Pet passport confusion (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Hoping someone will be able to clarify. Having had our 2 dogs immunised against rabies and purchased pet passports earlier this year, we took them to France for our 1st main holiday in the MH. I have been thinking about venturing further afield next summer and Germany is the number one choice......but..... an Internet search on taking the dogs to Germany has thrown a spanner in the works. Everything I have found seems to suggest dogs rabies immunisation has to be less than a year prior. The pet passport lasts for 3 years ( i.e. the length of time the rabies jab is valid for) and while I understand its purpose is to get my dogs back into the UK and Germany may have more stringent rules, it seems a bit odd that the Germans would insist on annual rabies vacs. Can anyone help because the DEFRA site quite naturally concentrates on the requirements to bring your dog back into UK ? :Eeek:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
the border is pretty open, so not sure if the germans would evn be aware you had the dogs with you

i appreciate i havnt actually helped

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My understanding is that the rabies jab is valid for the duration stated in passport. It could be that German vets recommend annual vaccinations.
I've never travelled further than France with the normals but crossed into Germany lots of times by car and never been stopped. And if you are coming back via a French port they are only interested in the jab date and the 24-120 hours worm treatment.

You could check with your vet, or maybe even call the German Embassy?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have taken our dog on his pet passport to Germany. no problem. the one year rule as i understand it is about dogs permenantly to be resident in Germany. the same rule applies in other countries but as i understand it its a bit like the registration on your motorhome it is governed by the issuing countries rules within the EU and accepted throughout.

i would not worry, we had no problems.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Taking Pets to Germany – www.bmelv.de - [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Germany requires all pets older than 3 months old to be vaccinated against rabies before importing to[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Germany. Each person may not import more than five pet animals and must not have the intention to[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]sell the animal.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]To ensure a problem-free entry, every pet from a non-EU country is required to have:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](1) a micro-chip identification system implanted[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](2) to carry an EU pet-import certificate issued by a licensed vet[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]For a sample of the EU pet-import certificate, please go to[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](3) be properly vaccinated against rabies (vaccinated by injection of an inactivated or dead[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]vaccine of at least one international antigen unit (WHO standard) bearing in mind that dates for[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]rabies booster injections vary with the vaccine used and therefore the vaccination certificates [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]should be presented for inspection.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A call to Defra would be a good idea just to clear up any lingering worries you may have – www.defra.gov.uk – 0870 241 1710[/FONT]

:france::france::france:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pretty much as Phill has said so don't worry about it, just make sure you plan to get the dog check etc done within the allotted timescale before returning to the UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Taking Pets to Germany – www.bmelv.de - [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Germany requires all pets older than 3 months old to be vaccinated against rabies before importing to[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Germany. Each person may not import more than five pet animals and must not have the intention to[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]sell the animal.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]To ensure a problem-free entry, every pet from a non-EU country is required to have:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](1) a micro-chip identification system implanted[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](2) to carry an EU pet-import certificate issued by a licensed vet[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]For a sample of the EU pet-import certificate, please go to[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](3) be properly vaccinated against rabies (vaccinated by injection of an inactivated or dead[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]vaccine of at least one international antigen unit (WHO standard) bearing in mind that dates for[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]rabies booster injections vary with the vaccine used and therefore the vaccination certificates [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]should be presented for inspection.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A call to Defra would be a good idea just to clear up any lingering worries you may have – www.defra.gov.uk – 0870 241 1710[/FONT]

:france::france::france:

I think you are getting confused! That is to do with PERMANENTLY importing into Germany, not going on holiday with them!!! :Doh:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We live in France, and our rabies jab is annually.....now our French Vet does not think the Uk injection of every 3 years is a good enough Protection !!!......but that is his opinion...the uk are happy with the 3 year cover and it is the Uk border patrol that seems the strictest out of all the European countries....and I don't recall many Rabies problems in England

Last edited:

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
WE live in France and my vet tells me UK rabies vaccinations are valid for 3 years but French ones for one year!

I think she is wrong and/or had a problem with telling me in English!

It is French residents (dogs) who have to have annual injections..... I guess the same applies to Germany:RollEyes:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Just carry on, Even a british dog agility team went to Germany in a bus and no border checks at all, its just coming back that you need to prepare for

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
All our european neighbours have a yearly rabies injection rule for animals that live or are going to live in their countries, these countries have a very real problem being joined to other countries and wild animals can carry rabies accross the whole landmass. France at present having had a rabies scare recently.
For Brits taking their animals on holiday our powers that be have agreed every 3 years as we are separated by the channel.
and lets face it you are not going to let your animal roam loose and out of your sight when in a strange country

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just to add to the above that it is now getting very difficult to get hold of the 3-year duration rabies booster, our vet can't get it now so we've just had to use a 2-year duration booster for Lily.

