Nov 5, 2013
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
Hi

Im new to this site, and to motorhomes in general, but looking to buy a used one with a garage capable of holding a motorbike.
My recent searches seem to show Rimor are one of the few that have garages dimensionally large enough to take a bike, found a fewe ng5's that seem to suit the bill,
Is anyone aware of what other munufacturers have similar designs?

Thanks in Advance

DC

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Most of it depends on how much you are willing to spend. On some chassis I have where I have seen a garage the payload would just about cover a lightweight push bike.

OP
OP
R

roadlesstravelled

Free Member
Nov 5, 2013
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
It seems to be a bit of a grey area, most spec sheets i have reviewed wont actually say what the max payload weight of garage is?

DC

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In general, if you are considering a bike bigger than about 250cc, I would suggest using any garage space for storage and put the bike on a trailer ...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am considering a van with garage to take a scooter...
Inital enquiries at the NEC show gave garage payloads of 150kg - 250kg (hymer) - 350kg (carthago)... Remember as well as your bike you will end up storing all your other gear in there so you need a good surplus...Surprising how it can all add up...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
To give you some idea, I have a garage on a 4.6 ton chassis. When I bought the van it had a ramp and well inside the garage to take a scooter. I had no inclination of using the garage to put a scooter in and only wanted it to store my other must have stuff in there. I tow a trailer with my other form of transport and use the garage for storage, as most others do. It saves cluttering the van up. The garage at this moment in time holds a 110ltr fuel tank, 2 reclining chairs, outside table, 3 way fridge freezer, over and hob, rear ladder extension, hookup cable, water hose, macerator pump and pipes, compressor, 2 bottle jacks and wheel brace, spare wheel, tool box and tools, wind generator, 2 small camping chairs, vegetable box, Kipor generator, various oils, petrol can, fishing tackle, plus other odds and sods. No room for motorbikes, thank God :RollEyes:

Attachments

• Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Roastmaster oven 002.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 75

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As others have said, the key issues apart from volume are: the effect on payload, rear axle loading and load-bearing ability of the rear chassis extensions that carry the garage.
A modestly loaded garage that sits a long way back from the rear axle, due to a large overhang, can exert as great a downforce on the rear axle as a fully-loaded garage on a motorhome with a shorter overhang. Generally, a rear wheel drive chassis (particularly with twin rear wheels) will have a greater rear axle limit than a front wheel drive chassis. The exception here is the twin rear axle layout (referred to by some as 'tag') - some of these have significant load-carrying capacity.
The handbook for my Hymer (2003 RWD 316 Sprinter chassis with single rear wheels) states that the maximum permissible load for the garage is 350 kg. Then it adds "Do not exceed the permissible rear axle load"! However, there would only be space for a scooter or small motorbike, not a big beast.
I think the only complete solution is to find a motorhome that might suit and ask the dealer if you can load it as if for use, together with the motorbike, then go to a weigh-bridge and check. This is probably a long-shot.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We carry a 650 Kawasaki Versys approx. 200 kgs in our garage plus all the other usual junk.
As others have said though you need to check the weight available on the back axle carefully, when we had RVs although 7500kgs they were always overloaded especially on the rear. Our current van is a 5000kgs gross tag axle with a very short overhang and even with the bike in still has masses of spare weight on the rear axles.
There are vans out there to do what you want but you really have to do your homework before buying.
Good luck :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
would be an interesting VOSA/police check and weigh if you overload the max permissable axle weight or tyre load. you would have to unload the motorhome on the spot to reduce weight and either ride the bike whilst somebody else drives the van onward or leave it at the weighbridge

do your homework and get it right before purchase and then doublecheck the weights on a public weighbridge before being stopped. the majority of people with motorhomes and big bikes tend to use trailers for these reasons

OP
OP
R

roadlesstravelled

Free Member
Nov 5, 2013
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newbie
Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback and responses.

My current bike is a K5 GSXR 1000 dry weight of 170kg.

