Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
This may be a pretty stupid question BUT how many earth their generator? I have used generators on and off for many years but NOT for an MH. When using EHU you are earthed back to source but not so with a generator, is there a danger of static build up:Eeek:. The instructions say earth the genny out so earth it out it will be but who else earths theirs out?
Many thanks for any replies.
Cal

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
i do.:thumb: .....with a length of wire from earth screw on genny to a thick steel tent peg , either knocked into ground or if on hard standing put the genny on top of earthing peg..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the generator isnt 'earthed' to ground there is no return earth path from the van.

number 1 safety advise to digger drivers....if you hit a cable DO NOT get off your machine as you become the earth path.

if you earth the genny you need to earth the van as well or in a fault situation you step out the van you become the earth return path.

on generator power i would sooner not have an earth.

using an earth spike requires quite detailed knowledge for it to work correctly....just banging a metal rod in the ground isnt good enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
if the generator isnt 'earthed' to ground there is no return earth path from the van.

number 1 safety advise to digger drivers....if you hit a cable DO NOT get off your machine as you become the earth path.

if you earth the genny you need to earth the van as well or in a fault situation you step out the van you become the earth return path.

[HI]using an earth spike requires quite detailed knowledge for it to work correctly....just banging a metal rod in the ground isnt good enough.
[/HI]

And if your holding the earth spike while hitting it with your club hammer, and it goes through an under ground electric cable, :winky: your history. :whatthe: Bob.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
and i see so many that don't even bother and sum that put in a tent peg in to bone dry ground and have seen one with earth in to a bucket of earth:ROFLMAO: i prefer to use a coper shrouded piece of 8mm 10mm coper pipe thread bar in to the ground at least 2 ft more if possible to pick up the damp ground in to dry soil you may as well not borther
then make the ground wet around the peg best place i have fund is where my gray water drips out then you don't nead to keep poring water on the aria.
i don't use a genny much now but that was my way may be wrong but sum earthing is better than no earthing

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Wow, in ten years I've never earthed my genny....

I've never worried about reverse polarity neither

I'm such a dangerous man :Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the mechanics or testing an earth spike for correct functionality

no good just banging a metal rod in the ground

Attachments

• 8.13b.jpg
    8.13b.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 78

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
This may be a pretty stupid question BUT how many earth their generator? I have used generators on and off for many years but NOT for an MH. When using EHU you are earthed back to source but not so with a generator, is there a danger of static build up:Eeek:. The instructions say earth the genny out so earth it out it will be but who else earths theirs out?
Many thanks for any replies.
Cal

Don't worry about it. A motorhome using a gennie is basically using IT earthing, which isn't a particularly bad system, especially when using predominately double insulated appliances.

Make sure you have an RCD. And if you suspect a fault, jump down from the step double footed, rather than stepping down...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In all the vans I have owned when running a genny there has never been an earth light on the polarity tester. But the van I have now shows an earth not only on the genny but on the inverter. Everything is wired through a shunt, would this make a difference.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
When using a generator, why install an earth spike, the machine is connected to your MH by cable. There is nothing supplying the generator, so an earth return path is not required.

An earth cable is provided to return fault currents to their source, which in the case of a generator is the generator.

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having trouble posting, evidently my post is too short, it should be at least 1 character despite being several sentences??? Not sure what's going on at all, I have closed then and reopened MHF, also closed multiquote, any suggestions please.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
This is the way I see it.

I see no point in this as the earth return will be via the cable direct to the genny.

Can you please explain for the benefit of others contributing to this thread.

using an earth spike requires quite detailed knowledge for it to work correctly....just banging a metal rod in the ground isnt good enough.
I think banging a rod into suitably wet ground would be good enough.

Many thanks for your time and trouble in answering my query, I'm sure others have learned from you and other posters.

Don't worry about it. A motorhome using a gennie is basically using IT earthing, which isn't a particularly bad system, especially when using predominately double insulated appliances.
No idea what an IT system is, can you please briefly explain.

Make sure you have an RCD.

A good point, one I had NOT considered but will now.
And if you suspect a fault, jump down from the step double footed, rather than stepping down... Not so easy getting back in though.:ROFLMAO:
When using a generator, why install an earth spike, the machine is connected to your MH by cable. There is nothing supplying the generator, so an earth return path is not required.
But the earth return is via that cable and terminates at the genny, without an earth cable it has nowhere to go.

An earth cable is provided to return fault currents to their source, which in the case of a generator is the generator.

Exactly my point.

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well it's obvious there is a lot of knowledge and experience out there together with differing opinions, thank to those who have taken the time to reply, I'm sure many have learnt something but keep the knowledge flowing as this earthing business is an important safety issue for all motor homers and those over on the "dark" side (caravanners:Eeek:).
Regards
Cal

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having trouble posting, evidently my post is too short, it should be at least 1 character despite being several sentences??? Not sure what's going on at all, I have closed then and reopened MHF, also closed multiquote, any suggestions please.
Well the only way I could get round this was to copy the post I wanted to quote, paste into word and add my comment, then copy it back to MHF, not sure why but got there in the end.
Cal

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK, if your van is live due to a fault, and and you use an earth spike on your Genny, when you step out of the van you die.

If you don't earth your plastic enclosed genny and your van is live, you step out of your van, there is no circuit to complete and you don't die.

Of course this assumes the tyres are nice and dry and aren't conductive!

I think all motor caravanners should wear industrial nonconductive wellies, always!

