Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
saffron walden
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
As the title suggests im an inspector.But before you all start worrying not of the law type more the quality control.

Im a 45 year old Essex boy born and bread,and just starting on hopefully my journey into vans and all that goes with them.

Anyway havnt ever owned a van,dont recall ever stepping inside one (but my memory isnt great) Always thinking of what to do for the next holiday and always remember camping with the cubs and scouts and thinking how nice the space is and how different it was to the commercial campsites we now visit (haven etc)

I have a young daughter (8yo) that im sure would love the camping type holiday but myself and the better half certainly dont want to camp so thoughts go towards a van.I have to holiday in school holiday time so i get ripped off by the commercial sites and sometimes the caravans leave a lot to be desired when it comes to condition.Having your own accommodation is certainly very appealing as well as the freedom and fun it could well lead to.

Thankfully after much googling i found this site which after much reading today certainly seems the place to be.

My situation is i have been looking at old (ish) vans around the ,now please dont laugh 2-3k mark.I can pay for this outright but if finance was available i could go to more expense.
So im sure i will be posting some questions as im after all the advise i can get.
Im looking at a van that can have a toilet for sure a shower would be a bonus and it needs to sleep 3.

I will leave that there as most will now be board reading this and i dont want to put people off before i have started.Many thanks to any and all that read this and who knows perhaps we will meet one day.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi and welcome.. not sure you'd get much for a couple £k maybe an elderly day van or you might just get lucky.

at that spend how about a caravan ... assuming you have the car to tow it :thumb:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hello and welcome rogsmith to the site, look forward to your posts and enjoy being a member, also join up for £10 and become a fully subscribed member and it will be the best £10 you will ever spend, as there is a wealth of information on here probably the best in the UK, I dont think you will get any motorhome for £2/3K that will be any good anyway, but good luck in your search, you never know your luck but once you buy you may be stuck with it so chose wisely and look out for any leaks and damp all over the inside and mechanically as well. may be better to save up for a bit and try and get something a bit better but best of luck, ask as many questions on here as you like as we all started somewhere ok Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

rogsmith

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
saffron walden
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Hello mate,yeah perhaps i should have upped that amount by a k either side.I know thats still not huge but you never know.Having looked on ebay there are a fair few around that mark.

Having said that after reading a lot on this site today ebay may be somewhere to avoid.

Yeah i have a car but it wouldnt tow a bike let alone a van and to be honest i really dont fancy that.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Hullo and welcome.

I am the owner of an older motorhome (1991) coachbuilt and as others have said, damp is the main problem. Up your price by a couple of K and you could well find yourself a nice little van that would do the three of you.

Good luck with your search! :)

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
One thing be very careful on ebay as there are many scams on there seemingly good mhs at very cheap prices, so please be extra careful on ebay, always look at mh first check it over then pays your money, and always get a full hpi check as well as many mhs again are still on finance and you don't wont to be stuck ok. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Be very carefull trying to buy a cheap van at that price, good ones dont excist and dont strap yourself up with lots of finance.

Salesmen and dealers at the low end of the market love finance as it earns them lots of money

Good luck

Peter

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Be very carefull trying to buy a cheap van at that price, good ones dont excist and dont strap yourself up with lots of finance.

Salesmen and dealers at the low end of the market love finance as it earns them lots of money

Good luck

Peter

Very good advice and this is from a dealer,,, although 1 of our MHF members as well and well respected dealer, never know mate give him a call and he might get one for you through the trade so to speak as many people trade in old stuff for more up to date models, cant go wrong with a quick call huh, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Welcome, Young Rog. ::bigsmile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Some of the oldies are goodies, it depends what you are satisfied with, the old Talbot engined M/H are solid, that wavey wavey gear stick, is it, aint it, knuckle crunching YES THATS IT!!!:thumb: Gear change, no power steering, but Solid build, real wood, using an engine that you could go anywhere! All part of the fun.
Don't think you'll get a 90s maybe an 85-89 for you money, but hey ho it's all part of the fun of owning a M/H, and you can always add the Various nick nacks to make your van the way you want it to be.

Anyway Rog, Welcome to fun:thumb: You'll find there is a lack of seriousness here, a quirky sense of humour, that is unique, and of course the usual "rant " now and again, not to be taken seriously, and if you start a thread? don't be surprised if it wanders off into the wild blue yonder:RollEyes:

OP
OP
R

rogsmith

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
saffron walden
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
flatpackchicken,thats a word i never imagined typing.Im fully paid up mate.

Thanks to all so far for your replies,most as i imagined to be honest.Any of you wanting to upgrade to a new van (im sure you want to) then give me a shout i have the readies waiting all 2k of them.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
another option for you is a self build of course.
It depends how handy you are at DIY and mechanics

OP
OP
R

rogsmith

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
saffron walden
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
wildman is that a viable option.

Im not great mechanically (i do have a few good friends that are though) but ok diy etc.I certainly wouldnt be opposed to that idea but i have imagined it to cost a lot more than a already built van.Also the fact of spiralling costs but i suppose i would have that anyway.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
flatpackchicken,thats a word i never imagined typing.Im fully paid up mate.

Thanks to all so far for your replies,most as i imagined to be honest.Any of you wanting to upgrade to a new van (im sure you want to) then give me a shout i have the readies waiting all 2k of them.

Good to see you are a subscriber now nice one mate and welcome to the fold, and you wont forget my name in a hurry lol, don't forget ask any question you want and I would expect you will have thousands of them being a newbee, don't matter how stupid you think the question is it will be very important to you. Regards Garry flatpackchicken

OP
OP
R

rogsmith

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
saffron walden
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
flatpackchicken,thanks mate.I have one question for you now please dont tell me this is a daft question.

Is that you looking out of your van in your avatar because if it is what you doing tomorrow night.....

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
flatpackchicken,thanks mate.I have one question for you now please dont tell me this is a daft question.

Is that you looking out of your van in your avatar because if it is what you doing tomorrow night.....

Ha ha don't you wish mate, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi & Welcome Rogsmith, Many years ago back in 1979 I attempted to build my own , bought an old commer mini bus ripped out the seats and fittings , paid to have a high top fitted then used bits from an old caravan which had been scapped , wife made some curtains & covered foam cushions, Did us proud for a few years ,now 8 vans further on still enjoying the hobby. Photo of old commer in my photo albums
:sin: Terry:sin:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
damp meter was the best investment i ever made
well if you are good with your hand and i mean good you can pick up sum not bad van
and work on it use it and have fun
no1 priority no damp (damp meter)
no2 full year MOT
no 5 blown are heating a must
no 4 runs OK under 80k with sum service history
no4 if you spot any thing ether on eBay or where ever go look at it first before biding or parting with your money
old hymers are good old dethffes are good
and good luck

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, welcome to fun, our daughter went through this, in the end she got a hi top transit minibus that already had black windows, took the seats out and converted it herself. ::bigsmile:
Sold the seats and got most of the stuff of ebay. :thumb:

She goes off weekends with her dog and has a great time, the same as she would if she spent mega bucks. :whatthe::ROFLMAO: Bob.

:flyingwelcome:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
sorry i forgot to say welcome:welcome: to the fun now pay your tenner you have had your moneys worth:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
and by the way well worth every penny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back