Running scared......... (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Having recently bought our first MH we're looking forward to being able to use it when circumstances permit. In the meantime we've been seeing places on the TV we'd like to visit. BUT HELL THE ROADS ARE NARROW!
AAARRRRHHHHH

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Get yourselves a 'truckers' GPS. We've just bought a Becker having had some very dodgy directions from our previous GPS despite programming in our length/width etc. So far so good with the Becker.

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Get yourselves a 'truckers' GPS. We've just bought a Becker having had some very dodgy directions from our previous GPS despite programming in our length/width etc. So far so good with the Becker.

We have got one, but it neglects to tell you when the branches are going jump out at you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Having recently bought our first MH we're looking forward to being able to use it when circumstances permit. In the meantime[HI][HI] we've been seeing places on the TV we'd like to visit. [/HI][/HI]BUT HELL THE ROADS ARE NARROW!
AAARRRRHHHHH

Doing that right now after watching Hamish Macbeth on this morning !! :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
First trip out in our van to spend the weekend away and we drove down a lane so narrow, the wheels in both sides were up on the sloping earth.
Makes for an interesting journey if nothing else.
Allan

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We have got one, but it neglects to tell you when the branches are going jump out at you

And bloody worse it's going to get too - now the councils are revising their budgets and one of the first things to go will be the road 'trimming' of trees and hedgerows. If I get so much as a scratch from an unmaintained hedge or tree on a council run road I will be hitting them with one hell of a bill - if we all do this then they may think again - phew, rant over......:roflmto:

I went to some real narrow and bendy 'roads' in and around Cornwall this year and as long as you take your time, constantly reviewing your position with the mirrors, there's not much a motorhome can't navigate (maybe not the mahoosive ones granted) and gets 'hairy' if a combine harvester comes from the opposite direction.:Eeek:

These big branches, especially in the wind, can cause some damage I agree.

Trikeman.:winky:

dj motormouth

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV A Class
Exp
since 2011
A very good tool is Google Maps. Switch it to satellite view gives a good idea, and then for a real view go to street view. Is an excellent way of checking entrances as some are better to enter from one particular direction. The other thing is to check the sites on website instructions as they are normally the best way.

Michael

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Know what you mean, Dawn. I get so angry when I hear that awful scratching sound when I drive down some of the narrow roads..... You do get used to it, but the anger I feel is soooooo real ... my mh is my baby...:winky:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to fun

Glad you are enjoying motorhoming.

why not come and meet some of us in a few weeks at the mersea island meet 22-24 november. its not too far for you xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

the more you use it the more your confidence will grow xxxxxxxxxx

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Hi and welcome to fun

Glad you are enjoying motorhoming.

why not come and meet some of us in a few weeks at the mersea island meet 22-24 november. its not too far for you xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

the more you use it the more your confidence will grow xxxxxxxxxx
Would love to get out and about but looking after my 90 yr old mother prevents us from even going 10 miles down the road to tesco

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Having recently bought our first MH we're looking forward to being able to use it when circumstances permit. In the meantime we've been seeing places on the TV we'd like to visit. BUT HELL THE ROADS ARE NARROW!
AAARRRRHHHHH

You wanna try Italy! That's narrow!:Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't worry, it feels really big at the moment but it will appear to shrink around you the more miles you do. In a short time you'll be throwing it around on country lanes where right now all you want to do is breathe in. You'll be OK, just keep going out in her:thumb:

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
We've only been out twice, and by the time we go again we'll have forgotten everything we learnt.

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
Just look carefully (outside as well as the sat nav).
Most roads have had bin lorries down them, so your little motorhome can go as well.
If you dont like it, dont go, you will upset your satnav but it will recalculate.
Have your height and width on a card in view of the driver.
Look out of the window (a theme is developing...).
Go steadily and enjoy it.
Take a proper paper map as well, michelin are excellent for France these have heights of many obstructions.
Good luck

jon

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If there is a pub or bar at the end of the lane they would have had the booze delivered in a vehicle probably bigger than your van. Just take your time Good luck. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back