Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
4 years ago I was rocked back by this £5 a night charge especially i was on a group cheap tariff that allowed my unit and 6 people to stay and use the on site facilities

Link Removed

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Car parking in general at Woolacombe tends to be very expencive in the season but many smaller sites close by not so dear. I find it hard enough to accept a per head charge as well as the van without adding extra for dogs, awnings etc so we always wild camp in our field just up the road hee hee. Right to roam, right to life, right to wild camp.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Many sites charge extra for dogs, and its pretty annoying, but if they have installed a proper dog walk and bins, then there should be some charge. I would want paying to empty those poo bins.

Some site owners just add it because they can, these sites normally charge for awnings, trailers and will charge a guest that wants to visit you on site for an hour.:RollEyes: I am a dog owner, but I would charge for dogs. Mostly because off irresponsible owners. And yes, those that pick up their dogs mess can be just as irresponsible:Angry:

Just because they carry a little plastic bag, many owners think that there dogs can shit anywhere because they will pick it up, this would true if those bags picked it all up which of course they do not, they invariably leave stuff behind. :whatthe: Very early one morning at the Stratford show a women passed through our pitches with three dogs, one stopped and did the business right outside Bryan's van::bigsmile:, then the other two felt the urge did the same.

OK the woman produced bags and attempted to pick it all up. Is she a responsible dog owner? ABSOLUTELY NOT, There were acres of unoccupied field right next to us, she would have known what the dogs would do! If healthy, dogs are very regular. Dogs can have accidents and might need to go at any time, but a responsible dog owner, when doing routine ablutions exercise, not only uses a bag but ensures that the dogs go in a suitable area.

Over the years I have lost count of the number of lazy dog owners I have seen on a site, they will take a dog out early (gotta be early to catch me:Smile:), often in a dressing gown and exercise the dog on empty pitches:whatthe: but just because they attempt to pick it all with a plastic bag up they are responsible.. NOT.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Trust it to be Bryan:RollEyes:maybe they were leaving covert messages for Arfur:winky::roflmto:

When we were at woolacombe it was £18 a night off season for the van and up to 6 people with use of all the facilities.

Yet £5 per night for each dog (suppose each years since they are actually discounting the price?):winky:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
And yes, those that pick up their dogs mess can be just as irresponsible:Angry:

And what's even worse is when the dog owner picks up the crap, ties the bag neatly and then throws it into the nearest hedgerow or stream.

A growing trend, unfortunately.... :Angry:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Dogs and charges

Hi

As a dog owner, and as a campsite employee, I see this from two sides.

As a dog owner, I do not want to pay to take a dog along, after all, she does not use the showers, toilet block etc.

On the flip side of the coin, many sides have a doggy play area - the fencing has cost money, and so has the doggy bin. The contents of the doggy bin are emptied by someone who has to be paid.

I found a site that charged a fiver for dogs and asked if this applied to guide dogs. The answer was yes, so I contacted trading standards and everyone I could think of.

Another site I actually stayed on charged for dogs "except guide dogs and rescue dogs". I stayed there with the late Oscar and they tried to charge me. I explained that Oscar was a rescue dog. It seemed that their idea of a rescue dog was one working for mountain rescue etc, rather than a dog rescue for re-homing. Anyway, we agreed on a nil tariff.

Regards

Russell

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
3 of the sites we used to use have stopped allowing dogs on site, purely because some owners dont clear up the mess and some dont follow the rules and keep their dogs on leads.

£5 is pretty standard per night per dog for most places we have stayed at though.

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Hi we are dog(s) owners one site we stayed on last year had a very small fenced off area to exercise and do there du's. They had provided a large dustbin for the deposits ,yet there were still old poo's left around the field . It gives the responsible ones of us a bad name. Another site we stayed on at Christmas a lady came along with three dogs in tow walking all around the parked up vans to where some caravans were parked for the winter and let the dogs go there, yet in the other direction and not as far was a large field which took you down to a coastal path, lazy or what ( no offence ment but she was a tugger)

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
don't we pay enough to camp nowadays .there seems to be more people camping with dogs than not. sites make there mind up to have a dog walk and want our custom. but as i said on other posts i will not stop there and pay for my dog .
when i arrive and they say charge for dog .say sorry will not pay for dog you have just lost two weeks revenue good by. you want see there face :ROFLMAO:
then its of to nearest club site with free dog walk.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
don't we pay enough to camp nowadays .there seems to be more people camping with dogs than not. sites make there mind up to have a dog walk and want our custom. but as i said on other posts i will not stop there and pay for my dog .
when i arrive and they say charge for dog .say sorry will not pay for dog you have just lost two weeks revenue good by. you want see there face :ROFLMAO:
then its of to nearest club site with free dog walk.

