Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
Currently trying to source storage around M42J1. So far Gold sites appear to be full but we have found somewhere near Alvechurch that offers secure storage @£550pa. They are not registered as they don't feel the need!

I'm going to have a look later in the week. Should I try and stick with a registered site or go with instinct? There didn't appear to be much discount with insurance in using CoSSOA registered locations.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
I'd check with your insurance first - we've just moved to a non-registered site and it's cost us an extra £150 on our insurance. Plus all the hassle of changing companies, as Comfort would no longer insure us!

Mind you, the new site is every bit as secure, and half the price of the CASSOA one we left. So I guess it's swings and reoundabouts:thumb:

OP
OP
LickeyEndBlues

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
I'd check with your insurance first - we've just moved to a non-registered site and it's cost us an extra £150 on our insurance. Plus all the hassle of changing companies, as Comfort would no longer insure us!

Mind you, the new site is every bit as secure, and half the price of the CASSOA one we left. So I guess it's swings and reoundabouts:thumb:

That's what I thought in terms of discount loss against fees. If the site is "Fort Knox" safe and well used then it might not matter too much.

btw - it isn't so much the cost as the convenience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We moved from a Silver registered site to a non-registered site, and it made a small difference to the insurance, but the second site was more secure, and a lot closer to home so we made a big saving on diesel. I wouldn't get too hung up on registration details.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Cassoa Just outside Stratford on Avon £200 PA
can send details if it helps but probably 23 mins is too far.

Roger:Smile:

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My insurance company (Safeguard) would only insure me if my MoHo was at home or on a Gold site. When the price reached £924 per year I moved home, modified my drive just to keep it at home.

It's no longer under cover, but at least I see it everyday and keep it on EHU. plus no-one can see it from any road or property around me and I can leap in it any time I fancy.

Strangely enough we're leaping in it today just to go pick up several rolls of insulation which fit easily in the MoHo but less easily in the my car.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
A cassoa site would suggest that the site is safe and is well managed, and thus your vehicle is completely safe - and the reason for paying the premium.

Under the laws of bailment, if you look after someone elses property regardless if a fee is charged, they are responsible for keeping it safe and undamaged - regardless of what insurances are in place.

They tell their members that they are not responsible for any damage or theft. It is all done at the customers own risk, and under their own private insurance policies.

If this was the case, sites that do storage would not require site insurance to store vehicles - it would all be at the owners own risk/insurers risk, and there would be no need for site insurance to even think about storage of vans.

So what are you paying for?

A site where your vehicle will be safe and protected against theft or damage?

Or a site who has a body to protect them from being held accountable for any theft or damage?

Questionable! I would say pick a site, make sure your insurance is valid on that site and the site is safe. Look for sites that have working cameras, secure fencing/iunder-cover etc.

They are aropund; there is one nearby here that work out about £40 a month fenced, cameras and outside but that includes free insurance!

OP
OP
LickeyEndBlues

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
Well.....
we have secured a place at a storage facility nearby. It isn't on the CoSSOA register but has 2 sets of electric gates; cctv; secure fencing. There are around 60 other vehicles already there.

I spoke to our insurers (Comfort) and after completing a questionnaire they were happy. Interestingly the insurance would have been the same if the mh was outside the house. I asked about "Gold" sites and they said it was all down to the postcode!

slightly off topic but....
my son is in the RN and it is cheaper for him to insure via home rather than the very secure naval dockyard!

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
When we had a caravan we kept it at a Cassoa Gold site. Three sets of padlocked gates, barbed wire around top of perimeter fence and CCTV. No vehicles got stolen but it didn't stop the Itinerants from traveller site next door getting in and breaking into over 20 units, ripping doors off etc. No discount offered off insurance for being on a Gold site. The cheaper insurance companies don't offer discount the dearer ones seem to.

autosleepers

Free Member
Dec 3, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
RE Safeguard.

I am insured with Safeguard and may have to put my Motorhome into storage, did they say why they wouldn't offer cover on lower rated (Silver and Bronze) sites.

Thanks

My insurance company (Safeguard) would only insure me if my MoHo was at home or on a Gold site. When the price reached £924 per year I moved home, modified my drive just to keep it at home.

It's no longer under cover, but at least I see it everyday and keep it on EHU. plus no-one can see it from any road or property around me and I can leap in it any time I fancy.

Strangely enough we're leaping in it today just to go pick up several rolls of insulation which fit easily in the MoHo but less easily in the my car.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
We actually moved to Safeguard when Comfort refused to insure us on a non-Cassoa site. So it shouldn't be a problem for you - just check with Safeguard first.:thumb:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We keep our van on a CoSSOA site in Cannock, its very secure - Holds around 270 M/H an Caravans - has fencing all the way around and has a dug out trench beyond the fencing (bit like a moat) Electric Gates that can only be operated by the owners of the site (bit of a drawback) Cameras/security and the owners live on the site - we pay around £460.00 pa... we were thinking of moving it down the road to another place and saving around £120.00 pa but upon closer inspection the security was crap, basically it had a padlock on the gate - an thats it... no cameras...no security...and no fencing on the parameter - so basically anyone walking across the fields could access the site with ease - Its worth spending that little extra for piece of mind in my opinion !

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Well.....
we have secured a place at a storage facility nearby. It isn't on the CoSSOA register but has 2 sets of electric gates; cctv; secure fencing. There are around 60 other vehicles already there.

I spoke to our insurers (Comfort) and after completing a questionnaire they were happy. Interestingly the insurance would have been the same if the mh was outside the house. I asked about "Gold" sites and they said it was all down to the postcode!

slightly off topic but....
my son is in the RN and it is cheaper for him to insure via home rather than the very secure naval dockyard!

we store ours at a local CASSOA site which is on the other side of town in a fairly run down industrial area.
the insurance is a couple of hundred pounds cheaper than storing it on our drive in a nice, quiet estate.
Actually our drive isnt big enough really to store it which is why we use the CASSOA site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back