Tec freetec on Ford Transit automatic (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Having sold my Autotrail I am in the progress of looking for a replacement.
I need an automatic and have found a Tec Freetec on a ford transit.
Has anyone any experience of this make?
Also any info on the Ford automatic would be appreciated it is a 2006 model.
I previously had the Renault automatic on my Autotrail.
The vehicle is 140 miles away so I want to make sure it is worth travelling to see it.
Any information will be gratefully received.

Anne

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a friend of mine has an automatic transit about 2005/6 it keeps going into the garage for repairs. his is a work van mind you so does more miles in a year than most motorhomes do over several.
if i was you i would do a google search for ford transit automatic problems. doesnt seem to be too reliable

good luck with your search:thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Having sold my Autotrail I am in the progress of looking for a replacement.
I need an automatic and have found a Tec Freetec on a ford transit.
Has anyone any experience of this make?
Also any info on the Ford automatic would be appreciated it is a 2006 model.
I previously had the Renault automatic on my Autotrail.
The vehicle is 140 miles away so I want to make sure it is worth travelling to see it.
Any information will be gratefully received.

Anne

We briefly had an Autosleeper Ravenna on a Ford Auto base which was lovely to drive, I did enjoy it. They were pretty rare in those days, but you see a lot more of them around now. It was a very straightforward vehicle and very pleasant to drive, just a pity the layout really didn't suit us. Now have an Adria with the Renault auto box which is a lot bigger but just as nice to drive :thumb:

PS never had any problems with reliability, but then you hear horror stories about all auto boxes to be honest - we have a few cars at home all with auto boxes, none of which has been a problem over many years. Maybe we have just been lucky.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Could this be from Camper NE in Birtley (never used them but they are the UK suppliers) ?

We have a TEC, but it's on the usual Ducato chassis, so I can't comment on the Transit bit.
The hab unit is great though, well made and seems to have all the bits we need.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We briefly had an Autosleeper Ravenna on a Ford Auto base which was lovely to drive, I did enjoy it. They were pretty rare in those days, but you see a lot more of them around now. It was a very straightforward vehicle and very pleasant to drive, just a pity the layout really didn't suit us. Now have an Adria with the Renault auto box which is a lot bigger but just as nice to drive :thumb:

PS never had any problems with reliability, but then you hear horror stories about all auto boxes to be honest - we have a few cars at home all with auto boxes, none of which has been a problem over many years. Maybe we have just been lucky.

Less problems with a automatic with torque converter than with a manual with a dual mass flywheel. BUsby Smile:

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Less problems with a automatic with torque converter than with a manual with a dual mass flywheel. BUsby Smile:

as long as you service the auto box (oil filter) it should last the life of the van?
the biggest killer is they dont get oil filter changes. but for mh an auto will be very nice drive end of the day your on holiday so why work changing gears lol

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The 2006 transit auto is actually an auto shifted manual gearbox commonly referred to as "Durashift". I've driven quite a few and they drive really well but they have a reputation for problems and tend too be expensive to fix, more than one long term owner (work vans) has had their van converted to conventional manual shift box.

D.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Don't touch the push button electronic transit auto box, allthough these may have been on the earlier model, a ford dealer said my mates was beyond repair 5k for a new one, he had only used it for dog shows and 100k on the clock, he scrapped it.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

Well I can only really speak as a self confessed "petrol head" and owner of numerous cars and motorhomes with auto transmissions, now and past .........maybe we have been lucky, and we only owned the Ravenna for about a year or so, so the Ford box had no issues in that time. As Dave says below, I believe it was the Durashift box.

You hear about catastrophic failure of auto boxes on the internet, but then no-one posts regularly about how well their auto box seems to be doing, people seem to post problems rather than positive stuff. We have a very ancient VW Caravelle with the auto box - this is a known "weak spot" in these seemingly live-forever vans, the first one lasted for 253 000 miles and we bought it after the previous owner had had a new unit main dealer fitted less than 20 000 miles previously. If it lasts 200 000 miles then it will outlast about 99% of most modern cars, so am happy with that! Its currently nearly on 300 000 miles.

As you say, the pricey DMF is another issue altogether and seems to catch a lot of people out with their fancy "efficient" diesel vehicles!

Auto boxes are always going to be a more expensive repair than a straightforward manual, but I do think if a little more care is given to their maintenance, they will give less problems in the long run.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The 2006 transit auto is actually an auto shifted manual gearbox commonly referred to as "Durashift". I've driven quite a few and they drive really well but they have a reputation for problems and tend too be expensive to fix, more than one long term owner (work vans) has had their van converted to conventional manual shift box.

D.

Only true automatic is with a torque converter. ASK THE YANKS. BUSBY:roflmto:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

If we assume the term "automatic" to refer to the system changing ratios as appropriate "automatically" instead of you having to do it manually then an "auto shifted manual" is just as much an "auto" as a traditional epicyclic box with torque converter but uses less fuel in the process.

D.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

I agree ask the Yanks:RollEyes:
And whilst your at it, ask them why my "Good for one million miles" Auto Gear Box self destructed at 28000 miles:Doh:
Good and bad in em all Im afraid:winky:

Last edited:

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Got our TEC freetec a fortnight ago tomorrow :thumb:

We looked everywhere for a MH that ticked all the boxes and our FreeTec 718TI does.
Still getting things sorted to how i want them, hopefully finished tomorrow, the weather does not help.

It's not auto but it is a 2.4 Transit base, twin rear wheels and rear wheel drive so good traction. We went 170 miles to look at ours and then the same again to pick it up, more than 700 in all.:Eeek:

One thing you may not know, Transit twin rear wheels are back to back and as such almost impossible to check the tyre pressure :Sad: I am in the process of fitting extension tubes and brackets to the valves (near side done today, rain stopped play, offside tomorrow) :thumb:

If you want any advice just PM me, the quality of the MH is superb, you will not be disapointed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back