new ISP (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
can anyone explain whats involved changing service providers.

i dont mean signing up ect but changes to email accounts, internet banking, paypal, bill payment ect and anyone else that needs my email address.

is it a big job or what.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi John, you made the list so you alone know how big a job it is. Make a detailed list before switching, on paper with web addresses. Removing AOL could be a big job,:Sad::Sad: get some advice, I have known it to require a complete system reinstallation, but not always, playbyte could probably offer more detailed advice on that side of things. Either way back everything up including your favourites, email addresses etc to CD, dvd or exterior drive. So you don't lose anything important in event of problems. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
No need to change your email address's, I was on B*****y BT and changed back to AOL 2 years ago and my old BT email accounts are still there and active.

I use Hotmail, don't bother with AOL email addys or BT and dont even use AOL at all, not even to log onto internet, go straight to IE.

Regards

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
If you use a non-ISP e-mail address for the bulk of your communication - you keep it no matter how many times you change your ISP - simple as that -
don't understand why people I know who have changed ISP a few times still go down the road of using the tied e-mail only.

using aol is messy and turning it off is generally worse -it clings to life -
try a partial migration to a new e-mail address before changing ISP - run in tandem - and give your contacts a deadline for final switchover

I would also suggest you give Mozilla Firefox a try

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1. None of your internet banking, paypal or any other website related activities will be affected.
2. Email may be a bit more of a problem if you've used the email account provided by the current service provider. Let us have a bit more info and we can advise.
3. Migration. Ideally you'll want a MAC code from your existing ISP. You give this to your new ISP and the changeover takes a couple of hours. Without it, your existing ISP has to be cancelled. Only when that's done can the new agreement be put in place. This can take a couple of weeks.
4. You may well get a new router supplied with the new agreement. If so, it'll come with full info on setting it up. If not, you'll need to put all of the settings into your existing modem or router.
Despite all of this it's not too complicated at all. There's a number of us who do this sort of thing for a living. Keep us posted and we'll help you through it.

Regards
Doug

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
I changed from the robbing barstewards at BT to talk talk no problems at all. Changeover only took a couple of hours. Never needed to use the new talk talk equipment they sent me the old worked fine.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
1. None of your internet banking, paypal or any other website related activities will be affected.
2. Email may be a bit more of a problem if you've used the email account provided by the current service provider. Let us have a bit more info and we can advise.
3. Migration. Ideally you'll want a MAC code from your existing ISP. You give this to your new ISP and the changeover takes a couple of hours. Without it, your existing ISP has to be cancelled. Only when that's done can the new agreement be put in place. This can take a couple of weeks.
4. You may well get a new router supplied with the new agreement. If so, it'll come with full info on setting it up. If not, you'll need to put all of the settings into your existing modem or router.
Despite all of this it's not too complicated at all. There's a number of us who do this sort of thing for a living. Keep us posted and we'll help you through it.

Regards
Doug

cheers doug,
yes, i use aol for my email but i have my own domain which tranfers any emails sent to it to aol.

is this the info you need. john.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
cheers doug,
yes, i use aol for my email but i have my own domain which tranfers any emails sent to it to aol.

is this the info you need. john.

Hi Pappa,
Are you dumping AOL? If so, you'll need to change your email client to whatever you're going to be using instead.

Cheers
Doug

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
can any one help with this one please.
when i am on a site and want to email /contact them a box comes from windows
for me to fill in and asking for my isp .how do you find out you isp .
sorry to sound thick ..:ROFLMAO:

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Changing ISP

I would sugest you get your new Email account set-up before you cancel your AOL. just set up a hotmail/MSN account; bet you could even get (pappajohn@hotmail.co.uk). this will not tie you to any ISP and you can acces all your mail from any pc anywhere in the world.

All your bill paying, banking and anyone else that has your email will need to be informed that you have changed, AOL will give you about a month in which time you can still access your AOL emails. the problem you have is your favorates on aol, you can't transfer them.

before you leave AOL you would just type a message telling everyone " please add this new email address to your address book as my old one is no longer in use" then type your new addrees in case someone doesn't know how to just click on the add to address book button.

Anything else you want a hand with, i will help! i will set up your new Email account for you and PM you the details!

Patrick (Conone)

can anyone explain whats involved changing service providers.

i dont mean signing up ect but changes to email accounts, internet banking, paypal, bill payment ect and anyone else that needs my email address.

is it a big job or what.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back