My 12v Motorhome PC Video (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I've been asked a few times about the 12v PC I built for my motorhome and I've finally gotten around to making a video on it for anyone that's interested:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcW7hZiVuBc"]12 volt PC for Motorhome with WiFi 3G and Gaming - YouTube[/ame]

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

The best post i have seen in years :Eeek:

But... yes, there always is a but. English is not my native language so can you please add the specifications and attributes in writing.

I want to be sure i am using the right components :Doh:

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Paul and Ineke

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Excellent video...

I really like your setup. Just a shame your requirements are a bit too low for me to do the same.

I am however interested if you have a link for the adjustable voltage regulator. That will be handy for a variety of uses in my van :thumb:

I am impressed with the low power usage. My big laptop which is based on a core duo uses anything up to 6amps when going full tilt so your system is more powerful and uses less power than my laptop. Which just goes to show an old laptop is not necessarily the best thing to use when on the road :Doh:

If your monitor is capable of 1080p any chance of a link to it please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Onderweg and thanks for your comments :Smile:
I'll list of all the components and links to them later today once I get a little spare time.

Hi Gromett and cheers :Smile:
The voltage booster/regulator I bought from Ebay here:
Link Removed
I was a little sceptical that it would do the job as it was only a few pounds but tested it thoroughly before installing and it's a great bit of kit. I've had it running off a flat battery (about 12v off the terminals) and with a CTEK charger on recon mode so the terminals are pushing out 14.5v and the voltage out of the regulator didn't fluctuate at all.

The monitor is a LG 24EN43VS, here is a link to it:
http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-24EN43VS
It is 1080p and has really good viewing angles compared to other TN panels I've had - comparable to the IPS panels I use on my main rig. It's also very thin and light. I think I paid about £110 for it.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hi Onderweg and thanks for your comments :Smile:
I'll list of all the components and links to them later today once I get a little spare time.

Hi Gromett and cheers :Smile:
The voltage booster/regulator I bought from Ebay here:
Link Removed
I was a little sceptical that it would do the job as it was only a few pounds but tested it thoroughly before installing and it's a great bit of kit. I've had it running off a flat battery (about 12v off the terminals) and with a CTEK charger on recon mode so the terminals are pushing out 14.5v and the voltage out of the regulator didn't fluctuate at all.

The monitor is a LG 24EN43VS, here is a link to it:
http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-24EN43VS
It is 1080p and has really good viewing angles compared to other TN panels I've had - comparable to the IPS panels I use on my main rig. It's also very thin and light. I think I paid about £110 for it.

Great thread.
Note to anyone buying a regulator. The output cannot be lower than the input voltage, so cannot be used to regulate voltage to 12v for TVs etc.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Great little box.

But why not a laptop ? So much easier to store away from prying eyes when you leave the MH and for travelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Great little box.

But why not a laptop ? So much easier to store away from prying eyes when you leave the MH and for travelling.

Hi Hilldweller,

I did initially think about using a laptop but in the end decided on a full PC for a few reasons, the main one being that I don't like working from a laptop :Smile:
I just can't get used to using a small screen and working so close to it, I prefer to sit back with a wireless keyboard.

The other reason was, as the PC is also the TV in my van, it's nicer to watch it up on the wall as is the norm.

Another pet hate of mine is wires. If I used a laptop I would have to trail the power wire across the van and maybe wires to connect to Wi-Fi (unless I used a wireless router). Wires are a little impractical for me as well with a dog that likes to ambush me at random times :Doh:

I did consider security. The PC will be locked away when I'm in the van (well vented space) and removed when I'm away from the van. It's smaller than a laptop so easy to remove. In fact as it's so small it can be put in my on-board safe if needed.

Thanks for your comments,

David

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for your comments,

David

Thanks for your reply, good to read your logic. In fact, on second thoughts, your PC is inherently safer than a laptop, it's not so saleable, they might not even guess what it is.

Anyone without your skills might consider one of this type with a 12V power supply as used for laptops.

AAMOI my hauphauge TV dongle was giving trouble and I took a punt at a £5 ebay one. Smaller than a USB memory stick. I works a treat though the software is only B league.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

The best post i have seen in years :Eeek:

But... yes, there always is a but. English is not my native language so can you please add the specifications and attributes in writing.

I want to be sure i am using the right components :Doh:

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Paul and Ineke

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you - just been busy :Smile:

Here is the complete spec:

Power Usage:

The entire system (including the monitor and all of the wireless devices) runs on about 40w per hour. If I’m watching TV and using the sound bar this can rise to around 50w per hour.
As far as how this impacts on the leisure batteries the system uses about 3.2a per hour, rising to around 4a with the TV and sound bar on. So if I say have the PC on for 8 hours then watch TV for a further 2 hours the system will draw around 34 amps per day.
This is less power than my laptop uses. It’s also much faster than my laptop and has a 24″ screen which is a bit of a luxury in a motorhome .
Full List of Components

Processor: Intel i3 2100T
Motherboard: Link Removed
Memory:Link Removed
Hard Drive: Link Removed
Case: M350
Processor Cooler: Link Removed
Front Fan: Link Removed
PSU: Pico M3-ATX and 4 Pin Extension
Operating System: Windows 7 Home 32
TV Stick: Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T Stick
Monitor: LG 24EN43VS
Monitor 12v-19v Converter: Link Removed
WiFi Directional Antenna: Link Removed
WiFi Hotspot USB Stick: SEE HERE
3G USB Stick: Broken Link Removed
3G External Antenna:Try Motorhome WiFi (Link on Right)
Sound Bar: No Longer for Sale – Try Ebay

I've cut and pasted the above from my blog so not sure if the links will work. If they don't the whole article is here:

Hope this helps,
David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back