Adding a new 12v socket (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I want to fit an additional 12v socket to power a TV. Is it safe to splice into the feed off another (nearby) 12v socket or should I run the cables back to the power supply unit which is more involved?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
You can splice it of the existing one.

The only problem you could have is if using both sockets at the same time with high draw appliances. As one is going to be a TV with shouldn't be a high draw you should be fine.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I added a 12v socket purely because of convenience, we didn't have one near the table. Happily for me a nearby socket used spade connectors so I used piggyback spade connectors to connect the new cables in.

The original socket is hardly ever used and certainly not at the same time as the new one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I went straight from a battery.
Not for any other reason than it was closer than an existing feed.
I use it to power the tv and satellite tuner with no problems, so you should be ok with either method.

Last edited:

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I went straight from a battery.
Not for any other reason than it was closer than an existing feed.
I use it to power the tv and satellite tuner with no problems, so you should be ok with either method.
Can't see a problem with that, inline fuse will see it safe enough.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I want to fit an additional 12v socket to power a TV. Is it safe to splice into the feed off another (nearby) 12v socket or should I run the cables back to the power supply unit which is more involved?

To be honest with you
Best plan is get an Auto electrician
As a little knowledge is dangerous
Seen a van go up in flames. Just be wrong wires
So unless your qualified. Keep your fingers off

We should have the same laws on motors as we do now on house mains electricity :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
If you add another socket to an existing circuit you might overload the circuit protection, but that's what it's for to protect the wiring. Your only problem would be fuses blowing from time to time, or not, if you are careful about what you plug in to both outlets, as said earlier.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ive noticed over the years that most converters use as thin a wire as they can get away with to save money. be sure if you do splice into an existing circuit that the wiring is capable of handling the load

you may remember initially to not use the other socket when the tv is on, but may possibly forget later

oh and a bit of advice, fit a switch to the circuit as some 12v capable tvs still draw a current when on standby. you would be draining the battery whilst not watching tv :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back