Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Rocky is an 8 year old German Shepherd and had some quite heavy tartar deposits, so I thought I get them descaled and polished under anesthesia. The longer dogs can keep their teeth clean the longer they keep their health. Just paid the Vet £150 :cry:there is never a cheap visit to the vets these days:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Rocky is an 8 year old German Shepherd and had some quite heavy tartar deposits, so I thought I get them descaled and polished under anesthesia. The longer dogs can keep their teeth clean the longer they keep their health. Just paid the Vet £150 :cry:there is never a cheap visit to the vets these days:Smile:
Sounds like vets are very cheap in your part of the country, would have been double that here.:Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
that sounds about what my vet had on a flyer in the surgery for September as a special offer so sounds quite good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
He came up to say goodbye to me on Monday morning...

Very upset he was.... told me you were taking him to the vets for the snip...

The little Liar... :winky::ROFLMAO:

He`s lovely... :thumb:

Attachments

• P1040291 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1040291 (600 x 450).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 76
  • P1040292 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1040292 (600 x 450).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 84

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
He came up to say goodbye to me on Monday morning...

Very upset he was.... told me you were taking him to the vets for the snip...

The little Liar... :winky::ROFLMAO:

He`s lovely... :thumb:

Thats because you shared his favourite tree

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have kept dogs for work and competition all my life, I have had DOZENS of them, 73 English Springer Spaniels alone plus other breeds so my experience of vets is considerable. The first thing to remember when visiting one is that there is no NHS for animals, so step through the door and you start paying, they will load your bill to the max every time, you are normally charged for everything. I never insured one of mine as the premiums could have bought me a whole terrace of houses, instead I sat back hoping I had yet another healthy dog on my hands which was usually the case but injuries happen and they (vets) are a necessary "evil" (hope there's no vets on here):Eeek:.
The £150 for cleaning teeth is quite a good price but you can be pacified with the fact that you have made a contribution to his next month off holidaying with dolphins off the coast of Peru before jetting up to Iceland to watch whales from a private charter boat, while we sip home made ale in our MH in a noisy layby next to a major trunk road before being moved on by the police:whatthe:.
Regards
Cal

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Not wanting to upset you

My son just paid £58,00 to have his done

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Our 10 year old Bearded Collie went a few weeks ago, as he had a cracked tooth, while he was there asked the vet to check his paws, as he the dog not the vet :ROFLMAO: was knawing at them, no other treatment, bill over £300 we have never had insurance, as vets bump up the price once they know you have insurance, plus insurance companies don`t want to know when your dog gets old, just when you need it mostly.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Our 10 year old Bearded Collie went a few weeks ago, as he had a cracked tooth, while he was there asked the vet to check his paws, as he the dog not the vet :ROFLMAO: was knawing at them, no other treatment, bill over £300 we have never had insurance, as vets bump up the price once they know you have insurance, plus insurance companies don`t want to know when your dog gets old, just when you need it mostly.

Dogs sometimes get a little Mite between their toes, it's worthwhile checking every so often, they are easy to spot, just a bit smaller than a pinhead, and because they suck blood, they are red. just scrape them of with your finger nail. If you use an all over flea rinse, make sure you "massage" it into their toes is another way.
A Dog is a clever creature he/she will tell you if something is wrong, you just have to be clever enough to spot it:roflmto:

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
awwe your shephard looks beautiful.
we too have a GS,Harley,he is 3 now-just starting to get braver.
i swear by pedigree dentasticks.never had a tooth/vet bill yet.our border terrier had them and i changed to tescos own version.when he went for his yearly booster and check up the vet said he had alot of tartar build up n needed a good clean.i told her i would weait 6 weeks first while i put him back on the pedigree ones and voila he no longer needed to go.you could see it coming off.so,Harley has always been having the pedigree ones and so far so good.
also the dogs seem to adore them,like catnip.

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
The amount they cost it's cheaper visiting the Vet every couple of years! ::bigsmile:
they are definately worth every penny plus the dog has no discomfort and freshish doggy breath.
we buy ours from b&m at £6 a box.there is 28 in a box and he has 2 a day.:Smile:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Our four each have a pedigree dentastix every morning and their teeth are fine. Rory who is 6 has no tartar and a perfect set of nashers (or so a judge told me)!

