Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
For ages and ages now, whilst browsing MHF (May our Leader be praised, etc) having got to eg Page 3 or 32 of a thread, or even after leaping to the last page from page 1 by clicking the 'Go to first unread' button - the back button does not work. (ie the big blue button with the LH arrow on the browser (IE) toolbar)

So we have to either click on 'New Posts' in the top menu again, or go to 'Favourites' and open the site again, or whatever.

This happens on both the PC and the lappy, it happens when we are on the site independently and also when we are both browsing at the same time. Both Networked through the same router.

I mean OK this can happen very occasionally on any website or forum when t'internet 'hangs' for some reason (unknown to us) but it's every single time we come here to MHF.

Has anyone got any (sensible preferably!) clues what might be causing this and/or what we can do to stop this?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
First see if it's an IE problem, download Firefox, it's very good.

FUN does hang quite a lot. On Firefox the clue is a "loading" symbol rotating sometimes for ever. Often I open a new tab, load FUN, usually immediate, then I'll see that the page I've just posted is working fine but the first tab is still waiting for FUN.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
First see if it's an IE problem, download Firefox, it's very good.

FUN does hang quite a lot. On Firefox the clue is a "loading" symbol rotating sometimes for ever. Often I open a new tab, load FUN, usually immediate, then I'll see that the page I've just posted is working fine but the first tab is still waiting for FUN.

Errrr.. Take a look at how Firefox works. The IP refresh protocol is too long ( in my opinion ). Then go and download Chrome and see how fast our server really is :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Errrr.. Take a look at how Firefox works. The IP refresh protocol is too long ( in my opinion ). Then go and download Chrome and see how fast our server really is :winky:

Most of the time I have any problem with Firefox being slow is when it is waiting for the site being accessed to bring in some Google adverts. Who publishes Chrome again? :roflmto:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Which is proly why it is so much faster !!

No point in trying to swim agin the tide young man !!!!! :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Better that than swimming straight into the jaws of the great big Google shark ::bigsmile:

It looks more like this every day.

For years now, "here little person, a nice free sweetie for you".

But look closely and they've damned near taken over the internet and mobile phones, for their benefit.

"There is no such thing as a free meal".

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I agree,,, but unless you build your own browser and set the refresh as aggressively as Google there is not much you can do about it..

But if you wanna use an inferior ( :winky: ) product, is there not a version of adblocker for Firefox ?
That would stop your particular delay ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Those problems that were mentioned in Hilldwellers thread, should be sorted now. As for the back button not working that's a local issue, clear your cache and try again or try it with another browser. Then I'm sure you'll find its OK, get back to me if it is not:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree,,, but unless you build your own browser and set the refresh as aggressively as Google there is not much you can do about it..

But if you wanna use an inferior ( :winky: ) product, is there not a version of adblocker for Firefox ?
That would stop your particular delay ?

I have Adblock Plus installed but some sites still access Google content, just doesn't get displayed.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

Ghostery will block google adsense/ analytics and will also block tracking cookies. It's also available for Chrome. :Smile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
For ages and ages now, whilst browsing MHF (May our Leader be praised, etc) having got to eg Page 3 or 32 of a thread, or even after leaping to the last page from page 1 by clicking the 'Go to first unread' button - the back button does not work. (ie the big blue button with the LH arrow on the browser (IE) toolbar)

So we have to either click on 'New Posts' in the top menu again, or go to 'Favourites' and open the site again, or whatever.

This happens on both the PC and the lappy, it happens when we are on the site independently and also when we are both browsing at the same time. Both Networked through the same router.

I mean OK this can happen very occasionally on any website or forum when t'internet 'hangs' for some reason (unknown to us) but it's every single time we come here to MHF.

Has anyone got any (sensible preferably!) clues what might be causing this and/or what we can do to stop this?

Suggestion, place your cursor on the hyperlink, right button, open in new window, read what you wish, original page in tact.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Have you tried clearing your cookies and getting a new one?...they can get old...and have odd effects

I use IE-always have,always will do ::bigsmile: I have it set to delete all History,Cookies,Temp Files,in fact everything when I exit.
I rarely experience the problems that I read about on here-am I just lucky ?

Mike

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
IE has got so complex over the years that now even business IT professionals are always using Firefox, Chrome is built by Google but most of the web is Google so why fight it :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back