LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Don't forget to check inside for condensation regularly .... last time I put a cover on ours, checked it a week later and every surface, walls, cupboards etc was running with condensation.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we had a winter cover for a caravan a number of years ago " allegedly breathable" did not use it after one winter, it made the interior of the van "sweat" and moldy... :Eeek:

so as already mentioned, regular airing needed :thumb:

good idea to lift it off the tyres, i see u have concrete drive , i have to be careful on my drive the axle stands have tendency to sink into the tarmac, :Doh: so i have to a put board under whenever i use a jack or stand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
But why, is it drained down and stored for the winter or you just thought you would cover it.

Now you have me thinking :RollEyes:

Is it a good idea to cover a van

Or is it best left to breath

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I was always told NOT to cover a caravan or motorhome for the reasons given = Condensation..

And also not to leave wheels off the ground for any length of time ... better to just move them every now and again... (Not sure why the wheels off the ground foofar though) unless it put`s a strain on the suspension.. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
It's got a dehumidifier - that was a whole other thread

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Surely it's best to take it for a run every few weeks than to cover it up and 'store' it?

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
But why, is it drained down and stored for the winter or you just thought you would cover it.

Now you have me thinking :RollEyes:

Is it a good idea to cover a van

Or is it best left to breath
sadly can't use it for the foreseeable :Sad: but at least it's not glaring at us now

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Don't forget to check inside for condensation regularly .... last time I put a cover on ours, checked it a week later and every surface, walls, cupboards etc was running with condensation.

Thanks for the thought, but we have a dehumidifier running (solar panels, hopefully no running costs). It has been totally dry on the weekly checks.

No strain to the suspension as stands fitted under the frames, as suggested by the mechanics on the forum, but thanks for the warning I could have got it wrong. Wheels off ground to save Tyre distortion, better to move it and rotate the wheels but that isn't an option.

Mike

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Surely it's best to take it for a run every few weeks than to cover it up and 'store' it?
Aye, that's the best bet.

Covering up doesn't so much as keep water out. More it keeps water in.

And no real need to raise tyres off the ground.
99.99% of vehicles have tyres on the ground all year round, and never heard of tyres messing up.

Many bikers worry about tyres in winter, but mine is in a carpeted garage :Cool:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Thanks for the thought, but we have a dehumidifier running (solar panels, hopefully no running costs). It has been totally dry on the weekly checks.

No strain to the suspension as stands fitted under the frames, as suggested by the mechanics on the forum, but thanks for the warning I could have got it wrong.

Mike

How does the solar panel collect the light if it is under a cover ?
Or do you mean you have solar panels on your house as I am sure I can see your hook up lead attached ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
sadly can't use it for the foreseeable :Sad: but at least it's not glaring at us now

Oh that is so frustrating for you, hope its not to long before the wheels start turning.:Smile:

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Best solution is to keep using it through the Winter - have done this with caravans for past 21 years with no problems and fully expect to do the same with my new motorhome :Smile:

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
How does the solar panel collect the light if it is under a cover ?
Or do you mean you have solar panels on your house as I am sure I can see your hook up lead attached ?

32 panels on house

Best solution is to keep using it through the Winter

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back