They may be expensive but I buy them up when on special offer and as they work so well it saves the stress on the dogs of going to the vet to get them cleaned.

It is advocated that you brush the dogs teeth but can you imagine trying to do that with our fox terriers:ROFLMAO:

Kath and Howie

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
£150 with an anaesthetic sounds about right. takes 2 vet nurses and the vet to do the job plus meds

again another recommendation for dentastix absolutely brilliant and the dogs love them

insurance, well you get what you pay for and with a decent policy like petplan, they insure for life. as with my buddy, he broke his hip aged 3 with about £3000 vet bills then got cancer but they continued to cover him till he passed aged 17. not cheap, but then neither are vet bills and over his lifetime we were still better off financially for the insurance premiums. not only are they covered for vet bills, but also loss of holiday, kenneling and public liability. can you afford no insurance if your dog has or causes a major accident?

I have friends who are vets, and they certainly dont bump up the price for insurance jobs. the insurance companies pay investigators to research prices so it shouldnt happen. an insurance company will refuse to pay an excessive claim

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I think I must have met Rocky at a show somewhere some years ago, lovely dog, just like mine, I miss him when he died.

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our four each have a pedigree dentastix every morning and their teeth are fine. Rory who is 6 has no tartar and a perfect set of nashers (or so a judge told me)!

They may be expensive but I buy them up when on special offer and as they work so well it saves the stress on the dogs of going to the vet to get them cleaned.

[HI]It is advocated that you brush the dogs teeth but can you imagine trying to do that with our fox terriers:ROFLMAO: [/HI]

Kath and Howie

Nothing that can't be solved with a bit of lateral thinking Link Removed :roflmto:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you think that's bad, how about over £500 to have the anal glans removed on a Patterdale terrier! :Eeek: At present we're trying alternative ways to keep them from getting infected constantly so hopefully won't have to resort to surgery ....

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
If you think that's bad, how about over £500 to have the anal glans removed on a Patterdale terrier! :Eeek: At present we're trying alternative ways to keep them from getting infected constantly so hopefully won't have to resort to surgery ....

euw,our border terrier suffered with that.we had to learn how to squeeze them ourselves.he lives with the daughter now as,he is her dog,and funnily enough since he has been on bakers he doesnt get it so much.feel for you and your dog with anal glands.....:Blush:

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have friends who are vets, and they certainly dont bump up the price for insurance jobs.

:ROFLMAO:

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
euw,our border terrier suffered with that.we had to learn how to squeeze them ourselves.he lives with the daughter now as,he is her dog,and funnily enough since he has been on bakers he doesnt get it so much.feel for you and your dog with anal glands.....:Blush:
And there was me , just about to spread some nutella on me toast.
Perhaps I will have cornflakes instead:Eeek:

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
My dog went for a biopsy yesterday to test a big lump she has inside her she had to put out so they could do it £210 :Eeek: and shes not insured :thumbdown:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Our vet has prescribed some new medication for our dog which she will take for the rest of her life - £23 for 15 tablets. Saw them on the internet for 90 pence per tablet, however you need a prescription from your vet before you can buy them!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Discuss this with your local pharmacy Dude - you never know!

Certainly years ago a chap at work had a diabetic dog and the vet used to give him the scrip to get filled at Boots! (well, he charged him for the scrip, but ....) She was on a lower strength of the same insulin as me !

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Had the same with ours...£168....Mind, She removed a couple of teeth at the front which were loose - and a wart he had near his eye that was irritating him - so mainly the cost I think is down to the aneasthetic.

I then tried to get into brushing his teeth as she advised. Beefy toothpaste to hand, and funny brush. Snarling like a pit-bull....carry on lad, makes my life easier.

Of course, now he has cottoned onto the idea that the more he snarls, the more teeth he shows and the more I brush............he now snarls with his lips clamped shut and sounds like a motorbike!:ROFLMAO:

But that toothpaste does get rid of doggy breath!

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
had our dogs teeth done:thumb:
look great dont they:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 23080011.jpg
    23080011.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Meg has Dentastix but also has her teeth brushed most days. She doesn't mind as she has had it done since she was small. Her teeth are lovely.

Her toothpaste is liver flavoured (so it says on the tube, we haven't tried it)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back