However, your van won't go live in any case because your earths all go back to the Genny neutral. A live to earth connection results in a dead short and a blown trip. Problem solved!

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
OK, if your van is live due to a fault, and and you use an earth spike on your Genny, when you step out of the van you die.
Surely if the circuit is complete via the earth cable from the genny to the ground the MH can't become live??
If you don't earth your plastic enclosed genny and your van is live, you step out of your van, there is no circuit to complete and you don't die.
To me this is the opposite to what would happen but I am NOT an electrician.

Of course this assumes the tyres are nice and dry and aren't conductive!

I think all motor caravanners should wear industrial nonconductive wellies, always!

However, your van won't go live in any case because your earths all go back to the Genny neutral. A live to earth connection results in a dead short and a blown trip. Problem solved!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Point one, yes!

Point two, you are electrocuted when you form a circuit from live to neutral. In your house, or a campsite, all neutrals are connected to earth at the sub station. In our house, due to the dry sandy soil we are on, our earths are connected to neutral at our house, a Protective Multiple Earth, or PME system. When you touch a live wire, you are connecting it through yourself, through the ground under your feet, to neutral at the substation.

When using a generator, your van is 'earthed' via your hookup lead, to the neutral of the generator. You will not form a circuit to actual earth, by touching a live wire, unless you use an earthing spike on your generator. Even if your van did become live by means of a faulty hookup lead, simply touching actual ground will not result in a shock because your generator neutral is not connected to the ground it is sat on.

Does that make sense?

This whole earthing business is not a problem in most countries, its just us trying save money by having the planet used as the neutral connection for the national grid rather than putting a fourth cable on our pylons!::bigsmile:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
This whole earthing business is not a problem in most countries, its just us trying save money by having the planet used as the neutral connection for the national grid rather than putting a fourth cable on our pylons!::bigsmile:

With you on the other points but this last one isn't quite correct. The supply to your house is by 4 core cable from a star connected transformer with a centre tapped earth, in a secondary substation. The supply to the sec. sub. is by 3 core cable from a delta connected transformer with no earth, in a primary sub. Earth faults are transmitted back to the sec. sub. and then appear as load on the primary. I'll bet not a lot of people wanted to know that!! :Eeek:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I sometimes use a genny.

I never, ever earth the genny.

If this causes my death please feel free to say "I told you so..."

Many, many times I drive along a road in a motohome. Now that really is putting me and any passengers in danger.

JJ :Cool:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Deffo 2 core cable to our gaffe, its via an overhead cable.

Had it renewed last year!:thumb:

Our earths all connect to neutral via the distribution board to the lock off.
Its because the the earth impedance is too high due the dry land round here.

Not many underground cables round here!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Point one, yes!

Point two, you are electrocuted when you form a circuit from live to neutral. In your house, or a campsite, all neutrals are connected to earth at the sub station. In our house, due to the dry sandy soil we are on, our earths are connected to neutral at our house, a Protective Multiple Earth, or PME system. When you touch a live wire, you are connecting it through yourself, through the ground under your feet, to neutral at the substation.

When using a generator, your van is 'earthed' via your hookup lead, to the neutral of the generator. You will not form a circuit to actual earth, by touching a live wire, unless you use an earthing spike on your generator. Even if your van did become live by means of a faulty hookup lead, simply touching actual ground will not result in a shock because your generator neutral is not connected to the ground it is sat on.

Does that make sense?
Yes, at last you have got through the foggy static in my brain, thank you for simplifying this not only for me but for others.
Regards
Cal

:thumb:

Last edited:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

re-earthing genny didn,t bother with mine at newark, power surge [accidently switched heating on] charging wifes nippy battery to operate her breathing machine, put kettle on,
funny smell van heater elements caput [ouch ] wifes machine caput [ouuch ] van electricks [box ] caput [ouuuch ] generator,scrapped [ caput ] bought new generator [kipor] sinewave/inverter comes with earthing point YES I ALWAYS EARTH GENNY NOW:thumb:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
re-earthing genny didn,t bother with mine at newark, power surge [accidently switched heating on] charging wifes nippy battery to operate her breathing machine, put kettle on,
funny smell van heater elements caput [ouch ] wifes machine caput [ouuch ] van electricks [box ] caput [ouuuch ] generator,scrapped [ caput ] bought new generator [kipor] sinewave/inverter comes with earthing point YES I ALWAYS EARTH GENNY NOW:thumb:

Earthing your generator achieves nothing.

Where are any earth faults in your MH going to be returned to? Your generator. You have nothing feeding your generator and hence nowhere else for earth faults to go, so a generator earth point would do nothing.

Sounds like your problem was actually overload and not an earth fault. You need to know the electrical rating of your equipment to avoid exceeding your generator capacity.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

as you have pointed out i overloaded my genny,this new one has a overload trip fitted, i also have an in line power surge protector fitted ,hopefully no more electrical issues,:Doh:

Earthing your generator achieves nothing.

Where are any earth faults in your MH going to be returned to? Your generator. You have nothing feeding your generator and hence nowhere else for earth faults to go, so a generator earth point would do nothing.

Sounds like your problem was actually overload and not an earth fault. You need to know the electrical rating of your equipment to avoid exceeding your generator capacity.

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
well my first reply to OP question , was i earth my genny,
after reading all the replies i have decided not to earth any more then i dont have to do the long jump to get out of van,:roflmto:
can i also thank the funsters who with more electrical knowledge than me, have taken the time to inform us of the reasons why we should or should not do things.and keeping us safe.. thank you bill .:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back