Home Security Twin Camera System (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Toying with idea of installing a couple of cctv cameras and a dvr recorder to keep an eye on my van. Has anyone done it and have you any recommendations. I'd want to mount cameras highish up on rear of house looking out onto parking area. What sort of system and prices, theres a bewildering selection on fleabay all striving to outdo each other. :Confused:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I have a system made by Swann - been running continuously for two years. Good quality colour picture, infra red for night. Mounting can be an issue to consider - high will give good coverage but less clear picture; lower mounting will give better picture for recognition but narrow field of view. ideal set up would be to cover both. memory serves me right I paid approx. £200 for recorder and 4 cameras.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I bought my own kit a few years ago for watching over my car. Consists of a many wireless ip cameras as you want.. An infra red floodlight and a home broadband wireless router. I have edimax cameras.. They can record movement and sound... They are motion sensing and they email me instantly any piccies of movement..
I can connect from my phone and watch.. I can move the cameras and I can listen to any sound.
Requires port forwarding on the router and a dynamic dns record
Work great tho

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Go to Maplins for advice no need to buy!

Go to Maplins and you will find an expert/sales person who will take you through the systems they have. This may give you a better idea if you need to buy a cheaper version on say ebay but we found the cost as against the peace of mind it gives you is negligible.
We bought a Swan system from them and it has moved house with us and we bought it in 2009 and it is still going strong. We bought a base station with one camera at first and bought more as you think you need them spreading the cost as well but we thought we only needed one at first now we have three and should we need to we can put another camera on the base unit.
I would suggest you upgrade the hard drive which for a few quid more will give you 6 months or more on tape before it automatically rewrites over giving you continuity . So if you go away for a long time you can always rely on seeing any problems when you get back.:thumb:

Harry

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I bought a cheapo 4 camaera unit from ebay about 5 years ago, it does the job and is still all working ok now.

However last spring I fitted a "trueblue" swan unit to my work premisis and that is far better, much clearer picture with real time recording, maplins sell these and they are oftion on 20% discount if you not in a hurry and can wait. I bought mine from costco but they dont seam to have any at this time, it consists of 6 X static carmeras 1 X 3x zoom tilt and pan 1 X 27x zoom tilt and pan a 1 terabit real time recorder and a 32" hdmi input tv as a monitor, cost was around £1200 and its the dogs boXXol.

I cant recomend the swan unit enought, its very easy to use, easy to fit, just plug and play. It can can be networked so you see whats going on when away from home and viewed on a smart phone with the supplied app

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I have got a 8 camera sytem around my house.This is my 3rd system in around 12 yrs
You should spend money on better cameras :thumb:Will go into a bit more detail latter when I have a bit more time
terry

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
agree with previous. Maplins do a wide range and for about £200 you can get a pretty good system.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Again :Smile:3.6 mm lens are wide angled anything above 6 mm will give a very narrow view -sony 1/3 chip cameras are best more tv lines the better without going over the top - some nice HDMI dvr around on ebay for 70 quid without Hard drive -- try to mount cameras low ish down to get intruders faces yet high so not to let them get cameras.Hard wired are better than wireless but thats your choice.Anything above 5/6 mtrs away will be hard to tell who it is so bere in mind when siting camera :winky:All stuff from china ebay takes around 30 days to arive but there are bargains to be had.For a few quid more you can buy the same stuff from english sellers--Swann stuff is middle of road without good cameras and expensive for what it is
terry

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hi I have got a 8 camera sytem around my house.This is my 3rd system in around 12 yrs
You should spend money on better cameras :thumb:Will go into a bit more detail latter when I have a bit more time
terry
Terry, why do you need eight cameras around your house? Do you live in Donny or Sheffield?:ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, why do you need eight cameras around your house? Do you live in Donny or Sheffield?:ROFLMAO:
No but I live in between Donny Sheffield Rotherham and Barnsley :winky:
I set off with 4 to find out who the idiots where who used to come home from the pub and thought it funny to climb on top of the van and take pics of themselves :Smile:
That was before DVR was affordable so used tapes.Then I got a DVR and 8 cameras that turned out to be not very good so changed cameras,hence buying better ones an about 2 yrs ago had to renew all system again and sold old system for almost as much as I got for new one.Then last month I had to replace the DVR £60 no idea why the other packed up :winky:
4 cameras were good but the 8 system is /gives more coverage :thumb:1 looking over back garden 2 covering vehicles front and back 1 covering garage 1 from garage to rear of house 2 covering left and rt views of front and the last one is in front porch.Some are high up giving panoramic views but you would not realistically know who a stranger was and others lower down to capture faces etc so that you would have good pics to find out who strangers are ::bigsmile:

Jhosf -- No need plenty around if I wanted any, but never smoked anything in my whole life :Smile: Besides I don't think tabacci growers would like police knocking on there door to see if your cameras caught so and so out side doing so and so --I simply tell them the cameras only cover inside my property--After I showed them a couple of times where they point they tend to belive me ::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back