Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
What do you use to keep your waste pipes clear as the w/pipes on my flipup bathroom sink is blocked and Im unable to get at it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've been using Buster Kitchen Sink Fresh for a while but noticed that they have changed the range. They now have two Link Removed, one gel and one granule.

I should think the granule one is closest but haven't tried it as I still have a couple of bottles off the previous stuff. Before I do, though, I'm going to compare the ingredients to one of those oxy type washing powders because I think the base is pretty similar.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Use an old fashioned plunger, always keep one in the van, works everytime.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Use an old fashioned plunger, always keep one in the van, works everytime.

It wont work with a tip up sink because there is not a plug hole. The water tips into a trough at the rear of sink... waste pipe is connected to trough.BUSBY:Smile:

OP
OP
P

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Thanks for the replies, the Buster Unblocker looks like the thing that I need ,but Im worried that it may damage the plastic in the truough.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for the replies, the Buster Unblocker looks like the thing that I need ,but Im worried that it may damage the plastic in the truough.

I used the Sink Fresh after seeing a trial report in a magazine but I've always been wary of using the Unblocker for the same reason. If the Sanitiser won't work then maybe something from Fenwicks range will do it. It might even be worth having a go with cheap cola because that is supposed to work.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as most of the pipes are of a plastic carefull with any type of cleaner that can eat your pipes.... if you do a good flushing is in order:winky:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pipes

What are they getting blocked up with? Can you prevent it? For example a "hair catcher" on the shower sink plug hole?

Russell

OP
OP
P

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Just been out to the van with a length of plastic coated garden wire and threaded it down the trough and into the pipe, the water then went down. then poured a can of coke down there. I will also carry on looking for a safe product to use.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have used Elsan Grey Water Tank Fresh for 3 yrs now-it has removed a black film from the inside of the grey tank and,if a sink starts to empty slowly then some sloshed down the plug hole has sorted it every time.
Mike

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have also used grey water tank fresh, but mostly just put milton or similar down and have never had a problem. Every time we drain the tank we put some down and it also keeps the tank sweet smelling!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
soap scum is the biggest culprit in convoluted pipes, followed by hair which sticks to the soap.

a kettle of just boiled water down the plughole, or in this case the trough, every couple of weeks should clear any soap scum

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
be VERY careful with boiling water in the plastic trough and plastic pipes. ive seen a caravan sink split when a kettle of boiling water was poured in. also the convoluted pip is normally just sush fit with a rubber gromet. these pop apart if theres a blockage and the hot water softens the joint

as for milton, its just hydrogen peroxide bleach really diluted. dont leave in contact with stainless steel sinks or chromed plugholes as it will burn through. thats why you never use it to sterilise water systems containing a truma boiler (use white vinegar instead)

the best thing to use is a bio type cleaner and warm water. coke will shift a mild blockage but no hope if the whole pipe is full of soap and crud. the only real solution is stripping out the pipe and either cleaning or replacing with smooth bore pipes. be aware though the soap scum and hair etc really stinks

we put a cupful of cheap bio washing liquid down the sinks each month to prevent buildup and nasty smells

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You could try using liquid soap instead of bars much less scum...maybe a bit more expensive but much easier to keep the sink/shower clean etc Husband doesnt leave much hair either! :RollEyes:

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
What do you use to keep your waste pipes clear as the w/pipes on my flipup bathroom sink is blocked and Im unable to get at it.

Pour bicarbonate of soda into the part where the water drains then add some ordinary vinegar and stand by for a reaction!!, :Eeek: After a few minutes pour fairly hot (not boiling water) down the hole. I do this every few weeks and have never had any probs with slow running waste pipes.

OP
OP
P

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Thanks for all the replies : I recently had a leak on my Truma boiler ,which was a hole on the internal tank,I wonder if this is due to my use of Milton.The pipes and tank also get a regular dose of liquid washing soap and we are very careful not to allow any solids to go down any of the plug holes.When I first got my van I had trouble with the sink waste water running away,which was cured buy rerouting the pipe which was routed to go up after the plughole. Im wondering if the blockage that Ive had on the flipup sink in the bathroom is also cause by the same thing, ie bad routing. As for replacing the pipe, this is a big job, the connection to the sink trough is totally inaccessible. I will get there in the end ,with a little help from my friends.

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
i keep a bottle of aldi clothes wash liquid in our MH and every time we go away i will squeeze it down aLL 3 plug holes then pour several kettles of not quite boiling water down each one.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
waste pipe

Thanks for all the replies : I recently had a leak on my Truma boiler ,which was a hole on the internal tank,I wonder if this is due to my use of Milton.The pipes and tank also get a regular dose of liquid washing soap and we are very careful not to allow any solids to go down any of the plug holes.When I first got my van I had trouble with the sink waste water running away,which was cured buy rerouting the pipe which was routed to go up after the plughole. Im wondering if the blockage that Ive had on the flipup sink in the bathroom is also cause by the same thing, ie bad routing. As for replacing the pipe, this is a big job, the connection to the sink trough is totally inaccessible. I will get there in the end ,with a little help from my friends.

Taking a leak on your Trauma boiler seems a little extreme; and ours is in a low level cupboard under the wardrobe, so you'd have to be a limbo dancer to pull that one off :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back