Tow bar or bike rack? (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I know it's four months before we get the new toy but now is the time to think about accessories.

We usually try to take a couple of bikes with us so we've asked for a quote for the supply and fitting of a wind-up bike rack but I was thinking .... Bike racks require the drilling of holes and so introduce potential water ingress points. So ..

What about a tow bar - do they create similar problems? We could get a tow bar mounted bike rack or even a trailer with bike bars. Does anybody know or the prices compare?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You would need to get a price for a tow bar for your van before you can compare and also how much of your payload it will take up. The Thule towball ones look pretty good but decent ones are around £150. I have the cheaper Xpress one in my garage doing nothing but they are only £50 to buy.

Mike

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I was looking at one of these:

eBay item number:

Anyone had any experience of them??

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
towbars are fitted to the chassis not the bodywork so no water ingress worries. if your van is a new one, it will need to have a dedicated type approved bar unlike pre 2012 as they could have a towbar made up to fit

from experience a wall mounted bike rack can introduce damp because of the holes and vibration. they also tend to be mounted higher up so further to lift the bikes. towbar mounted racks can be removed when not in use and the towbar opens up loads of other possibilities

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jools66

Free Member
Jul 5, 2011
Fulltime Devon/Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
FT since 04/12
I was looking at one of these:

eBay item number:

Anyone had any experience of them??
Yes we bought this model from that place for this years winter trip, so far very pleased, went together no problems and is sat on our tow bar as we speak half way down France heading to Portugal via Spain :thumb:

steelysteph

I would go for the tow bar it gives many more options in the long run :Smile:

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
just sold one of those bike racks, bought it because its nice and low, the bikes don't need lifting too high, good rack

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Bike rack

We have a nice towbar bike rack, aldi were selling a plastic garden tool box. About 5ft x 3 x 3 ft we made a bracket and it fits very nice, great for so much if not taking bikes, we were very naughty and laid bikes on top on one short 100 mile trip. No probs, not sure what weight was. Ooooooooops:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
towbars are fitted to the chassis not the bodywork so no water ingress worries. if your van is a new one, it will need to have a dedicated type approved bar unlike pre 2012 as they could have a towbar made up to fit

from experience a wall mounted bike rack can introduce damp because of the holes and vibration. they also tend to be mounted higher up so further to lift the bikes. towbar mounted racks can be removed when not in use and the towbar opens up loads of other possibilities

Problem is a tow bar will set you back £500 plus. Bike rack been on my van 17 years, no sign of water ingress yet. BUSBY::bigsmile:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Expensive way to fit a bike rack unless you intend to tow something as well. I have a toad with fitted A frame hence the tow bar. We don't always take the toad and I have a ball fitting rack referred to. Good rack, solid design and the security gate that drops over the ball can be fitted with a hefty padlock to improve security. Used several times and can recommend.

Better option is to have a bike rack fitted unless you have an autotrail that is :(

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back