Travel Insurance - urgent - help needed please!!! (1 Viewer)

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We are due to get the ferry to Bilbao on Sunday - :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Been trying to get Travel Insurance ( health not van or breakdown) but to no avail!

We usually use Insure&Go but not this year ... oh no..... I'm too old to be insured for a long term single trip! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I've tried many others on-line and no-one will insure us for 210 days.
One place would insure us for 150 days at £970 :Eeek:

Are there any Funsters out there who are 66 or over and get long term insurance cover? If so - who with?

Looking forward to all your wisdom :winky::winky:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi dont know if it would help you we are insured with the RBS with our royalties account and like you my parents holiday insurance went through the roof when they reach pension age, they took a royalties account which cost £13 a month this gives you loads of extras and includes free travel insurance including sports. Im sure my mum had to pay an extra £20 due to a medical condition. so in total just under £200 but they now have boiler insurance lost key insurance and AA breakdown recovery included as-well as many others deals.

Might be worth a try im sure a few banks do the same.

Deleted User
I have seen some form of backpacking insurance recommended for this situation but can't find a link but age may still be a problem.

I presume you have had long term insurance in the past but have you given much thought to whether it is really essential, especially if it is costing significantly more.

Our circumstances may be different in that we don't have bricks and mortar in the UK (or anywhere else) but are still UK residents (domiciled?). Since 2008 we have spent 10 months each year out of the UK and rely on the EHIC card, not perfect but hopefully will suffice for our needs, we are similar ages by the way.

An alternative for you may be to break the trip by cheap flights back for a few days and take out an annual insurance, possibly more cost effective.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
travel insurance

Have you tried Camping & Caravan Club, they do longstay for £101 + my husband had to pay an extra £9 for high blood pressure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hey Marie travel down slowly as the weather is crap at this end of the world for the next few days

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
nt know if this is any good or not but just checked this site out and it gives NO upper age limit and max 94 days in any one trip although not the 210 days you need but just pop back yo UK on a plane on a cheap trip booked in advance about £50 each round trip and problem solved, Hope you find something Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

http://www.goodtogoinsurance.com/travel-insurance-over-65

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Another vote for staysure.. BUT you must have add on extension..
We have / pay for 100 days which is enough for our trips.
Standard policy is only something like 30 days.

ALSO... Something that was pointed out to me and i had not seen.. You must book a return trip..!
I used to only book 1 way ferry and get a return crossing a few days before i came back, that does not fit their rules for cover... Other insurers may be the same... Worth checking..

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2007
Chobham Surrey
Funster No
MH
CS Reisemobil Panel Van
Exp
10 years
Hi, we went with this lot insureme4.co.uk, good price all done on line.
I think they are something to do with stayshure.

see you soon XX Ray & Joan

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

wife is insured through our bank , lloyds [£149.00] all year round,too many ilneses to mention but explained all ok :thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Try Columbus - we got 6 months cover when we went to The states - also used Staysure for our trip around Scandinavia. Have you got cover with ADAC as I know they also have health insurance cover - Flatpackchicken can advise on that one as he used them for Scandinavia this year.

Nigel and Pamala

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Insurance

We had problems getting an annual policy with up to 120 days for any one trip as John is over 70. We opened a Nationwide flex account which gave free insurance for Europe but we had to pay for an upgrade to worldwide. The account costs £10 a month but with paying the excess for 150 days worldwide the cost including bank fees only worked out at the same price as we had been paying before.
It is worth having a look at their web page.
Elizabeth:thumb:

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

I just tried insureme4.co.uk which redirected me to Staysure - their longstay was looking good until I read the small print!
You have to have a return ticket!!
We haven't a clue which way we're coming back to UK so can't get a return ticket! :Sad:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

I just tried insureme4.co.uk which redirected me to Staysure - their longstay was looking good until I read the small print!
You have to have a return ticket!!
We haven't a clue which way we're coming back to UK so can't get a return ticket! :Sad:

Don't understand this, never told them when I am going or coming back, it's a yearly policy, as far as I know . £31 for year multiple trip.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just looked at policy , I can go 183 days a year up to 100 in one go, but in the book that is with it , it says I can get between 3 and 18 months in one go for from £51.99

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hi

I am under 60 so it may not help, I am insured through Flexicover for 365 days a year, it cost me £198.

Just dug my policy out, it seems to cover persons 66 and over as well

Last edited:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
My policy is through my bank with AXA. It is for a full twelve months but with 6 months max for any individual trip. I was advised that it is quite in order for me to fly back, put my feet on the ground and catch the next flight back. This would be regarded as a new trip and again could be for up to 6 months.

Just have to look out for the cheap flights. Cathryn did it from Italy for 25 euros return including all on charges.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back