Next Question (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
can anyone tell me why my wireless connection keeps dropping.
i thought i mighjt be out of range but shirls lappy works fine (same wireless card installed) in the time it taken to write this its dropped 3 times.

drops then within a couple of seconds it reconnects then drops and reconnects again, well baffled.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
It sounds like your dialer is trying to dial out on a non existant phone line:Eeek:
Go to control panel, then internet options. look for the tab "connection" if there is anything in the box delete it (it should be blank) not even aol,com).:Eeek:this is for telephone line so should be empty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It sounds like your dialer is trying to dial out on a non existant phone line:Eeek:
Go to control panel, then internet options. look for the tab "connection" if there is anything in the box delete it (it should be blank) not even aol,com).:Eeek:this is for telephone line so should be empty.

deleted everything and it still drops :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
every thing? should only be one possibly aol. It was connection you went to and not general?
Another thought , have you had the filters out and maybe put them back in wrong order?

Alternatively, switch off put kettle on make a brew then come back switch on and log onto aol and see what happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
every thing? should only be one possibly aol. It was connection you went to and not general?
Another thought , have you had the filters out and maybe put them back in wrong order?

Alternatively, switch off put kettle on make a brew then come back switch on and log onto aol and see what happens.

Uhh..?????

sorry....foriegn language..:Doh:

i had the dialer number(BBDialer) in there for my dongle. deleted that as well:Doh:

tried the kettle but that doesnt do anything either.:Angry:

this is really annoying as i have to preview each post i write then copy it so i ndont lose it whan the connection fails. :Angry:just paste it into a new post.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
The Filters are the little boxes that you plug into every phone outlet then plug the phone into .:ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
its not configured right John. is it droppping after the same amount of time?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Possibly a daft question John but are your machine and Shirl's connecting from the same room? Wireless signals can be disrupted by materials in walls/floors between the hub and the computer.

What I would do is check that the settings on both machines are the same and try connecting with the two machines side by side. If there is still a problem then the wireless card may well be faulty.

Graham

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Possibly a daft question John but are your machine and Shirl's connecting from the same room? Wireless signals can be disrupted by materials in walls/floors between the hub and the computer.

What I would do is check that the settings on both machines are the same and try connecting with the two machines side by side. If there is still a problem then the wireless card may well be faulty.

Graham

cheers graham,

i had thought of that but never got round to doing it.

i checked setting with my pc and they match but thats connected through a wireless dongle. dont know if that makes a difference.

i'll try as you sugested tonight.:thumb:

hope its not the card, sounds expensive.:Angry:

i'v taken my lappy to work in the hope of finding an unsecured network to see if it works on another network or if its my router at fault but as usual you cant find a network when you need one.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i checked setting with my pc and they match but thats connected through a wireless dongle. dont know if that makes a difference.

If the PC is connecting to the Internet direct through a mobile phone dongle and the laptop is connecting through a wireless home network linked to a landline Broadband service then there will be differences in the settings.

Graham

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the PC is connecting to the Internet direct through a mobile phone dongle and the laptop is connecting through a wireless home network linked to a landline Broadband service then there will be differences in the settings.

Graham

hib graham,

when i say a dongle i mean a usb wireless device not a t mobile/orange ect internet dongle.

the pc is connected via the wireless network as is my lappy but only mine drops...

checked on another wireless network and it seems to hold the connection ok. naughty i know but i dont know who's it was....just an unencrypted network in town.

shirl's (this lappy) works ok but she's on vista where-as im on XP so the setup pages are different so i cant cross reference.

daughters just connected ok on her lappy.:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yeeesssssss

dont know why i didnt do it earlier when i realised there was a problem. :Doh::Doh:

reinstall the wireless card drivers. :thumb:

job done, one happy bunny again.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

just got to sort AOL now:Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
dont know why i didnt do it earlier when i realised there was a problem. :Doh::Doh:

reinstall the wireless card drivers. :thumb:

job done, one happy bunny again.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

just got to sort AOL now:Angry:

Nice one John, sorry I misinterpreted the dongle bit.

Best way to sort AOL is to dump it - so long as you are connected do you actually need access to anything AOL offers?

Graham

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
personally i dont use it except for email.
shirl has all her suppliers web addresses on there as favorites and she wont write 'em down on paper so could be a long, drawn out job changing ISP. she's also concerned about her email addresses if we change as she has 3 accounts for different things.

i feel we are getting a bargain with just the free (£8 extra) unlimited phonecalls (local + national 24/7) as our normal BT bill was always around £150 per month but i know other ISPs do similar deals so have to look into it.

hey....been on 37 mins now and no drops.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
got it in the repair shop.

infected with 187 viruses. :whatthe::whatthe:

he said it probably is a virus attacking the wi-fi software buy until he gets rid of them he wont know for sure just what was causing it to play silly b****rs

my virus protection obviously aint up to the job.:Angry:

i have the latest version of AVG installed but it looks like it aint enough.

hopefully when he's cleared everything it will run a lot faster too.

any suggestions as to which FREE virus software to use.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We use AVG8 anti-virus and Windows Defender but behind a hardware firewall and with Zone Alarm (XP machines) or Windows Firewall (Vista machine) software firewalls. No problems for years.

Sometimes viruses can get you as a result things like changing of suppliers. A friend, a few years ago, got a similar number of viruses as you after signing up for a broadband package and connecting before installing AV or firewall software.

Graham

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
got it back from the repair shop today.

viruses deleted, every possible update known to man, service pack 3 installed.

all unnessecery files deleted, regestry cleaned.

RAM upgraded to 1 gig from 512 meg.

got home and connected to the modem and guess what............it dropped again. :cry:

rang the guy and told him and he said he had it connected for 5 hours today no trouble. bring it back and we'll install a new card.

then he rang back and asked what router i had.....NETGEAR DG834GT.

oh.....they have pi** poor range....and you could be on the limit.

sure enough, moved closer and it works fine. :thumb:i also increased the transmitter power a bit and it works where it normally does now.:thumb:

going to move the router to a better location so all the computers work.

still , it was £74 well spent as it's a lot faster.::bigsmile:

turns out the guy subscribes to the other MHF so we had a bit of a natter about motorhomes at the same time.:thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Finally sorted

at last i got it sorted.

had a play with my old router/modem and found the access code to set it up.........10.0.0.138

found the setup pge and away we go.........everything restored except the encryption. then found the page for encrpyting and set that.

then to the wifi card..........found the website and downloaded the latest drivers and connection updates and i now have full wifi access and a wifi card that works.

plus as a bonus! i have access to AOL again.
may get some peace from shirl now. :ROFLMAO:

so now i have for sale a netgear router/modem plus a netgear wifi card and a wifi dongle.
i'll get them on the classifieds as soon as i can.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back