial is like and what we can select.

Attachments

• truma dials - jpg.jpg
    truma dials - jpg.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 129

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I appear to be standing in the corrected corner! I can only assume that in the "heating only" position the air flow is increased thereby minimising the heat transfer to the water jacket.

D.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Dave is mostly correct (as is usually the case). In the 'winter' setting, if Heating with Hot Water - 60ºC is selected, the hab area is first heated to the set temperature, then the boiler switches to low output and heats the water to 60ºC. In the 'winter' setting of Heating without Hot Water, the hab area is heated and according to my instructions (admittedly for an older C6002) ....

"If the boiler is filled, the water will automatically be heated at the same time. The water temperature is then dependent on the heating output being given off and the duration of heating required to reach the desired room temperature."

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
That sounds about right, I was going to turn the heating up a little to see if it also warmed the water, but I have drained the freshwater tank :Doh:

We are going away next month, Ill try it then and see if the water heats up too with the water temp set as 0˚C.
Allan

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have exactly the same settings on my dial as Minx. I always understood that the second to bottom one was if I wanted to have heating but no hot water, but if I wanted both I had to choose the bottom one. I must admit I have only ever chosen the "both" option - if it is cold enough for the heating to be on I am not going to be washing in cold water.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have exactly the same settings on my dial as Minx. I always understood that the second to bottom one was if I wanted to have heating but no hot water, but if I wanted both I had to choose the bottom one. I must admit I have only ever chosen the "both" option - if it is cold enough for the heating to be on I am not going to be washing in cold water.

Why not try it just in heating mode and see if you have the same as we do! Our current Truma combi, and a Truma combi we had in a previous motorhome, heat the water up as a 'side-effect' of the heating only option being selected ... I'm not complaining though! :Smile: It is something that I missed when we had a Chausson Flash 04 as it had a diesel heater and a separate water boiler unit so not 'free' hot water! :Doh:

Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 650 MG
Exp
6 years
Thought my boiler was faulty until I read this thread! We were away this weekend and it was bitterly cold. Had the heating on all the time but unusually for us, the water heating was turned off on the control panel of our Truma 6E as we didn't need hot water immediately. When I ran the tap, I was surprised to find that we had warm water even though I hadn't turned on "Hot Water" on the control panel. Now I know why. I love this forum!! I was about to call my local engineer :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back