Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You buy an English MH, it has an oven, a grill, and possibly even a microwave. This Hymer has nowt but a couple of gas rings. Do Germans just live on boiled eggs and beans? (would explain a lot).
Right, must get a microwave. But where do I put it??? No workspace left if I fix it next to the hobs, no cupboard big enough, except the one over the wardrobe, not a brill idea. Even the very small mike's are too big, and eating out every day is really not on, so...........Ideas???

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you bought it . not a wise decision .
they cook outside on other things many carry a seperate oven etc . the germans just dont make good conversions . never have . make nice vehicles but crap conversions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
they cook outside on other things many carry a seperate oven etc . the germans just dont make good conversions . never have . make nice vehicles but crap conversions.

A decision I'm happy with. Just asked for advice. Not a lifechanging event having to eat cold pies. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
It's not just the Germans , most continental manufacturer's don't put a grill or oven or more than 3 rings, I think they either cook al fresco or go out for there main meal, We have a Pilote with 3 rings & a very small grill/oven not ideal , but then again we try (weather permitting) to cook on the bar-b-que. I think you can still get a similar small oven/grill as friends of ours just bought a new Burstner which like your Hymer didn't have either but it was installed as an extra.
:sin:Terry:sin:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
German motorhome here - and didn't have an oven or grill. I've now put one in, (last month) sacrificing a cupboard to do so.

I've had the van for nearly a year now, so did all my cooking on the hob. And no I didn't live on eggs and beans! ::bigsmile: I think it's a mind shift that you need - stews, soups, (pizza is out, as is toast!) oh and boiled eggs and beans!

Enjoy your van - think sidewards and stick your recipes up in the food section. I'll watch with interest.:winky:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the Germans would like a deep fat frier for all the different sausages and meats they eat...bratwurst, nokwurst, frickendaal, HAMBURGers :winky: .but the oil would spill on corners

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
couldnt think of anything else to say.
sorry about that.
i could imagine two fraybentos hooked over their heads . ha ha .
could be a good one for a jj meat. ha ha .

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats cos you dont actually live in the van for along time .
after a few months you start to miss things .
specially fray bentos .
or pies and pasties . and a proper roast .
or if miles from anywhere fresh baked bread .
here we have xmas morning ,nice fresh mince pies and honey roast gammon for dinner in maroc . mmm
cant do that in a double skillet .

Attachments

• Maroc05 002.jpg
    Maroc05 002.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Maroc05 005.jpg
    Maroc05 005.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Our German van has an oven & grill which we never use and a three ring hob which we use all the time. Who needs a microwave (or oven & grill) when you have a Double Skillet? :thumb:

Our Hobby has 3 gas rings so we bought a Halogen oven for when we are on a site. We also have a trusty Cadac and a pizza pan. We only used the oven occasionally and it was a compromise we made to have a great motorhome.

This double skillet sounds different is that the one demonstrated at the shows?

Ginny

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
thats cos you dont actually live in the van for along time .
after a few months you start to miss things .
specially fray bentos .
or pies and pasties . and a proper roast .
or if miles from anywhere fresh baked bread .
here we have xmas morning ,nice fresh mince pies and honey roast gammon for dinner in maroc . mmm
cant do that in a double skillet .

Yes yes, BUT, you dont have a chippy in Maroc! What the hell would living be like without a good old chipoil??
Shudder to think.......:winky:

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
You can get a hob toaster!!

Enjoy your van - think sidewards and stick your recipes up in the food section. I'll watch with interest.

You can do a he'll of a lot on a hob, most camping shops sell toasters for gas hobs, there is a book of pan cooked chicken dishes to be found in loads of charity shops. We have a UK built van and had a microwave!/grill combi in place of the oven.

