LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I really enjoyed pinkie's road trip to holland in search of her new van. To begin with I thought she was nuts! We were looking for a motorhome too, so I'd spent weeks on tinternet, forums, visited dealers, shows inc nec etc. In the mean time pinkie is on a train, dog and child in hand, and with an adventure under her belt safely home with her van. It was the complete opposite of my well researched approach. Oh how I long for her courage and 'get on with it' attitude. So in the spirt of pinkie I've hired a van for 4 days end of November, from Luton. Not quite as exciting as a ferry trip to holland but my adventurous side needs gentle coaxing!
My husband thinks we should just follow the open road, any road and truly enjoy the merits of a panel van conversion. Stopping for a pub lunch and a gentle country walk, (he is recovering from a broken leg) exploring a new county, any county and driving off into the sunset.
I worry we will end up parked in an aldi car park for the night, surrounded by people panic buying "award wining christmas puddings".
So I'm asking for help, where would you go, where would you stay for 3/4 nights last week of November, starting and ending in Luton?
Am I being a scary cat by thinking of West Sussex, Hampshire? Any sensible suggestions welcome....sorry I mean mad cap ideals al la pinkie!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I really enjoyed pinkie's road trip to holland in search of her new van. To begin with I thought she was nuts! We were looking for a motorhome too, so I'd spent weeks on tinternet, forums, visited dealers, shows inc nec etc. In the mean time pinkie is on a train, dog and child in hand, and with an adventure under her belt safely home with her van. It was the complete opposite of my well researched approach. Oh how I long for her courage and 'get on with it' attitude. So in the spirt of pinkie I've hired a van for 4 days end of November, from Luton. Not quite as exciting as a ferry trip to holland but my adventurous side needs gentle coaxing!
My husband thinks we should just follow the open road, any road and truly enjoy the merits of a panel van conversion. Stopping for a pub lunch and a gentle country walk, (he is recovering from a broken leg) exploring a new county, any county and driving off into the sunset.
I worry we will end up parked in an aldi car park for the night, surrounded by people panic buying "award wining christmas puddings".
So I'm asking for help, where would you go, where would you stay for 3/4 nights last week of November, starting and ending in Luton?
Am I being a scary cat by thinking of West Sussex, Hampshire? Any sensible suggestions welcome....sorry I mean mad cap ideals al la pinkie!

You could have Campari at Luton Airport:roflmto: Sorry I know that's not what your looking for but couldn't resist:winky:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Why not head straight up the M1 to the Peak District . Great countryside and campsites open. We have just had a couple of days there and it was great.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'm no Joan Collins, but how on earth did you know my husband is just like Leonard Rossiter? :ROFLMAO:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Maybe you should also say if you need EHU and other things or just parking overnight.
There are so many options out there it may getvyou a litle more help to suite your needs.

We have just spent a week in the UK. Had a great time but no EHU we dont need it.

Rye was a great place to start for us Riverside Hotel £5 per night.

There is so mutch out there.

Enjoy it

Mel

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
[HI]
[/HI]So I'm asking for help, where would you go, where would you stay for 3/4 nights last week of November, starting and ending in Luton?

No help, but a big thank you........That's really tickled me.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Maria

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Have a look under Kieths signature, lots of pub stop overs for the night if you don't want book up, you get your meal or drink and get a free stop over, take a water bottle to put in your bed, it is November and you do not want the cold putting you off.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Head west for the Cotswolds or beyond.

We stayed a couple of days at Moreton in Marsh CC site on the way down to Devon and Cornwall this time last year. Easy walk into the village for pubs and shops and not far from Bourton on the Water (dedicated motorhome parking in the town) and not much further to Broken Link Removedat Northleach.

Housed in a, well, a converted house I suppose, it's a museum/cum guided tour of all things antique, pianolas, barrel organs, polyphons, fascinationg place with interesting souvenirs to tempt you. Plenty of other Cotswold villages to explore and Stratford upon Avon all in the vicinity.
:thumb:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks so far, always glad of a giggle.

