Laptop charger problem Help please (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

Gotta bit of a problem with laptop charging problem is I have a universal charger/adapter that should, when plugged into the 12v, charge the laptop battery and allow me to use it off hookup but after about 5 minutes the fuse blows in the adapter.
I have used 3 different adapters and the same thing happens every time. I have used the mains charger in an RAC 350w inverter and plugged that into the 12v but it makes a loud screaming noise, the fault light doesn't come on but it does still charge the laptop battery. Though I can't stand the screaming noise.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Gary

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the universal charger is pulling too much current to supply the laptop's needs. make sure its capable of supplying at least as much power as the genuine charger. also make sure the socket and its wiring is capable of supplying the current needed and the voltage is not dropping due to length of wire run. the inverter is not working properly if its screaming. may be low voltage getting too it. best wired direct to battery not plugged into a socket as these are only low current rated and voltage drops the longer the run of wire.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I would buy the proper manufacturer's replacement charger.
They are not normally that expensive.

It should be rated accordingly to do the job.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Do you know how many amps your laptop pulls when charging?

It should say the voltage and amps on the original charger.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Also, be very careful with inverters. Unless its a very expensive model, chances are its not pure sine wave, which will then run a conflict between itself and the charge adaptor. I saw a charger catch fire on a boat once for the very same reason. Same with certain cheap generators.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Before I added a second battery and solar panel I had similar issues with my inverter, but by starting the engine the problem went, so either charge while on the move or run your engine while charging, I found that after a few minutes top up from the engine the inverter worked anyway. Clearly a low voltage issue in my case, possibly a combination of laptop very low and MH battery a bit low

I hope this helps a bit if you are stuck, although technical comment above makes best sense long term

David

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
IMO TheBig1 had it 100% correct and explained it perfectly...
Laptops can pull a lot of current...
JJ :Cool:

An emergency work-around is plug in to charge but don't turn on. They eat far less just charging.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back