Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Just got our log book back today it says the 'Revenue' weight of our MH is 3850 the label inside the the MH says 3500 so what is it? :Confused:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just got our log book back today it says the 'Revenue' weight of our MH is 3850 the label inside the the MH says 3500 so what is it? :Confused:

WHAT THE LOG BOOK /V5 SAYS 3850 they usually stick another plate nearby
terry

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
There are usually 2 pressed steel labels under the bonnet.

A: the original vehicle weight and

B: the upgraded weight.

These labels are usually rivetted next to each other.

If your vehicle has not been upgraded and the original label is the only label then take it up with DVLA.

Mind you if you are a revenue weight of 3850Kg you will pay a lower Car Tax BUT you should ensure you have either C1 on your driving licence or passed your test before 1st January 1997.

A lot to check out but you don't want to be in a situation where you have been upgraded and then cannot drive the vehicle because you haven't got the correct class.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Biged

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
There are usually 2 pressed steel labels under the bonnet.

A: the original vehicle weight and

B: the upgraded weight.

These labels are usually rivetted next to each other.

If your vehicle has not been upgraded and the original label is the only label then take it up with DVLA.

Mind you if you are a revenue weight of 3850Kg you will pay a lower Car Tax BUT you should ensure you have either C1 on your driving licence or passed your test before 1st January 1997.

A lot to check out but you don't want to be in a situation where you have been upgraded and then cannot drive the vehicle because you haven't got the correct class.

Thanks for that info. No problem with licence, i have everything on that, probably because i passed my test in the 60's:thumb:

The labels under the bonnet are as clear as mud :Sad:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Another point to remember is breakdown details as if you are over 3500 you are not covered with personal aa or RAC but they don't tell u until you need help then just dump u in side of road regards Garry flatpackchicken

OP
OP
Biged

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Another point to remember is breakdown details as if you are over 3500 you are not covered with personal aa or RAC but they don't tell u until you need help then just dump u in side of road regards Garry flatpackchicken

That was going to be my next question ' are there advatages or disadvantages between the various weights'

How will the AA or RAC man know? Maybe i just point to the 3500 label in the MH :Blush:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another problem is that if youre unlucky enough to be stopped by a VOSA/police checkpoint, then they will go by the plate on the vehicle. a bit overweight you get fined 350kg over the vehicle wont be allowed to carry on its journey till its unloaded by the excess. VOSA have started cracking down on motorhomes and hoseboxes as easy targets:thumb:

get it checked and sorted before its too late. the extra 350kg is a great bonus to keep and there are ways round the 3500kg limit of the aa standard cover. if included with insurance or via the clubs the limit is lifted

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
our swift 630l weight plate positioned at the bonnet catch states 3500kg.
but the new plate 3850kg is positioned on the passenger side door pillar. notified RAC about change of length and weight and they asked if i was a member of caravan club , i answered yes and they told me i was still covered on full recovery.
seems caravan club membership is the ticket to still have full recovery, but i have not had to use the recovery so cant say whether what they said, they will honour.

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Weight

Its simple to find out what tax do you pay £210 I think for 3500 £165 if your over 3.5t

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
but the new plate 3850kg is positioned on the passenger side door pillar. notified RAC about change of length and weight and they asked if i was a member of caravan club , i answered yes and they told me i was still covered on full recovery.
seems caravan club membership is the ticket to still have full recovery, but i have not had to use the recovery so cant say whether what they said, they will honour.

I had mine upgraded and the new plate is inside the passenger door pillar. All changes in weight have a new plate and all these plates, including original, need to be displayed. New plates are dated so you should be able to trace the latest revenue weight.
Allan

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
The plate could also be on the outside of the van - we have had 3 over 3.5t and they were - Hymer - plate was on outside near offside wheel arch, CI Carioca - under the bonnet (where I fitted it as we uprated it) and Laika - in the footwell.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Check that out , you have to be with Caravan and Camping Club and be a member of the RAC Arival's to be covered above 3.5 ton :winky:
the arivals scheme is actually cheaper than normal RAC personal cover
terry

OP
OP
Biged

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Got my insurance through Safeguard inc AA breakdown, surely they would know the vehicles details from the make, registration etc. and whether breakdown cover applies?

Been under the bonnet this morning (we are going for its first shakedown journey:thumb:)
There is only one riveted label and thats gobbledegook no weights on it at all, just codes.
It could be like the guy at the dealers said 'all twin rear wheel Transits are plated at 3850'

Its all a bit of a minefield this weight lark :Eeek:

The tax disk by the way is £165.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
That was going to be my next question ' are there advatages or disadvantages between the various weights'

How will the AA or RAC man know? Maybe i just point to the 3500 label in the MH :Blush:

The AA man or RAC man would not be even sent to your breakdown as when you first contact with control center would stop you straight away as they bring up your details with dvlc and this gives them all the info they need ie type of car colour and yes weight category so they see from this that you are over 3500 and then refuse you service on private membership but as said you can get AA cover for any weight but only through Safeguard ins as is already included with there Mh insurance but you can also get cover with the RAC through c&cc membership and this is called Arriva hope all is all clear now Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back