size of forward facing travel seats (1 Viewer)

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Does anyone know the minimum width required for forward facing passenger travel seats? Planning a new conversion and this time want to include passenger seats for the grandbabies. At the moment we only ever travel with the three year old and we have a double passenger seat in the front - so don't need travel seats in the back. Would prefer to have 2 travel seats in the habitation area so that we can have swivel front seats. However, because of the restrictive width in a panel van, would want the narrowest possible. They would, of course, need to take the children's car seats - or at least one of them would - the other could travel in the front passenger seat (as long as we don't find the van we get has a passenger airbag).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you do know there are legal age and height requirements for front seat passengers....and i dont think a 3 year old qualifies...even in a clild seat.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
apologies...i am wrong except under 3 cant be in a rear facing child seat in the front if an active airbag is fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When I did my conversion the van came with the front double passenger seat which I replaced with a single. At the same time as I bought the new single I bought a new Ford Transit double seat which came with integral seat belts which were attached to the seat base which is steel. Although I bolted the framework to the van floor I have not declared them as travel seats as we don't need them.
Not sure how you can get them classed as belted seats but somebody will.

Mike

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Good advice by Mikeco and prob best solution using a double seat with integral 3 point belt.Any additional seats that you add with lap belts won't be legal !
It's all to do with anchor points,loadings etc.
When it comes to kids safety you've got to play it by the book,if not and anything went wrong could you forgive yourself ?

Vlad

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
When I was looking into this some time ago I came to the conclusion that the safest way forward would be to get the seat fitted by a professional minibus converter.But then ended up buying a mother home with seats fitted.
:thumb:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
This is just the planning stage. We will be getting a professional bespoke conversion done, so fixings, legalities etc. will be up to the converter. Not yet sure who is doing it or even what van we will be getting - it depends on how much space a double travel seat in the back will take. I just wanted to know if there is a legal minimum size so that I can work with it, in my plans.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Why won't it let me write moterhome :thumb:that's better.
Try Motorhome . It's probably spell checker changing your words for you. My ipad comes up with some real gems:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back