Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Yep, no nasty niffs and your mobile outhouse is 'ready for use' quicker post-dump, if you get my drift.

The SOG system tended to make a faint humming noise on the one we had in a rented Hymer a while ago.

Maybe it should be renamed to 'Sucks Out Guffs'...

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I had one on my last MH

Pros as above

Cons

I am not sure of the correct procedure for use, but the outlet air hose (which is attached to the cassette) on mine had no plug when bought, so I was confused as to how to empty. Initially took hose off door and took the whole lot to the empty point, bit of a hand full. Then found it should have had a plug, bought one, this then fits on cassette when emptying, so disconnected hose from cassette end, no problem at all then, but bought 2 plugs in case I lost one. (never did lose it of course, because I had a spare)

Worst problem I had, (not nice), I did not have a plug at the time, travelled with a nearly full cassette (had been wild camping so no option to empty) and emptied a lot of the cassette contents through the air outlet hose, down the side of my MH on twisty lanes, on a dry sunny day, took some getting off :Eeek:

I see that a few SOG systems have a roof vent so this could not happen to them and it is possible the system on mine had not been fitted properly, I would have expected some kind of float valve inside the cassette to stop just this. But it only happens once!!

Personally I would not bother fitting one, but would not remove if fitted already

I now have a black tank with a whole new set of pros / cons!!

Hope this helps :thumb:

David

Upvote 0

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Brilliant piece of kit and it will pay for itself as you do not need any chemicals plus there is a lot more sites who do not like you to put chemicals into their systems. It cost us £100.00 at a show and we believe it is worth very penny. We were told it's a simple DIY but we got the manufacturer of our van to put it in when the van went into the factory to get some new bits fitted.

Harry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Depends on how often you use your van simply because 100 quid buys a awful lot of chemicals-- in most peoples cases probably 10 yrs worth -- how long do you keep the van ::bigsmile: =diy sog cost, nothing:thumb:
Terry

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Have you searched the forums for answers? This subject has been covered many times. I think the SOG is very worthwhile. As well as benefits mentioned, it means the cassette can be emptied in a septic tank (e.g. public loos in remote places) and can be emptied when only part full without considering the downside of potentially wasted chemicals. This is very useful when using camperstops or 'wilding'. We have just returned from 6 weeks in France and I generally emptied the toilet every day where possible. As we use aires that means I don't have to worry whether there will be a dump point in the next place we visit.
As an aside, by using aires (camperstops) our average nightly pitch cost over 6 weeks was 50 € cents and that was only because we paid for two nights at the campsite in Saumur.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is there anything stopping a cassette being used without chemicals? the only smell issue would be when opening the blade, but as the bowl already has similar in it how bad can this be? :whatthe:

Then you can use a standard loo with all the benefits of no chemical as with a SOG but no capital investment to recover

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There are two methods of using the toilet.

1) open the blade, do business, flush, close blade.
2) Put small amount of water in bowl, do business, small flush, open and shut blade as quick as possible.

I used to have a sog and used method 1. On last 2 vans I have used method 2 without a sog and don't use any chemicals at all.

A SOG is essential if using method 1 :Doh::ROFLMAO:

A SOG makes no difference at all if using method 2.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back