The whole reason we got a camper was because we werent prepared to put our little dog in kennels.

We were hoping one of the sites we used to stay at would change their mind about not allowing dogs anymore, however they are booked solid for the summer and no campers with dogs.

Our regular haunt in summer we now have to book up 2 years in advance.

rwhites1

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Cl Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
since 2001
One of the reasons we got our motorhome was because we could take our dog with us.Will not use any sites that charge for dogs.

If you are dog or a smoker you are treated like a leper

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Absolutely agree. We take our dog with us in the MH. We don't stay at sites that charge for dogs. We are charged enough already in this country. Campsites in high season charging about £18 per night anyway (£252 for a couple of weeks holiday). With the additional £5 per night for dog, £70 for a fortnight makes it expensive. I try and stay at CC sites where you know that dogs are free and standards are high in all other respects.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Can you get a reduction for not breathing, makes you sick the way everything gets charged as extras. Exactly why I don't use sites. I'm sick of living in a ripoff society. For me a site would only be a place to leave the van whilst site seeing. I want peace and quiet. Tried a campsite once and the smell of 100's of chemical toilets made me sick, I had to leave. Away from people, kids, Barking dogs quiet and peaceful that is what I want. Plus a good chippie and pasty shop.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Can you get a reduction for not breathing, makes you sick the way everything gets charged as extras. Exactly why I don't use sites. I'm sick of living in a ripoff society. For me a site would only be a place to leave the van whilst site seeing. I want peace and quiet. Tried a campsite once and the smell of 100's of chemical toilets made me sick, I had to leave. Away from people, kids, Barking dogs quiet and peaceful that is what I want. Plus a good chippie and pasty shop.

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Give me dogs any day and charge the earth/ban children! I always clean up after Ben and exercise him in an appropriate place, do parents ever pick up their childrens discarded sweetie and ice cream wrappers? Ben, on pitch, is always on his lead but children invade other campers space regularly by riding bikes round units, kicking footballs, throwing gravel, screaming etc. Also they are rarely accompanied/supervised in the toilet blocks.

Yes, there will always be the irresponsible dog owner, just as there will always be the 'play over there and leave me alone' parents. Fact of life I'm afraid.
Jan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Please do not tar us all with the same brush ! :Sad: Mark and I have worked very hard to get what you have asked for (chip and pasty shops 5 miles away sorry can't do everything) we know what customers we want to aim for and we do not "rip off" with extras. Dogs are free and never had a problem with barking. Good sites to fit your bill do exsist. We don't fit everyones bill we know (no loos, showers or normal tv signal) but it really does depend what you are after.:Smile:
Eileen

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Please do not tar us all with the same brush ! :Sad: Mark and I have worked very hard to get what you have asked for (chip and pasty shops 5 miles away sorry can't do everything) we know what customers we want to aim for and we do not "rip off" with extras. Dogs are free and never had a problem with barking. Good sites to fit your bill do exsist. We don't fit everyones bill we know (no loos, showers or normal tv signal) but it really does depend what you are after.:Smile:
Eileen
Hi Eileen I hope I didn't offend you.
It was not intended as a general statement only for those who are ripoff merchants. Coming as I do from a tourist area I see them all the time. cc's, cl's are limited to number of vans are so not so much a problem. Besides we tend to move on every day, do not use any site facilities, that is why we have a motorhome. I know many never wild and have a great time, for them a site like yours is a boon. It is the people running the site who make a site worth visiting, not the facilities they offer. So don't worry about not having showers etc. And before anyone else has a go we have two dogs, am not anti dog just cannot stand barking, or any loud or incessant excessive noise any more. Children charging around when seen in my peripheral vision, cause me to go dizzy as my eyes fight to focus. So I choose to avoid when possible children, don't dislike them just couln't eat a whole one. Eyes gone, ears gone, patience (never had any) gone. As soon as the van is fixed I'm gone, off to find my eyes ears and sense of humour.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
PS you cannot make Cornish pasties in wales (only in Cornwall says the EU) but you do make some wonderfull COWL.

Last edited:

theboadacea

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The whole reason we got a camper was because we werent prepared to put our little dog in kennels.

We were hoping one of the sites we used to stay at would change their mind about not allowing dogs anymore, however they are booked solid for the summer and no campers with dogs.

Our regular haunt in summer we now have to book up 2 years in advance.

If I had to book 2 years in advance I wouldn't bother. That fully booked sounds like my idea of hell unless it is a CL! :Sad::Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back