Marrwyck

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
Exp
2 Years
Hi everyone.
As we are nearly ready for the off on our tour we were just wondering how you got on with mobile phones abroad.

We currently have o2 pay as you go.
We were going to buy an unlocked phone then when we get to Spain etc buy sim cards in that country which is the way I did it in the USA.
That way there should be no problems with topping up etc.

So any thoughts would be appreciated ::bigsmile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi everyone.
As we are nearly ready for the off on our tour we were just wondering how you got on with mobile phones abroad.

We currently have o2 pay as you go.
We were going to buy an unlocked phone then when we get to Spain etc buy sim cards in that country which is the way I did it in the USA.
That way there should be no problems with topping up etc.

So any thoughts would be appreciated ::bigsmile:

First check your O2 phone IS locked, mine wasn't locked when I got it, and I understand that O2 don't lock their phones now. :thumb:

The US is different as they have a different phone system, I have forgotten what theuy call it. :Doh:

Keith

H

hannah29

Deleted User
why not just get the phone unlocked in this country? that way you only have to buy a sim abroad....thats what we do and its cheaper than buying a phone too
hannah

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Couldn't be doing with the hassle so we bought a phone card...

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

I am on Vodaphone and o2 may be diferent but I top up by using my moby. Call the top up centre for free and they guide you through the steps. Iv'e done this in Spain.

Check out the o2 web site, you may be able to do this, it will save a lot of messing with new sim cards.

Jim

Bevis on wheels

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
near Sheffield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years but travelled for years
mobiles abroad

Have you got an old phone? We bought a sim card in Greece and put it in an old phone but only really to ring up Greek friends and camp sites, ferries etc. A good place to find out about cheap ways of using mobiles abroad is the website moneysavingexpert.com] - Martin Lewis from tv and radio money saving programmes. If you've never visited that site, do- I've saved loads of money on all sorts of things....and it comes in handy for the motorhome fuel! :Sad:

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Have you got an old phone? We bought a sim card in Greece and put it in an old phone but only really to ring up Greek friends and camp sites, ferries etc. A good place to find out about cheap ways of using mobiles abroad is the website moneysavingexpert.com] - Martin Lewis from tv and radio money saving programmes. If you've never visited that site, do- I've saved loads of money on all sorts of things....and it comes in handy for the motorhome fuel! :Sad:

Martin Lewis was talking about this very subject in GMTV this morning. So what he said will be on the GMTV web site.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
A good place to find out about cheap ways of using mobiles abroad is the website moneysavingexpert.com] - Martin Lewis from tv and radio money saving programmes. If you've never visited that site, do- I've saved loads of money on all sorts of things....and it comes in handy for the motorhome fuel! :Sad:
That website should be in everyones 'favourites'.:thumb:

Like yourself, it's saved me money and also made me money. Last year a Bank actually paid me £100....simply to open an account with them!

I pay £59 for Breakdown cover in UK and Europe....yet people still shell out silly money for the same thing!:Doh:

That said, as long as there are people around with more money than sense.....it helps fund my 'shopping' at the right price!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in the us we just bought two local network phones.

$30 each with $15 credit included so got the phone for around £8. just left it in the hotel room when we left.:thumb:

if you plan on 'doing' europe a lot just buy phones and leave 'em in the van for next time.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Be careful, because UK mobiles used abroad still have two charges, one for outgoing calls but also one for incoming calls. The idea of having a local SIM card is a good one, though if you are circulating among various countries in the EU you may well find it simpler to get a card that covers all - they are easy enough to find on the internet::bigsmile:.

We've used one - and been much better off as a result:winky:. Now we're settled in France we do not have the same problems but wherever you go enjoy yourselves, as there is much to see and enjoy. Take advice from those you meet, but try to avoid stopping overnight on free motorways!

Bob and Di

OP
OP
Marrwyck

Marrwyck

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
Exp
2 Years
Thxs for all your replies & info.

As well as using Skype were probably go for roaming sim card.

Martin Lewis' site vey useful.

:thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Its odd but we seem to get a better deal on PAYT phones than in many other countries abroad.

The French suppliers limit the amount of time credit is usable. So €5 last about 7 days, €10 about 14 etc. Also the number is no longer accessible 6 months after the credit has expired so you cannot keep the card for next year.

I bought a Sim4Travel SIM from Carphonewarehouse. here they are immediately available. Getting them on the web means a delay of a week or so before they arrive.

This card allows you to receive call abroad without charge and has a reasonable European charge rate. Its also easy to top up.

If you use the phone a lot a foreign SIM is probably better but for light users the Sim4Travel is probably better.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Be careful, because UK mobiles used abroad still have two charges, one for outgoing calls but also one for incoming calls.

Bob and Di

Though this is true for the major providers there are UK SIM cards which receive calls free when abroad. For example there is the SIM4Travel which can be bought at Carphonewharehouse or on the web.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back