Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just about to buy a couple of tubes of Sikaflex, but it seems that there are two different grades, 22 something, and five something..........Is one better then the other, or dosent it really matter?? Going to use it to seal a new roof light in.
Ta.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I was searching for an answer to a similar question recently the most recommended over various forums was Sikaflex EBT. I bought some for £6 or so a tube from Screwfix.

It gave a very good result but takes a heck of a lot of squeezing on the mastic tube to get it out.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
there are different grades for different jobs.Let google be your friend::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Silkaflex 512 is more like an adhesive, peeps stick their solar panels on with it so shows the adhension it as, the 221 is better for joints it still adheres well but should you want to rake it out anytime it would be easier. Good luck with it.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Silkaflex 512 is more like an adhesive, peeps stick their solar panels on with it so shows the adhension it as, the 221 is better for joints it still adheres well but should you want to rake it out anytime it would be easier. Good luck with it.

WOW, I didnt know you could STICK a solar panel onto the roof. I was going to drill and tap mine, using Mini exhaust rubbers between the panel and the roof.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
WOW, I didnt know you could STICK a solar panel onto the roof. I was going to drill and tap mine, using Mini exhaust rubbers between the panel and the roof.

they stick just about everything these days.... screws means holes.... holes means potential water ingress...:cry:

i just marked the roof with a crayon ( kids stuff ) easy to clean off if you get it wrong and easy to see, where the fixings had to go and then stuck em down.. simples:thumb:

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
When I was searching for an answer to a similar question recently the most recommended over various forums was Sikaflex EBT. I bought some for £6 or so a tube from Screwfix.

It gave a very good result but [HI]takes a heck of a lot of squeezing on the mastic tube to get it out.[/HI]
[HI]
[/HI]

I just left the tube of sikaflex on the radiator to warm up and it came out very easy:roflmto:

Alan

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Sikaflex ebt from screwfix. Fitted a rear camera assembly to mine, sticks like the proverbial, with adhesive and sealant with elasticity, plus easy to get hold of in white and black

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sikaflex ebt from screwfix. Fitted a rear camera assembly to mine, sticks like the proverbial, with adhesive and sealant with elasticity, plus[HI] easy to get hold of in white and black[/HI]

And other colours. I bought grey, which was a nice match for the side skirts :thumb:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
An alternative is Stixall which is available from Toolstation.

I've used it for loads on my van build (it was recommended to me on a self-build forum by a lot of people) including fitting room lights and sticking down solar panels.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Send an email to technical@uk.sika.com tell them the materials you wish to bond and they will reply with the recommended product.

Gordon

This is the way to go :thumb:Sikaflex is well known for letting go of some plastics after about 3 to 4 yrs --also try calling Soudal :thumb: about half price of Sikaflex :winky:
I tend to use PU40 from toolstation for most jobs now just because it's easy to get :thumb:
terry

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I used 221 on my first mh as it was very hard to get out of the tube I put very hot water in a small bucket and stood the tube in it upright, flowed out very well kept putting it back in water until job finished. brilliant stuff, although can be messy.beware once it is stuck it is stuck, you do have about an hour to get it in the right place.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks everypeeps, just ordered the EBT from Fleabay. :thumb:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Silkaflex 512 is more like an adhesive, peeps stick their solar panels on with it so shows the adhension it has
Is this just the flexible panels, where the whole surface is stuck down, or will it also hold the rigid panels that are designed to sit on raised feet with an air gap between roof & panel (& where the surface area of the feet in contact with the roof is very small)?

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Is this just the flexible panels, where the whole surface is stuck down, or will it also hold the rigid panels that are designed to sit on raised feet with an air gap between roof & panel (& where the surface area of the feet in contact with the roof is very small)?

Wondering the same myself. Dont want my panel ending up as someone's new greenhouse panel next to the M6.........:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back