Fridge - gas lights up but doesn't cool. (1 Viewer)

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Hi
Electrolux fridge works ok on EHU and 12v. Gas lights up ok and pilot light stays on but the fridge doesn't cool!
Anyone got any idea why?
Thanks
Anna

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Hi
Electrolux fridge works ok on EHU and 12v. Gas lights up ok and pilot light stays on but the fridge doesn't cool!
Anyone got any idea why?
Thanks
Anna

Could be several things , first of all is the fridge level needs to be pretty level to work right on gas,
second could be muck/spiderwebs /carbon around the burner or stuck to the thermocouple,
thirdly could be a slightly blocked jet.
There isn't a pilot light the flame you see is what should be doing the business is it nice and blue as it should be or yellow. could even be the burner slightly out of line
if any of the above it will need a service etc

chindit

Free Member
Sep 12, 2013
lincoln
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Fridge

Hi, mine was the same, a friend who is a fridge engineer took it out,turned it upside down for a night then replaced it. After 12 hrs. lit the fridge and it worked perfectly, through lack of use the gas wanted stirring up. Phil.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
Hi
Anyone got any idea why?
Thanks
Anna
your best bet is to have it serviced its probably blocked with carbon then once its ok turn the fridge on gas for at least half hour once a week.ive just had mine serviced also an Electrolux and the engineer advised me to do that.they no longer make these fridges now.regards steve

OP
OP
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
your best bet is to have it serviced its probably blocked with carbon then once its ok turn the fridge on gas for at least half hour once a week.ive just had mine serviced also an Electrolux and the engineer advised me to do that.they no longer make these fridges now.regards steve

Many thanks for the replies with suggestions.

We live in SW France, so not sure where we could get it serviced, will have to look into that. In the meantime, hubby is going to have another look at it.

Re turning upside down, as fridge is working on EHU and on 12v, the fridge is working so the problem isn't anything to do with the fridge gas. But would have been an good idea to try if fridge wasn't working at all, so thanks for suggesting.

It's a real pain as, at present, we're restricted to only being able to park up at stops with EHU!

Thanks again.
Anna

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Assuming the fridge is level to within 3 degrees then the problem is most likely to be a dirty burner and sooted up flue. Gas fridges should be serviced annually, more frequently if frequently used on gas. Once the burner gets dirty it causes incomplete combustion which produces soot which then builds up on the inside wall of the flue tube. This soot acts as an insulator so combined with the fact that less heat is being produced by the flame even less of the heat that is produced gets absorbed into the cooling circuit and the fridge stops cooling on gas. More importantly this means that the burner is almost certainly producing very high levels of CO (Carbon Monoxide), if this enters the living area you may well wake up dead one morning!

My advice is DO NOT try to run it on gas until it has been serviced and get it serviced as soon as possible.

D.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Ops :Blush: you have just described everything that our fridge has started to do - soot, smell and not cooling down much - guess what Colin will be doing this weekend.

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
when you release the knob after lighting the pilot does it spring back out could be the valve shaft seized in only allowing the pilot to light

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
when you release the knob after lighting the pilot does it spring back out could be the valve shaft seized in only allowing the pilot to light

With the greatest of respect to the poster this is false advice. There is no "pilot light" in a gas powered fridge just the actual burner. On older absorption fridges temperature regulation was rather a hit and miss affair as it involved you manually adjusting the flame with the control knob to give the cooling level required, this would alter according to ambient temperature. Later absorption fridges use a temperature sensor inside the fridge to monitor and either adjust the gas flow to the burner (rare) or just switch it off when down to preset temperature then reignite it when temp rises, the latter is the most common method of temperature control on modern absorption fridges.

D.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
fridge-doesn't cool properly

Hi
Anyone got any idea why?
Thanks
Anna
I have experienced this many times and there have been some accurate
diagnosis given and also some very misleading ones.I am pretty certain that
as has already been said your flue is sooted up and needs cleaning out. Not
yours but the fridge,not the most difficult job IF you know what you are doing,HOWEVER,if you need to ask how it's done I would suggest you leave
well alone,and entrust the job to a caravan dealer/workshop,shouldn't be expensive no more than around 40-45 euros it's only 45 minutes work usually'
hope this helps:thumb:

OP
OP
Anna

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Eureka!

::bigsmile: problem solved!

Hubby found the jet was choked so blew it and all pipes clean with the compressor and the fridge is still working this morning.....ice cubes and all!

So thanks to everyone for their help. It's going to make a huge difference being able to run the fridge on the gas when we need to.

Going to be real posh as hubby has lifted the old smelly carpet and we bought some nice vinyl yesterday to lay instead (much more practical, especially with the dog and also a husband who likes to fry up his breakfast every morning lol!).

Also fitting a pedestal table to the lounge area to entertain our "Fun" friends when they pop in for aperitifs!

Anna

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
ok anna well if ya gonna let ally have a go at it go now and get a new fridge :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
btw i hope ya both well
get down to benidorm for new year we can all have a dram or 10 :Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Assuming the fridge is level to within 3 degrees then the problem is most likely to be a dirty burner and sooted up flue. Gas fridges should be serviced annually, more frequently if frequently used on gas. Once the burner gets dirty it causes incomplete combustion which produces soot which then builds up on the inside wall of the flue tube. This soot acts as an insulator so combined with the fact that less heat is being produced by the flame even less of the heat that is produced gets absorbed into the cooling circuit and the fridge stops cooling on gas. More importantly this means that the burner is almost certainly producing very high levels of CO (Carbon Monoxide), if this enters the living area you may well wake up dead one morning!

My advice is DO NOT try to run it on gas until it has been serviced and get it serviced as soon as possible.

D.

Clear thinking Dave
Yes if you can get it cleaned and serviced
(I dont think the upside down bit achieves a lot long term)
ours was serviced by an approved engineer locally for £80
along with a couple of other bits that needed doing.(2 months ago)

Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back