I was asked...... The Question... (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
By an ex RV`er......... what I thought of down sizing to a good sized Eurovan...

Well after 30 nights away in nearly 3 months..... and not worrying what is going to go wrong and returns to the dealer to have problems sorted, and done nearly as many miles as we did the short time we owned our last RV... I did miss the space of having a slide...

But we have now got over the internal size... issue..

And what we have we are able to just jump in it and go any where without forward planning..

We have been to sites that I would never have dreamed of taking an RV... And we have been to sites that would not take us when we had an RV. ie Lychet Matravers (Superb site).. just to name one.... some of the sites in North Wales we have been to, would have been a logistical night mare to get too, and in the most beautiful surroundings...

With what we have we have a terrific payload and a good trailer/car towing capacity to keep me within the law, and not worry about being over weight..

Other than the usual stuff associated with a full yank RV, ie Black Tote trolly, Macerator, 3" hoses etc, etc... we have the space for all we used to carry and some... Our garage and belly lockers are ample for our needs....

Some will argue that forward planning is not an issue..... I beg to differ.. been there done that... and planning as to will the site be able to take us... will there be a designated Black/Grey dump...

To summarise yes we did do the right thing... Yes we did miss the space of an RV with a superslide.. No we don't miss all the hastle of when things go wrong.. (And we had plenty of those )

Out of all the Yank RV`s and 5th wheels we had we never owned a diesel,,, they were all Petrol/LPG..... and unless you have large tanks, can be a problem getting LPG, when you need it...

No doubt some will come on and praise the big stuff up to the hilt... and pull my findings too pieces.. :RollEyes:

But I was asked a simple question.. what were my thoughts, and that is what I gave... And now I have a vehicle that I can go anywhere, and use it for the purpose it was intended.....

To go touring with and see other places and not the same old venue`s... :thumb:

Not meant to offend anybody or pick holes in RV`s... but just the way we have found things in a few short months...

"Happy" Mo, in his "Ice Cream Cart"..... ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
good write-up Mo :thumb:

Thanks, John...

Only written as we have found... Judy has just said it is so much more cosy and warm...

Another plus don't use any where near as much gas to keep it warm.... and "NO" bloody furnace roaring away... :RollEyes::winky:

Good Luck with the sale of your`s... Looks lovely.... :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the post.

Would I be right in saying there is nothing you can do in an RV that you can't do in your current van but there is much more you CAN do in your motorhome that you couldn't have done in your RV?

RV = more space... and that's all.

Mind you, my people tell me your new motorhome is a fantastic bit of kit... :winky: :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Mo ...
Nice summary... Before I bought my RV ( a 29' "B" Class with 7,500 miles on the clock) we looked at "A" Classes and several Euros. We loved the size and space of "A" Classes and particularly loved the idea of Monacos and Revolutions. Having had a camper before we knew that we wanted a fixed bed and we found the cost of the "B" was at least half the cost of a similar sized Euro's with fixed beds. We also get 2 slide outs, one for the living and one for the bedroom. We can either use these out and have great space, or in if e.g. a restricted area such as an Aire. We have the usual RV luxuries such as full blown heating and air con, electric and gas water heating. My van is Diesel (deliberately chosen for economy and plentiful supply, having had an LPG powered camper before and stressing over where the next gas pump was) so none of the MPG or LPG issues that exist with either petrol or gas. There is also the licence issue - yes the "B" is over 3500 kg but is well less that 7500kg so I can drive on a C1+E licence and my payload with full water and full fuel is over 800kg. The van is classed as a PHGV for road tax purposes which costs £165 pa. All vans are a compromise - I still love the idea of a big "A" but with all of the practicalities of the "B" this suits us just fine ... for now !! However cant and wont argue with your thinking as what you have now suits you for where you are and I have read your previous posts re the problems you had with your RV. In some 4000 miles this year so far have had none. Cheers Rob

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
By an ex RV`er......... what I thought of down sizing to a good sized Eurovan...

Well after 30 nights away in nearly 3 months..... and not worrying what is going to go wrong and returns to the dealer to have problems sorted, and done nearly as many miles as we did the short time we owned our last RV... I did miss the space of having a slide...

To go touring with and see other places and not the same old venue`s... :thumb:

Not meant to offend anybody or pick holes in RV`s... but just the way we have found things in a few short months...

"Happy" Mo, in his [HI]"Ice Cream Cart"[/HI]..... ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Good report Mo, just one question...........

Could I have a Choc-Ice please?
:winky:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks for the post.

Would I be right in saying there is nothing you can do in an RV that you can't do in your current van but there is much more you CAN do in your motorhome that you couldn't have done in your RV?

RV = more space... and that's all.

Mind you, my people tell me your new motorhome is a fantastic bit of kit... :winky: :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Spot on, JJ...:thumb:

I still love Big RV`s.... but in this country and abroad,,,, you are limited... :Sad:

PS.......... Your people are right...

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Really pleased you are all happy but may I say to those who havn't been in Mo's van ....... it is BEAUTIFUL and like a luxury flat inside .... I would love to own one like that.

Well done you three for making the right decision.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back