Help please. Ducato central glovebox broken (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I went to open the standard central govebox in my 2008 Ducato today and the handle sort of slipped sideways as I pulled it and a spring popped out. Now the handle is stuck and I can't open the box even though the handle is not locked. The handle just refuses to move at all.

Any suggestions as to how to sort it please? At the moment I can't even open it to see if I can take the whole door off for a better look. Is it easy to remove the handle and replace it once the door is open please?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you cant remove the door without getting inside. :Doh: i took mine off a few weeks ago to get access behind.

you may have to use " brute force and ignorance"! and prise down ( very carefully :shout: ) between the door and the dash at the lock....:Eeek:

sorry no help really

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just had a look at mine the catch is like a car door catch that when you shut it it hooks around the bar inside I would try and remove the hinge pins at the bottom and you may be able to move the glove box about to release the catch

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks. And I can be very good at the brute force and ignorance. I suspect I may end up doing that, but am in no huge rush, if somebody can come up with the right idea and help. Do I need to take it off to sort out the handle I wonder?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i will have a good look at mine tomorrow ( dash door that is ) and see if there is an easy way.

i seem to recal that the hinge part is a plastic peg either side that clips into a recess either side of the dash.

but will let u know:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the handle has slid to one side releasing the spring try pulling it back into place and at the same time release the catch. from memory you need the door open to remove it or the handle/latch

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
if the handle has slid to one side releasing the spring try pulling it back into place and at the same time release the catch. from memory you need the door open to remove it or the handle/latch
Tried that - it is now no longer on one side, but the problem is it just won't move at all now. Can't pull it up or push it down!

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I have the central glove boxed removed from my van at the moment as I'm adding a bit of wiring behind it.

If your still stuck tomorrow I'll have a look around it and see if I can see a way of releasing it.

I could post pictures of the unit out of the van from a few angles if you want?

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have the central glove boxed removed from my van at the moment as I'm adding a bit of wiring behind it.

If your still stuck tomorrow I'll have a look around it and see if I can see a way of releasing it.

I could post pictures of the unit out of the van from a few angles if you want?

Thanks. My first problem is that handle will no longer move to allow me to open the box. If you could check please to see if there is a way of opening it by getting at the bottom hinges I would be really grateful. Or maybe sliding something in at the top to release the catch? Was it easy to remove the lid once it was open? I aks because I will need to do that I suspect to get the handle off.

What worries me is that having looked I can only find the complete lid and handle assembly for sale. I am hoping I can just buy a new handle rather than the whole thing!

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Can you slide a flexible piece of plastic (old store / credit card) between door and frame to spring the catch ?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Here are a few close-up pics of the locking mechanism:

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

I can't see how prising the bottom hinge would help, the glove-box is screwed from the inside to the top and back of the dashboard.

This is how it locks.

Open:
Link Removed
Closed:
Link Removed
And closed from the side:
Link Removed

I can't see a way of sliding something in to open the lock.

Hope this helps,
David

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just back from our van ours is a 2012 but i think the 2008 fiat is the same. but the mechanism is different to that shown by wissel see below.

the catch mechanism on ours is at the sides a plastic lug ( finger pointing ) this clips into a side socket next picture and can be replaced if damaged on either side of the door.

brute force will only break these so i would avoid a possible earlier suggestion of mine.
no way will you get to the hinges with the door shut.

the lock mechanism is concealed inside the door on mine.

Attachments

• IMAG0567.jpg
    IMAG0567.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMAG0566.jpg
    IMAG0566.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0564.jpg
    IMAG0564.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 109
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Many many thanks for that. If I slid a thin screwdriver in at the top so that it hit the bit sticking out when locked (by your finger in the penultimate photo) would I be able to move it do you think??

I've just tried and it wouldn't more I'm afraid. With regard to the post above, mine is a 2010 Boxer but I did have a 2008 Ducato and I'm fairly sure it had the same lock as my current van.

Knowing how expensive replacement parts are for the X250 I think I would try taking it to a main dealer to see if they have a trick to open it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I've just tried and it wouldn't more I'm afraid. With regard to the post above, mine is a 2010 Boxer but I did have a 2008 Ducato and I'm fairly sure it had the same lock as my current van.

Kno[HI]wing how expensive replacement parts are for the X250 I think I would try taking it to a main dealer to see if they have a trick to open it.
[/HI]

good advice a phone call first may give you an idea if they can quickly resolve it. good luck:thumb:

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks again for the help. Given that the handle is not locked I may look at it later in the week to see if I can do it from the outside by pushing in something the handle is failing to push in. Unfortunately I have not been able to look at it today because SWMBO decreed that I should repair the shed roof rather than play with my toy. Some people have a strange sense of priorities. :winky:

I have just had a Google and on other van forums people are saying that the handle can be removed by using 4 screws from inside, which suggests mine looks like Wissel's. They are also saying that (as I feared) Fiat do not sell the handle separately and will only sell you a complete door.

I can't believe that I am the only person on this forum who had had this problem though. Or maybe I am that cack-handed (as SWMBO has always said).

camperkate

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Our 2012 sevel van has same glovebox as Phill but our door is hanging open and won't stay closed -the little lug that Phill points to in his picture seems to be stuck in and not popping out to catch at the side -any ideas anybody?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Our 2012 sevel van has same glovebox as Phill

I think he's solved it by now Camperkate, that post is over 2 years old.... Welcome to the Fun by the way..... Griff

I think your glove box problem could be solved more easily at the dealers.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi @camperkate and welcome;
i believe they are spring loaded and the only way you may be able to release them may be by removing the door with the screws at the bottom and hope you can find a way into the mechanism.

i would not attempt to spray WD40 in the mechanism as its mainly plastic and WD40 has an adverse effect on some plastics it makes them swell so could cause more of a problem.

good luck.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think he's solved it by now Camperkate, that post is over 2 years old.... Welcome to the Fun by the way..... Griff

I think your glove box problem could be solved more easily at the dealers.
I was the original poster. I sort of solved it by a bit of persuasion but something in the central handle finally broke, which left it half hanging off. Could still use it with care. Fiat do not just sell the handle and lock - you have to buy a whole new glovebox.

I finally solved it by P/Xing the van for my new one - and yes I did tell the dealer there was a problem with it before doing so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back