My vote is with the "mind shift", you won't starve.:thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Yes yes, BUT, you dont have a chippy in Maroc! What the hell would living be like without a good old chipoil??
Shudder to think.......:winky:

i can fry my own . i do cook chips in a wok then tip the oil back into the bottle . i,m famous for fish n chips and mushy peas . fray bentios and chips . bacon sarnies . cornish pasty,s .
chedder cheese and ploughmans pickle .
i was a chef in the army so cooking things is right up my street . we make icecream in the desert . etc .
we do have some luxury . cant go away for 6 months and only eat local stuff .
cant beat egg n bacon sarnies after a nine o,clock swim or surf in a morning . or a nice ice lolly sat in the desert.
sorry you will have to get out more .hee hee .
we do actually sometimes cook bread over night buried under the camp fire remains . you move the fire then bury the bread tin with stones on it then put thefire back on top.
you laugh if you use a big washed out dog food tin it comes out looking like a milk loaf .
mind maroc flat bread is great . hobbz rule for sure .innshallah

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
What is it with this 'I'm an OAP and I must have my Sunday Roast' mentality?
Motorhome reviews in British magazines slate any van without an oven you can't fit a 30lb Christmas turkey in!
We rarely use our oven, they're no good for curry, rice and pasta dishes! Not to mention, ovens need loads of gas to cook the smallest things.

There's a whole world of food out there, broaden your horizons you boring gits!:roflmto:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Hobby has 3 gas rings so we bought a Halogen oven for when we are on a site. We also have a trusty Cadac and a pizza pan. We only used the oven occasionally and it was a compromise we made to have a great motorhome.

[HI]This double skillet sounds different is that the one demonstrated at the shows?
[/HI]
Ginny

Yes, brilliant. Lovely roast dinners :Smile:

Upvote 0

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Use the old favourite - the double skillet. It's as good as three hobs with a bit of thought. Wil certainly warm up your pies and you can do oven chips in the bottom. Stick a small bowl of peas next to the pies and you've a complete meal. Might get a bit boring after three weeks though!

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We were lucky, in that the first owner of our imported Hymer, specced it right up, which included the Smev oven with rotisserie, but because it is a German spec oven and grill, it is rubbish at making toast. In comes the little Gelert fold away gas ring toaster. They are brilliant. :thumb:

We too have the skillet pans, from our old caravanning days. They are excellent for hob cooking.

Cheers,

Jock & Rita. :Smile:

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our German van had an oven grill and 4 rings, never used the oven much. ::bigsmile:

:winky: Lived on sausage and cheese just like a German. :ROFLMAO:

Our little Rapido van does not have a oven, so its all garlic and onions for us. :Eeek::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When I imported the RMB from Germany the only thing it did not have was an oven. It has a microwave that runs from the inbuilt inverter and a ceramic hob. As I did not want to lose a cupboard when fitting an oven I put one in the garage with a two ring hob, attached to its own gas bottle. This is the perfect solution for us as I can put the chip pan on or the pressure cooker without filling the van with steam. We could not manage without the oven as we spend a lot of time off site and bake our own bread. I got the Kampa Roastmaster from Johns Cross with funster discount and apart from the three way fridge that also lives in the garage to keep my beer cold is one of the most useful things I have ever bought for the van. We do more cooking on the Kampa oven than we do in the van.

Attachments

• Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Don't Germans eat food?

Get a Remoska. They're great:thumb:. When on hook up we use it instead of the oven if we want to save gas.
Use it at home too,roast chicken comes out a treat.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Well I did wonder. Not for the reasons in the original post but when I went down the mosel, plenty of grapes growing - no food, no cattle. Then I was running low on food & walked around a couple of towns - no shops selling food:Sad:. In the end I had to look on the GPS to find food, which was Lidl well out of town.:roflmto:

Upvote 0

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!

Not so ...just look at a nice Knaus.Does have everything you need!:thumb:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not so sure on that looks like any other poorly built plastic fantastic . hee hee ,
only joking . but trucks rule for me . if i was going for a rigid it would be a 7.5 ton truck i,m sure . then self build . a mitsubishi fuso or may be isuzu possibly iveco daily .
definately the way forward i think . but i like what i have . soon will have had the trailer 14yrs so i must be happy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back