Boxer 2.5D Non-Turbo (1 Viewer)

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what to expect from this motor in terms of power and general reliability please?
I don't expect it to be a whirlwind on wheels but is it going to be a real disappointment??

Thanks in advance,
Deuce

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if your after a plodder that wat it is it will not have a grate top seed slow on inclines
reliability fairly good apart from that just enjoy it :thumb:

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
if your after a plodder that wat it is it will not have a grate top seed slow on inclines
reliability fairly good apart from that just enjoy it :thumb:
Not really after a plodder Bill but I guess I'm going to have to be prepared to accept one.
I run a 3.0D X5 and a couple of bikes so I think I'm in for something of a culture shock eh?? :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not really after a plodder Bill but I guess I'm going to have to be prepared to accept one.
I run a 3.0D X5 and a couple of bikes so I think I'm in for something of a culture shock eh?? :Doh:

you sure are......:roflmto:

one things for sure....the gear lever will be nice and free

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
cut a hole in the floor Fred Flintstone style and it would go faster :ROFLMAO:

seriously though many of those old plodding vans are still trundling along. not fast but if youre into enjoying the scenery then the journey is part of the holiday. realistically I would expect 55/60 to be absolutely top speed. push it harder it becomes unreliable and burns loads more fuel and the noise is beyond a joke

having been there and done the whole non turbo small engine vans before, I much prefer the power of the 2.8 or 3.0 turbos. may cost more but if im going away on holiday, i want to get there and enjoy the destination. extra hours in the driving seat are lost hours that could be filled with fun.

not to mention going through LEZ areas:Eeek:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Ask yourself a question...do you want reliability, easy servicing and minimal costs or do you want an extra 5MPH uphill, or a second or two quicker to 60?

There is around a 10-20hp difference in power, noticable in a car - not that much in a motorhome. It will cruise at the same speed as a turbo, get used to it and you can overtake a turbo on a hill with good timing

They are a much stronger engine as they are not under any strain. They don't blow head gaskets like turbo models do, they don't have a turbo to blow either - that will save up to a grand replacing a turbo for one. MPG is marginally better around 23 for a turbo, 28 for a non turbo (average)

Up to you!

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Ask yourself a question...do you want reliability, easy servicing and minimal costs or do you want an extra 5MPH uphill, or a second or two quicker to 60?

There is around a 10-20hp difference in power, noticable in a car - not that much in a motorhome. It will cruise at the same speed as a turbo, get used to it and you can overtake a turbo on a hill with good timing

They are a much stronger engine as they are not under any strain. They don't blow head gaskets like turbo models do, they don't have a turbo to blow either - that will save up to a grand replacing a turbo for one. MPG is marginally better around 23 for a turbo, 28 for a non turbo (average)

Up to you!
Reliability is obviously of paramount importance but the ability to cruise at 70mph on the MWay and get past HGVs with relative ease is also desirable.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Technically - you are not allowed to do 70, due to vehicle weight!

Practically - a Non turbo will do that fine.

Never had an issue with overtaking lorries and keeping at 70. The main difference is that it will take a few seconds longer than a turbo to get to 70 - but once you are there on a motorway or Dual, their is not noticable difference! If you want a few more horses, you can de-cat a non turbo as they don't need one - though some are fitted with them.

When approaching hills, you use the engines compression as opposed to relying on a turbo. The non turbo is a higher compression that the turbo (obviously) and you play with that power and utilise it. You may be up and down the gears to begin with - but once you get used to it, you will be feathering the throttle, timing you runs ups on steep hills and flying past the turbos!:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
70mph on a Motorway is the legal limit according to this:

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

You are right; however most motorhomes are over 3.05t - (average small c-class 3.2-3.4t) so do check you weights!

In all honesty, i should imagine many van conversions are over or very near that, so do check. With these armco barrier mounted speed cameras appearing in the UK now, you need to be aware.

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
You are right; however most motorhomes are over 3.05t - (average small c-class 3.2-3.4t) so do check you weights!

In all honesty, i should imagine many van conversions are over or very near that, so do check. With these armco barrier mounted speed cameras appearing in the UK now, you need to be aware.

It's the same for those above 3.05t as for those below 3.05t but you're quite right, you can't be too careful. :thumb:

Motor homes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) 30 (48) 60 (96) 70 (112) 70 (112) Motor homes or motor caravans (more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) 30 (48) 50 (80) 60 (96) 70 (112)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Remember the 3.05t is unladen weight not maximum weight when loaded, although the wording is not exactly clear (why say "not more than" and "maximum).

Most motorhomes have a maximum laden weight of 3.5, and unladen they are considerably lighter, or they would have little payload.

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Remember the 3.05t is unladen weight not maximum weight when loaded, although the wording is not exactly clear (why say "not more than" and "maximum).

Most motorhomes have a maximum laden weight of 3.5, and unladen they are considerably lighter, or they would have little payload.
Frankly I'll just be happy if it will cruise at or around 70mph without issue.
I probably won't spend that much time at that speed but it's always nice to know it's there if a little extra is needed at some point.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what to expect from this motor in terms of power and general reliability please?
I don't expect it to be a whirlwind on wheels but is it going to be a real disappointment??

Thanks in advance,
Deuce

Well, just arrived back from a round trip to Dorset, with a non-turbo 2.5 Fiat pulling a 3.2K kg max weight Hymer, (complete with Luton). very surprised and pleased with the performance.
On the motorway, sat steady at 63/5 MPH Overtaking on the flat, 70+. Steep hills, dropped down to 50+.
'A' roads a different story. Long slog climbs down to 3rd gear, but hey, once on the flat.......Engine noise a problem, must research that.
Overall MPG for the trip 27 MPG. Hope that helps. :Smile:

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Well, just arrived back from a round trip to Dorset, with a non-turbo 2.5 Fiat pulling a 3.2K kg max weight Hymer, (complete with Luton). very surprised and pleased with the performance.
On the motorway, sat steady at 63/5 MPH Overtaking on the flat, 70+. Steep hills, dropped down to 50+.
'A' roads a different story. Long slog climbs down to 3rd gear, but hey, once on the flat.......Engine noise a problem, must research that.
Overall MPG for the trip 27 MPG. Hope that helps. :Smile:
Thanks for the feedback Tootles.
I had heard that noise would be a limiting factor.
What kind of noise is it exactly?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thanks for the feedback Tootles.
I had heard that noise would be a limiting factor.
What kind of noise is it exactly?

Its like having the engine sat on your lap! Forget the radio, unless you can have earphones! On the motorway, cruising, it's not too bad, however, that changes when your pulling hard. It's not the exhaust, just the bl**dy motor!
The problem is that your about two feet away from a transverse diesel. The answer may lie in a soundproofing kit. Anything would do, just to take the 'edge' away. :cry:

But apart from that, the Fiat 2.5 is very responsive, and I like the way it answers to the throttle, couldn't call it sluggish for what it's being asked to pull.

OP
OP
DeuceBG
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Its like having the engine sat on your lap! Forget the radio, unless you can have earphones! On the motorway, cruising, it's not too bad, however, that changes when your pulling hard. It's not the exhaust, just the bl**dy motor!
The problem is that your about two feet away from a transverse diesel. The answer may lie in a soundproofing kit. Anything would do, just to take the 'edge' away. :cry:

But apart from that, the Fiat 2.5 is very responsive, and I like the way it answers to the throttle, couldn't call it sluggish for what it's being asked to pull.
Is yours the Fiat engine then?
I believe they fitted their own lumps at that time but I may be wrong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back