Dehumidifier (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Just been inside poor covered-up abandoned MH - not looked inside for a fortnight or so - dehumidifier is keeping everything nice and dry. It's on a timer, comes on for one day a week and is doing a very good job.
Next job, jack the wheels up and spin them round 90 degrees.

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Just been inside poor covered-up abandoned MH - not looked inside for a fortnight or so - dehumidifier is keeping everything nice and dry. It's on a timer, comes on for one day a week and is doing a very good job.

Sounds a good idea. I put a screwfix 80watt tubular heater in ours on a timer every night. So far so good!:thumb:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

same here due to wife health issues deciding to winterise van de-humidifier set ,wheels marked with chalk o so when i jack up to rotate i know where to re-position
just purchased fenwicks winterising rinse,already use cleaner & bobby dazler,before being used to tour wheels will be rotated,whilst off brakes checked pistons pushed back ,suspension damper etc visull check,, drop water cover pump taps with bubble wrap,all blinds closed including front,van sits on milenco caravan lifts,my view is look after your van and [hopefully ] it will serve you well:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 20130604_151623.jpg
    20130604_151623.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 46

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Interesting :Smile: Do you have Humidity readings ? ie. what is it outside and what is it inside ?
My feeling is that as a M'Home has ventilation vents,as fast as you dehumidify the air in the van,humid air will enter through vents.
With regard to jacking up and rotating wheels 90 deg-seems a lot of hassle,I run engine and move van a few feet fwds and then next time move it a few ft back.
I know that ideally I should take it out for run,but I'm lazy,so don't do that.
On nights when temp is likely to drop below about 5 deg I do switch on a 650W oil fired heater just to,keep van above freezing point.

Mike.

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Not possible to move MH as it would block access for our car - bought a bigger MH than originally intended

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
If you're going to introduce some heat you need somewhere, preferably outside your van, for the resulting airborne moisture to condense. I leave the shower door open and also its roof vent.

I've never been sure of the reason for rotating tyres during a layup. Rubber is thermosetting and, therefore, cannot be reshaped. Perhaps it's deformation of the wall structure, which would lead you to think there is a reason for 'camper tyres'.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Gosh! You make me feel so guilty. My poor MH has just been sat there feeling all lonely and unused.

I'm away in Spain at the moment (alas not in the MH), but when I get back I'm going to get going on all the winter hibernation stuff.

I bust the shower fitting last year due to not draining the water properly last year. Cost me £165 to get it fixed so I should have learned my lesson.

What is the best way to drain the whole of the water system?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am deffo in the no humidifier camp -all you are doing is pulling in more fresh moisture into the van unless you can make it air tight it will always pull moisture in so will need running and emptying all the time ::bigsmile: A small heater (Volusia ) could be benifical or even a light bulb left on would probably surfice.
I tried a 800w oil jobby a few yrs ago but it cost a bomb to run even though it was on frost mode.Now I just do as I always did and don't bother just stick vent covers on and pull blinds up with internal screens on -I would put the externals on but I found out one day in heavy rain that it let water run down the screen material that hooked over the door and eventually wet the door pockets (check yours out next time-I thought the same as your thinking but sure enough it was damp after an hour or so depending on wind :Smile:)
Now if we are not using van for a month os so I will put all bedding and soft furnishing into the house thats nice and warm anyway.
yorkieman I simply turn on all taps and open the waste tank -once it's emptied turn off all power and leave taps open and shower head on the floor-always worked for me :thumb:The anti frost valve has never opened in any vans I have had so never had to bother with that either :thumb:
terry

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I am deffo in the no humidifier camp -all you are doing is pulling in more fresh moisture into the van unless you can make it air tight it will always pull moisture in so will need running and emptying all the time ::bigsmile: A small heater (Volusia ) could be benifical or even a light bulb left on would probably surfice.

I would put the externals on but I found out one day in heavy rain that it let water run down the screen material that hooked over the door and eventually wet the door pockets (check yours out next time-I thought the same as your thinking but sure enough it was damp after an hour or so depending on wind :Smile:)

terry

Same prob with externals-very dependant on wind direction and amount of rain ::bigsmile:
I put a big folded piece of rag on door arm rest and that soaks it up.

Mike

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I agree with the No dehumidifier idea, surely all it will do is search our moisture and that is what it will draw in through the vents.

We remove all soft furniishing, open all the cupboards, loo door, fridge, all water is drained down and vents and taps left open, 12v power switched off.
Never had any problems, we also have a spare external silver screen we put in place over the winter.
The solar panel keeps the batteries topped up so no need to worry about the alarm being left on. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Same prob with externals-very dependant on wind direction and amount of rain ::bigsmile:
I put a big folded piece of rag on door arm rest and that soaks it up.

