Phone Advise (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi I use my sons old iPhone 3 it's on a 02 payg I only use it occasionally for calls only for data I use my iPad what annoys me is that if you don't top up each month 02 take from your credit £1.00 per day for data which I don't use what is the best provider out there I know I will need to get it unlocked any advise please

Bill

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I use Three Mobile.
My particular Tariff is £31-50 / month on contract for which I get Unlimited Internet / Data, 2000 Cross Network Minutes and Unlimited Texts.
There are cheaper tariffs available but that one suits my needs and they are more helpful than Vodafone with whom I also have a (soon to end) relationship.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Apparently Giff Gaff works on the O2 network so no need to get the phone unlocked, let's know how you get on because I'm inheriting a 4s phone on O2 at xmas:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
You shouldn't need to unlock a PAYG phone, especially an iPhone 3. Orange do free sims, just get one from their website and stick it in the phone to see what happens.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
You shouldn't need to unlock a PAYG phone, especially an iPhone 3. Orange do free sims, just get one from their website and stick it in the phone to see what happens.

Broken Link Removed
When I got the phone from my son it was just out of contract so I would guess it is still locked to 02

Bill

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
When I got the phone from my son it was just out of contract so I would guess it is still locked to 02

Bill
I had to have my Orange iPhone 3 unlocked to accept my Vodafone Sim.
Historically O2 have always made it difficult for their phones to be unlocked but that may have changed now.

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I had to have my Orange iPhone 3 unlocked to accept my Vodafone Sim.
Historically O2 have always made it difficult for their phones to be unlocked but that may have changed now.
I'm going down the road to get it unlocked I think il go vodaphone as the coverage is better in Scotland question do I have to go via 02 or go to a vodaphone shop

Bill

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I'm going down the road to get it unlocked I think il go vodaphone as the coverage is better in Scotland question do I have to go via 02 or go to a vodaphone shop

Bill

You can sort out the unlocking by using an independent phone shop - these are often small shops in town centres or markets. The main shops for the various service providers don't provide unlocking services for other networks old phones, so you will need to get it unlocked first, and then go off to the shop of your choice to look at their sim only plans, if you prefer to do that than do it online.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Firstly many service providers will unlock your phone on request. As long as it it past the twelve month mark a request via their customer service line will be all you need (some charge but most do not). It took a few days getting our Iphones unlocked as the service provider said that they had to go via Apple for permission!

Have you considered Ovivo?
http://ovivomobile.com/
You pay £15 for the SIM card and as long as you stay under a certain (reasonable) amount of usage it costs you nothing from then on. They use the Vodafone network. Even if you want a higher usage level then they are still competitive. And their customer service are helpful if needed. :thumb:

Wyn

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Firstly many service providers will unlock your phone on request. As long as it it past the twelve month mark a request via their customer service line will be all you need (some charge but most do not). It took a few days getting our Iphones unlocked as the service provider said that they had to go via Apple for permission!
Wyn

No need to SHOUT, Wyn, even if it's in colour AND emboldened! :Eeek::Eeek:

The main service provider phone shops down our way will not unlock phones or help you do that- they simply point you to a small independent shop or booth. There's no law preventing them unlocking phones that are not in contract to another provider, perhaps they just couldn't be bothered? Maybe it's different in your area.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
How out using Giffgaff? Runs on the O2 network so will just be a simple sim card exchange and off you go!

Packages are good too!

http://giffgaff.com/

I have found Orange or EE as they are now called, are having problems since taking on the 4G side. Networks go down for weeks, and sometimes sim cards are cut off for no reason and you can't get them reactivated because orange are not interested in the 3g network

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
No need to SHOUT, Wyn, even if it's in colour AND emboldened! :Eeek::Eeek:

The main service provider phone shops down our way will not unlock phones or help you do that- they simply point you to a small independent shop or booth. There's no law preventing them unlocking phones that are not in contract to another provider, perhaps they just couldn't be bothered? Maybe it's different in your area.

It's not the shops that do the unlocking. You call the provider's customer care line and request unlocking. They unlock it at their end.

I thought it was CAPITALS that were considered as shouting.

Wyn

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Buy unlock codes for less then a quid on ebay

giiff gaff or ovivio.......best value by a mile

good luck

Steve

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
It's not the shops that do the unlocking. You call the provider's customer care line and request unlocking. They unlock it at their end.

Wyn

You'r right Wyn, I didn't hear a thing. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A lot of rubbish is said about unlocking and it's not illegal even when on contract, see Martin Lewis's site for full details.

Mobile Unlocking

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
]It's not the shops that do the unlocking. You call the provider's customer care line and request unlocking. They unlock it at their end.

