Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
We own a Hymer b544, 2003 production. It's a LHD which was just what we were after as soon we are planning to spend a fair amount of time in Europe.
This vehicle though has it's headlights set for RHD.
We thought beam benders would be the answer to this but after making the mistake of buying some we discovered that they won't work on our light set up.
I have checked out Amazon and e-bay sites but I can't find any Eurolites that work on this particular layout ; everything is for RHD with RHD lights or LHD with LHD lights.
We never imagined this light set up would be a problem, but appears it is and we are now thinking that the best way around this would be to have the lights reset to LHD and then use beam benders when we are back in this country.
Any advice would be welcome. We are planning to travel through France, Spain and into Portugal early December time. We are busy getting everything sorted out and although an unexpected problem on what is otherwise a great motorhome we will get it sorted. We certainly don't want to get pulled over for something illegal on the van.

Kind regards

Debbie and John

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Sorry, but I don't understand.

You have LHD lights 'set' to RHD? How? Have your lights been moved somehow in their fittings?

If the above is correct, then I'd have thought your 'reset' option seems the most prudent. Then go for the beam benders as per normal.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
If you reset your lights to LHD you would have to have them reset once again to RHD for the vehicle to pass MOT, also I think it would be illegal to have beam benders fitted if your vehicle is UK licensed and was being used here in the UK, of course I could be totally wrong on both counts. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
If you have up & down adjustment-set them further down.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
also I think it would be illegal to have beam benders fitted if your vehicle is UK licensed and was being used here in the UK, of course I could be totally wrong on both counts. :Eeek:

No I dont think it is..
On my previous van I went for MOT and rushed out before they started as I realised I had left the stick on beam bender things.. Not a problem said the tester..
It passed 3 MOT's in total and the benders were never taken off..

Remember you have all these trucks coming over from the continent, I bet none of them have ever adjusted their headlight or got fined.. :Doh:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
We own a Hymer b544, 2003 production. It's a LHD which was just what we were after as soon we are planning to spend a fair amount of time in Europe.
We thought beam benders would be the answer to this but after making the mistake of buying some we discovered that they won't work on our light set up.
I have checked out Amazon and e-bay sites but I can't find any Eurolites that work on this particular layout ; everything is for RHD with RHD lights or LHD with LHD lights.
We never imagined this light set up would be a problem, but appears it is and we are now thinking that the best way around this would be to have the lights reset to LHD and then use beam benders when we are back in this country.
Any advice would be welcome. We are planning to travel through France, Spain and into Portugal early December time. We are busy getting everything sorted out and although an unexpected problem on what is otherwise a great motorhome we will get it sorted. We certainly don't want to get pulled over for something illegal on the van.

Kind regards

Debbie and John

Hi look on here

http://www.hymerclub.co.uk/hcitips.htm

or join Hymer club club

The HCI was formed in 1990 and any Hymer owner can join.
Our Club is open to all Hymer motorhome owners, we have members throughout the UK and Europe.
A regular newsletter keeps everyone in touch and has technical hints and advice.
We are a friendly Club for people with similar interests and you are welcome to join us.

The Constitution and Rules of the HCI can be seen here.

To apply for membership please print the application form here
and submit with the appropriate subscription to:

Membership Secretary
Hymer Club International
PO Box 83
Callington
PL17 0AD
England

http://www.hymerclub.co.uk

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
This is from the MOT testers manual:
Masks or converter kits may be fitted to right hand dip headlamps to temporarily alter the lamp for use in the UK by removing the beam ‘kick-up’ to the right
A headlamp altered in this way is not a reason for rejection, if:
a.
the headlamp aim is not rejected for the reasons listed under diagram 1 (except that the top of the beam image will be a straight line)

b.
the light output is not unduly reduced - not usually a problem with commercially produced kits

c.
the mask or converter is securely attached.

The original is here: Link Removed

I hope that helps.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Debbie & John,

It's normally a bloody knuckle and skin grafting job to get to the back of these lights to adjust the beams, by locating 3 x cross head screws at the rear of each lamp. Invariably the screw heads become rounded off. :Sad:
Peter Hambilton of Friendly Hippo fame, can do a modification, which allows the beams to be altered, just by reaching in and rotating each lamp by a few degrees right or left, as required. I do it every time we cross the channel and back again.

Using the remote height adjustment control from the cab, to lower the beams is fine, however, the bellows are known to perish over time, thereby knocking that idea on the head. :Sad:

HTH,

Jock.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

Kind regards

Debbie and John

My understanding is that the lights on this model have a (DIY) mechanical adjustment at the back of each fitting. I have never done this, but it seems that a couple of screws are loosened, the fitting revolved for either RHD or LHD, and then the screws re-tightened.
Will attempt to get a bit more detailed info, possibly from the HCI.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
My understanding is that the lights on this model have a (DIY) mechanical adjustment at the back of each fitting. I have never done this, but it seems that a couple of screws are loosened, the fitting revolved for either RHD or LHD, and then the screws re-tightened.
Will attempt to get a bit more detailed info, possibly from the HCI.

Any Use? (Copy from HCI Forum)

, A few years ago when having a service done by Hymer UK I
mentioned the headlight beam angle. They printed off a copy of a
diagram showing a rear view of the headlight cluster. If my memory
serves we right on the back of the head light are two cross- head
screws that when released allows the headlight to be turned to adjust
the beam angle. The screws are then tightened. The problem is
there's not too much room behind the light to get at the two screws
and you'll most likely require a mirror to see what your doing. If
you should accidently unscrew a screw too far and it comes right out
you may have a problem getting it back in - hence my suggestion to you
to contact Essayanjay in Poole. However, I suppose if you take the
lights out you could do the mods yourself. I believe they replace the
two screws either side with something more user friendly that
protrudes out of the back of the lights that allows you to undo/
tighten them by hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

debdabble

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
Thanks for your replies. I have to admit it seems a strange headlight set-up. We have always avoided driving anywhere in the dark as we assumed they were set LHD and we didn't want to dazzle anyone as we hadn't purchased any beam benders until recently. It was only when we asked a local garage who were familiar with motorhomes to advise us on the positioning of the beam benders whilst we were having a full service done on it we discovered the lights were set to RHD.
He did say that if we had LHD lights and used beam benders in this country he would pass it at MOT. He also warned us we would not want to be pulled over in Europe for something like this as they can be very tough on offenders.

Thanks again

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Beam benders only block the light going up and to the left of beam, the part that is used to illuminate pedestrians and road signs on your left!
Park in front of a garage at night with your headlights on. You should see a flat line with an angle up on the left, bright below, dark above a bit like this........... \___ \___ .You need to mask the bit on the left that goes up. Experiment with a square of paper, moving it over the beam till the bright part to the left goes. This is where you stick your beam benders, or black tape, or piece of gaffa tape
Try a search on google ( other inferior search engines are available) and you should get some diagrams and a better description of what to do
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back