Mike

Yep thought I was clever one year putting the externals on,until after about 4 weeks I found a light mould in the door pocket -took me a while to figure it out :thumb: Could have been a lot worse to clean it out if it had been left longer :Smile:You live and learn :thumb:
terry

Footpad

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
South Downs National Park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Many
How does a dehumidifier suck in damp?

I'm confused, if you dehumidify air the volume is not reduced so how can this result in more wet air being drawn into the van when it's already full?

I suspect there might be a bit of damp transfer at the interface between dry air and wet air but this is a tiny area and using a dehumidifier once a week will more than keep up with this.

So far we have heard opinions (inc my three pennyworth) does anybody out there really know what they are talking about on this subject?

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I'm confused, if you dehumidify air the volume is not reduced so how can this result in more wet air being drawn into the van when it's already full?

I suspect there might be a bit of damp transfer at the interface between dry air and wet air but this is a tiny area and using a dehumidifier once a week will more than keep up with this.

So far we have heard opinions (inc my three pennyworth) does anybody out there really know what they are talking about on this subject?
All I know is that it's working well so far. Only time will tell. Also the MH is totally covered (restricts air movement) and the dehumidifier only runs in daylight, when the house solar panels are supplying the electrics, so hopefully no cost.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

IMO vans have built in vents etc so fresh air is always going to get in:thumb:-if your theory worked then a humidifier would take all the moisture out of a van within a few days and it would never need emptying after that -- in practice they need emptying after the fisrt week and then less regularly admitted -van would need to be in a sealed room :Smile:IMO fact ::bigsmile:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
After thought every time you open the door to check your dehumidifier you let a whole new lot of damp air in ::bigsmile:
Terry

Footpad

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Many
Very good point Terry, opening the door will let in a large amount of, potentially,:Smile: damp air but that will quickly be dealt with by the infernal machine before it is absorbed by the furnishings etc.

I always set mine up with the drain dripping into the under-bunk water tank with the bottom bung removed to avoid the need to enter and empty.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I could be persuaded about the efficacy of a dehumidifier if a user could publish figures showing that over a period of the time two things had happened.
1. The humidity level in the motorhome had decreased from an unacceptable level at commencement to an acceptable level.
2. That level was maintained despite fluctuations in the external humidity level.

For a normal lived-in house an acceptable level is,I believe, between 40%-60%

Just my opinions btw. ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
After many years in Air Conditioning / ventilation industry I will try to shine some light on this issue. All air carries water vapour, the temperature of the air limits the amount carried, warm air can carry more than cold. The difference in the amount of water in any two volumes of air is the water vapour pressure, this water vapour pressure behaves much like a difference in air pressure, so de humidifying an area with open air vents is like trying to develop a low pressure zone in a similar environment with a vacuum pump,impossible.As soon as the dehumidifier draws water vapour out of the air in the MH, replacement water vapour will enter through the vents.
Dehumidifiers work well when the area is at a higher water vapour pressure than the surrounding ambient condition,ie after a flood, when the machine will assist in drawing the moisture down to ambient condition.
Now back to the Saturday paper!,

:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Very good point Terry, opening the door will let in a large amount of, potentially,:Smile: damp air but that will quickly be dealt with by the infernal machine before it is absorbed by the furnishings etc.

I always set mine up with the drain dripping into the under-bunk water tank with the bottom bung removed to avoid the need to enter and empty.

Sorry welcome FP :thumb: no real right or wrong answer on humidifiers you either use one or don't ::bigsmile: I tried one yrs ago when I first started after being told I needed one :Smile: it soon became clear to me I didn't need one :Smile: and was wasting my money trying to draw air moisture out of what basically was the atmosphere.
I do find that if I put the van heating on for a few hours before we set off that has the effect of warming the cushion s instead of feeling cold they are nice and warm ::bigsmile:
never been to a dealers that puts humidifier in there thousands of pounds worth of stock :winky:
Terry

Footpad

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Many
You are right Terry and I think Zains Pops must know what he is talking about but you could use the same arguments to claim that heating your house was a waste of time because it would only get cold again.

Anyway I don't have any shares in a Dehumidifier Manufacturer so let each individual make their own choice. I will continue to leave all locker doors open and use my machine and I hope I continue to keep my van mould and musty smell free.

I hope you all achieve the same result by your favoured methods.:thumb:

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
my poor van sat for 4 years :Sad: the only living thing to enter the van in 4 years was a family of mice :Eeek: but I seem to have been lucky van seems to be very dry only one tiny bit of mildew in the top back corner and didnt smell musty

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back