lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
well the rebuild stage has started and I have a heating question my bus came with a eberspacher 5kw derv heater and it works. the question is if I was to run the blow air piping under the bus then having it pop up thro the floor at the relevant points that i need will I suffer to much heat loss with the pipes been in the outside world, I know the proper way is inside the bus but am tryin to have a open plan and dont want to have big ole "skirting boards" to hide the pipe work inside the bus

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Inside or you are wasting time and money in my opinion.
The only way you could do it would be with loads of lagging, and even then I don't think it would be as efficient as inside.
Also, if it was outside it would be at risk from water, stones, salt etc. so if it was me I would go for inside.

Only my opinion and I am sure others will have different answers and solutions.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Inside or you are wasting time and money in my opinion.
The only way you could do it would be with loads of lagging, and even then I don't think it would be as efficient as inside.
Also, if it was outside it would be at risk from water, stones, salt etc. so if it was me I would go for inside.

Only my opinion and I am sure others will have different answers and solutions.
thats what i thought just hoping it would be doable I know the blow air piping is "Insulated" but doubt anywhere to the degree that I,ll need

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
A very good question.

The air is travelling at a fair old lick in the pipe so does not have that much time to cool.

So maybe less loss than you think.

mmm time for some testing i think. I have a load of pipe coming in the post its the proper truma insulated stuff if you know what i mean, think I,ll run the whole length outside and measure the input and output temps of the pipe and see what i get. if i can get away with it, it will make a much cleaner install

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Ours runs inside the van and has some useful advantages.
The runs do get hot as they don't have any substantial insulation but that can be a blessing because where they run will also get warm.
As ours pass under the lounge seat the cavity gets warm and as the water tank is under the seat it will never freeze.
The pipe also runs under the bathroom floor (there is a double floor to accommodate it) so this also makes sure the water pipes are frost free.
It then goes via the locker into the bedroom so even the locker gets a warm glow.
As you will see, if it can be done in a similar way, you can gain extra benefits from the warm pipes.
By running outside you will waste all that useful heat, maybe the following vehicle will benefit from your generosity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Ours runs inside the van and has some useful advantages.
The runs do get hot as they don't have any substantial insulation but that can be a blessing because where they run will also get warm.
As ours pass under the lounge seat the cavity gets warm and as the water tank is under the seat it will never freeze.
The pipe also runs under the bathroom floor (there is a double floor to accommodate it) so this also makes sure the water pipes are frost free.
It then goes via the locker into the bedroom so even the locker gets a warm glow.
As you will see, if it can be done in a similar way, you can gain extra benefits from the warm pipes.
By running outside you will waste all that useful heat, maybe the following vehicle will benefit from your generosity.
I like that lol

suppose it will help to keep all those hiden corners warm and dry. just with doing a full refurb i have a million different options lol I settled on a layout plan but now i have stripped it back to bare shell things change again lol

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Inside every time or you will need it boxing in and lagging stuffed in the box, you will be surprised how much colder the farest away outlet is compared to the nearest
Terry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry - I thought this was a Yosser thread.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.