Not quite correct. I think you may be confusing unlocking the phone with unlocking the PUK code for the SIM card.

The unlocking has to be physically applied to the phone. The customer care dept (now that is an oxymoron!) give you the unlock code and instructions on how to use it. Or you can get an unlock code from many other sources for most phones - all you need is the make and model of phone and its IMEI number.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
QUOTE=bailey;867099]Hi I use my sons old iPhone 3 it's on a 02 payg I only use it occasionally for calls only for data I use my iPad what annoys me is that if you don't top up each month 02 take from your credit £1.00 per day for data which I don't use what is the best provider out there I know I will need to get it unlocked any advise please

Bill[/QUOTE]

Click on my link giffgaff in my signature they will send you a free sim

£ 5.00 for you and Me If you youse it if not bin it

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

To liven it will cost you a tenner though
You will get free calls and texts to other gg users

You can also transfer your no onto it with a PAC code

Or any other network if your currant provider agrees

They Unlocked it instructions on O2 website it's a hunt for it

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Not quite correct. I think you may be confusing unlocking the phone with unlocking the PUK code for the SIM card.

The unlocking has to be physically applied to the phone. The customer care dept (now that is an oxymoron!) give you the unlock code and instructions on how to use it. Or you can get an unlock code from many other sources for most phones - all you need is the make and model of phone and its IMEI number.

All I can say is each time we've done it our phones have been able to accept other providers' cards.
Wyn

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
QUOTE=bailey;867099]Hi I use my sons old iPhone 3 it's on a 02 payg I only use it occasionally for calls only for data I use my iPad what annoys me is that if you don't top up each month 02 take from your credit £1.00 per day for data which I don't use what is the best provider out there I know I will need to get it unlocked any advise please

Bill

Click on my link giffgaff in my signature they will send you a free sim

£ 5.00 for you and Me If you youse it if not bin it

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

To liven it will cost you a tenner though
You will get free calls and texts to other gg users

You can also transfer your no onto it with a PAC code

Or any other network if your currant provider agrees

They Unlocked it instructions on O2 website it's a hunt for it

:thumb::thumb::thumb:[/QUOTE]
I've already sent for the sim with me in a couple of days

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

Wyn

The independent shops DO unlock the phones, that's the way many of them earn a living. I have never had a service provider customer care department unlock a phone to all providers , though, obviously your experience is different.

Your font is very large and you are using bold and colour on top of that, which appears to me quite similar to shouting in capitals.

andynkim

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85
Exp
Since 2007
From the O2 web site

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI...ion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=17424

Pay Monthly customers

If you're a Pay Monthly customer, then you can unlock your iPhone* at anytime for free. This doesn’t affect your contract though – you’ll still need to see out the rest of it. This policy may vary according to the handset you have purchased.

To unlock your phone, just fill out this unlocking form and we’ll do the rest.

Please make sure you enter the mobile number that you purchased the phone with, as this will avoid any charges being incurred.

Once we’ve got your form, it’ll then take up to 72 hours for us to get it unlocked for you. Once it’s unlocked, we’ll text you to let you know. You can then put a non-O2 Sim into the iPhone and connect it to iTunes. iTunes will then tell you the phone is unlocked.

Pay & Go customers

Yes, you can unlock your iPhone or any other brand of phone locked to O2. It costs £15.00 and we’ll take this from your Pay & Go balance.

Once you have a balance of £15.00 or more on your phone, just fill out this unlocking form and we'll do the rest.

When we’ve received your form, we’ll send you your unlocking code and instructions what to do in 3 working days for an iPhone and 10 working days for any other phone.

Once you’ve unlocked your phone, we’ll text you to let you know. You can then put a non-O2 Sim into the iPhone and connect it to iTunes.

I have done this many times

Andy

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we were with gif gaf and had no problems what so ever there is no helplines everything is done online and questions are answered via forums

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry forgot we were talking about iphones, which are different. If they are on contract then they can only be unlocked by your provider. However if provided on PAYG I think it is different (but not sure) and they are unlocked using a code the same as other phones. Notice how O2's instructions are different for contract and PAYG customers - in the latter case they send you a code to unlock it. .

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Sorry forgot we were talking about iphones, which are different. If they are on contract then they can only be unlocked by your provider. However if provided on PAYG I think it is different (but not sure) and they are unlocked using a code the same as other phones. Notice how O2's instructions are different for contract and PAYG customers - in the latter case they send you a code to unlock it. .

I had my I phone 3GS unlocked purchased as Payg O2

To use on a rolling O2, 30 day rolling contract

When I applied they unlocked it :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back