Also, we did enquire whether we should let the passport/vaccination date pass by and instead get her done a month before we are next due to go to mainland Europe, however our vet advised against this as we would then not only need the jab but a whole new passport etc so it would work out quite a lot more expensive! :Eeek:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
The only time we needed a pet passport across a range of countries this year was to return to the UK.
I think 2(out of many) sites wanted to see a record of up-to-date vaccinations. Neither was in Germany.

Bryn

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Strangely when coming back to UK by tunnel dog checked in France but our passports not asked for so no one knew which countries we had been to .If we had known this we could have saved 2 very expansive ferries to Italy from Greece and Italy to Croatia and gone a different way.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
They recently found a stray cat in Nottingham had rabies and it was thought she'd recently given birth .....

OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Thank you to everyone, this puts my mind at rest and I can continue planning for next year now. Neither of us speak German, so I really should do something about that. We think we'll have around 3 weeks in June/July. Now just got to decide where we go. I'm wondering whether we'll have time to visit the Moselle valley and then the Black Forest area, but as i know vitually nothing about germany i would welcome any suggestions or opinions. We don't want to be moving on every day, we like camping and walking the dogs as much as sight seeing. Don't really want to visit big cities as we'll have the dogs with us and don't like to leave them on their own too much.:Smile:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
For camping in the Black Forest take a look at this site. We stayed there this year and really liked it - very dog friendly, good walking area and very close to beautiful town centre. The people who run it are extremely friendly and welcoming.
Also, don't worry about your dogs in Germany - we have travelled back from Crete through Germany many times with our dogs and have never had a problem. No checks at any border apart from France -> UK.

Link Removed

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thank you to everyone, this puts my mind at rest and I can continue planning for next year now. Neither of us speak German, so I really should do something about that. We think we'll have around 3 weeks in June/July. Now just got to decide where we go. I'm wondering whether we'll have time to visit the Moselle valley and then the Black Forest area, but as i know vitually nothing about germany i would welcome any suggestions or opinions. We don't want to be moving on every day, we like camping and walking the dogs as much as sight seeing. Don't really want to visit big cities as we'll have the dogs with us and don't like to leave them on their own too much.:Smile:

Hello there, you Nor-folk (20 miles miles makes us Suf-folk) we love Germany though! You can go to both those areas of course but to make the most of it and to relax as well you will have to choose. :Doh:
The Moselle: The big river, brilliant virtually flat cycling opportunities, walking in the hills through the vines (should have missed the worst of the crop spraying), lots of old towns and a nice and cheap vet at Bernkastel. I concur that a UK passport showing a valid to UK standards rabies innoculation is fine.
The Black Forest: Get up in those hills (lots of little signposts pointing in all directions advising kms to the next POI) and it is very, very peaceful. Not as many towns but some lovely places to visit too. The building construction is so different to the Moselle (where there is lots of stone and pargetting) being timber, why use a piece of 4"x4" when you can use 8"x8" ! And shingles, so many small wooden slivers covering the walls. There are streams and rivers too just the more rambling and gushing type.
Whereveryou go, this time, you will enjoy it AND knowing that there is so much more of Germany to explore you will be back ::bigsmile: The cafe and kuchen are delicious :thumb: Jane :Smile:

OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Bobandjane we had a night in Southwold followed by a visit the next day to Snape Maltings a few weekends ago. Not far from us as we are between GY and Norwich. We were able to park in the Maltings car park at the back under some trees. When I asked what time we had to leave by, the attendants told us they didn't have gates so we could stay as long as we liked. We resisted the temptation to stay the night though! I did wonder whether doing the Moselle and the Black Forest would be too much in a 3week period, don't want to spoil our holiday by trying to travel too far. Both sound lovely, which do we choose, which do we choose........?:whatthe:

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
DEFRA website

I was informed recently that the DEFRA website is not totally reliable regarding Pet Passport regulations - strange really considering it is a Government site.

I needed to renew my rabies cover before leaving for Crete and understood from the site that it was necessary to wait 14 days between the update and leaving the country. The vet informed me that it is possible to leave directly following the inoculation and that no waiting period is required and that the site is incorrect.

You may also wish to consider canine leishmaniasis as this is becoming a serious problem not only prevalent in hot, Mediterranean countries. I have posted this elsewhere on this site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back