Looking around various forums its a question that seems to come up a lot.
It strange to me that trying to find the max load of a garage should be so hard, if your a manufacturer of MH's you would know the chassis your building on, the weight of the cab and accessories your putting on it, and how much spare weight you have left to play with. if all that info was on the spec sheets it would make life so much easier. Even if they said max garage load not to exceed xxxxkg i could work out the rest.
For the record i am going to look at a Rimor Europo NG5, The current owner didnt know, but told me the previous owner to him used to carry 2 x mx bikes in it.

DC

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Personally I wouldn't put a bike that size in the back of a MH,the weight hanging over the back is one issue,so is getting it in and out through a fairly small gap.I found major problems getting a large bike in and out of trailer,hwich is the reason I went for the trailer I have now ,a ground loading "Van Vossen"

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I have a Rimor 2001 with garage, the total load weight of the garage is 180 kg at least that is the label stuck inside. Now even then, with all the other stuff you carry in a MH it may well mean you are over weight. You can just about - I think- get a custom made tow bar fitted within the weight limit and then place junk and motorbike in trailer.

Hope that helps.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback and responses.

My current bike is a K5 GSXR 1000 dry weight of 170kg.

Looking around various forums its a question that seems to come up a lot.
It strange to me that trying to find the max load of a garage should be so hard, if your a manufacturer of MH's you would know the chassis your building on, the weight of the cab and accessories your putting on it, and how much spare weight you have left to play with. if all that info was on the spec sheets it would make life so much easier. Even if they said max garage load not to exceed xxxxkg i could work out the rest.
For the record i am going to look at a Rimor Europo NG5, The current owner didnt know, but told me the previous owner to him used to carry 2 x mx bikes in it.

DC

Even if a manufacturer gave a maximum load weight for a garage it would still not cover anything else that you may put in the MH. That is why they give axle weights. How you load the axles is down to you. If they quoted max weights for a garage and you loaded it to the max and then put the rest of your stuff inside the MH towards the rear, you could still end up overloading an axle. Who would VOSA blame, do you think ? It would be you, the driver. The buck stops at the person behind the wheel.
It is up to the driver to determine how to load his/her vehicle legally and safely.
All of the information you mentioned is available from the manufacturers regarding spare (payload) capacity.

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I did hear that MHs with big garages are going to be re-classified as HGV licensed driver only. Has that gone by the wayside??

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Got legged up with this...

The generally accepted argument is one that agrees with the DVLA’s interpretation of the law, in that, if your motorhome is over 3.5 tonnes MAM but does not exceed 7.5 tonnes you will need to hold a driving licence that includes category C1 entitlement. If you passed your car test before the 1st jan 1997 you should already have C1 on your licence. If your licence does not include category C1 you may not drive a motorhome that exceeds 3.5 tons.

If your motorhome exceeds 7.5 tonnes you will need a Category C (HGV licence).

There is an argument that has been raging for many years if goes like this. Because a “Motohome” is not a “Heavy Goods Vehicle” then you do not need to have a Category C (HGV) licence. Hundreds of people admit to driving large American RV without having Class C entitlement. They argue their insurers know, and are quick to point out that no one has yet been prosecuted for driving a large motorhome even when they have been stopped for other offences.

The best advice I can give is you want to drive a vehicle over 7.5 tonnes then “take your test and get your entitlement” To have an insurance company refuse to pay because of this could be devastating, you might have to take them to court to prove that you do have the right to drive such a large motorhome and that could be difficult and costly. Also, it just makes sense. Going from a small car to a 10 ton motorhome with no training is plain silly.

Drivers who passed their test before 1January 1st 1997 and who want to who keep their category C1 entitlement when they renewing will need to have a medical.
If you are lucky enough to still be driving a motorhome aged 70 then it must be under 3500kg otherwise medicals will be required. Those over 70 or over that want to drive a large motorhome heavier than 3500kg but under 7501kg will need medical checkups every three years. This may well change so do keep an eye on the DVLA website.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back