How do I know if we need EHU? It's a hired van, gas heat and cooking? Am I expecting too much to want to dry my hair in the morning? Was also thinking of using site showers, cos so far the only motorhome showers I've been in have prevented me washing the top half of my body, cos they were so small I couldn't raise my arms above my waist...and no I'm not that fat!:Doh:

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Thanks so far, always glad of a giggle.

How do I know if we need EHU? It's a hired van, gas heat and cooking? Am I expecting too much to want to dry my hair in the morning? Was also thinking of using site showers, cos so far the only motorhome showers I've been in have prevented me washing the top half of my body, cos they were so small I couldn't raise my arms above my waist...and no I'm not that fat!:Doh:

In a hired Van and you need to dry your hair then yeas EHU is required.

Chase Terrace C&CC club is not too fear and has good showers

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Time out in November

We are meeting some friends at the Moreton In The Marsh site during WC 18th November.

But depending how far you want to go, there is a lovely quirky site called Henry's down at Lizard Point and another open all year site a couple of hundred yards south of Carnyorth (and only a few minutes walk from the good local pub in Botallack). Can't recall the name of the site but we found it on the UK campsites website and there can't be many sites on that road. Happy camping:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Was going to suggest Henley, but it's shut.

Found this, never been but looks worth a phone call.....

Link Removed

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Do we need to join c cc friendly club?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Ot but please, where is pinkies trip...ie what section.....

Here you go Mary. It makes great reading. :thumb:

Mousy, try Cherry Hinton CC site in Cambridge. :thumb:
It's open to non members, and a short walk down Limekiln Rd takes you to the bus stop for the Nos 1 or 3 service into the city, which come along every few minutes. There is also The Robin Hood Inn, at the bus stop, which sells good ale and good food. ::bigsmile:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all the helpful advice so far. I'm liking the suggestion of heading north or east cos I'm a southern gal so that will be pastures new. That's also why Wiltshire, Somerset, Devon and Cornwall are out. Oh and wales!

Finding it harder than I thought to find small open sites, it's the wrong time of year, or they only want you for 2 nights minimum or even one where you send them a letter with a sae to book.

I'm beginning to realise that this motorhome lark is all about compromise, right van (compromise), wild camping so no hair dryer (massive compromise), now your talking public transport....Its been years since I've been sat next to the nutter on the bus. Although if I'm having to wear a bloody hat because of said hair, I will look just like the nutter on the bus! :winky:

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Oh mousy!!! Totally understand your sentiments, but I think you have to accept you are going to get a bit grungy at times on the road. As we had no hot water in our van after picking it up, we had 3 nights without showers, hair like burst couches, (pop a hat on and some red lipstick, lots of deodorant and Chanel no. 5!)

Job's a good 'un!

And when all else fails...........find the local bar and order a bottle of their best vino! :winky:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Pinkie you are right, I will hit the gin and start 'twerking' my unwashed arse at my husband, let's see how long he wants to drop 50k on a panel van then!!!

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Pinkie you are right, I will hit the gin and start 'twerking' my unwashed arse at my husband, let's see how long he wants to drop 50k on a panel van then!!!

I am liking your style Mousy!::bigsmile:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Having been brought up in Luton/Dunstable. My advice is to

GET IN AND GET OUT. ANYWHERE IS BETTER:Smile:

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp

Ha ha Mousy!!!

Not that mousy after all! I've missed the "twerking" nonsense but get the general idea............(don't watch tv much!) I don't think your husband or any other male would be put off to be honest.............it's like my labradoodle...........a hump is a hump!!!

xxx

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
In a hired Van and you need to dry your hair then yeas EHU is required.

Chase Terrace C&CC club is not too fear and has good showers

You have a damn great big hair-dryer under the bonnet, turn all heater vents your way.:thumb:
When we were looking to buy a MH there was 1 fixed rule, it MUST have a practical and separate shower. No sharing with toilet. Must be able to manoeuvre within.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back