LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Currently in the process of buying a new van from a dealer in Lincoln. I had expected to pay using my Debit card when I collect the van as that is how I have always paid for my vans.
I got a phone call today asking me to pay by BACS because according to the sales person if I pay by debit card it takes 4 days to hit their bank account. My first thought was "bullshit" but I needed to speak to my bank today anyway so I asked and they said "news to us. Customers usually pay by debit card when they buy vehicles for cash"
Is this as I suspect bullshit?
Of course it may be unrelated but I am due to take delivery on 1st November so I am presuming they probably want the money by 31 October so they can book it as an October sale rather than a November sale. The Salesman probably needs it for his commission.
Mike

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
isnt there some protection when you pay by card that you dont get paying by bacs?

It doesnt take 4 working days for a debit card payment to clear. speak to your bank

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have used a credit card for this sort of thing ( I can't really say always as it doesn't happen that often) as it gives you some extra protection, not to mention up to six weeks free credit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We paid for our van with a debit card on 29th June, the dealer had the money in his account the next day. We got a substantial discount if he could have payment before the end of the month.
I would think there was something wrong if they are telling you 4 days.
I bought a car a few years ago and when I went to pay with a credit card, the salesman said they were having problems with their machine and asked for cash or Bacs. I paid cash, two weeks later, the timing belt went on the engine ( even though they said it had been changed) and wrecked it. Tried to contact the garage, who had just gone bankrupt, so I was left with a dead car and a warranty that was worthless.
I would have been able to claim something back if I had paid with a card,
Allan

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Sounds more like they want it to be an October sale as you thought Mike

Pay them
In one pence pieces :ROFLMAO:

:Eeek: how many ton of copper is that ???? :Doh:
You'll need a JCB. To deliver it ::bigsmile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I wanted to pay cash in 2010 when I got my car
The dealer almost had a fit
No we can not take cash.
You would have thought I was one of the great train robbers
:ROFLMAO:

What a country where you are not encouraged to pay by cash
Big brother wants to keep track on us all the time
So they know when you earn it were and when you spend it
The Nanny state is upon us.
No rights for the working man

All political donations. To. Po box 264 Hartlepool TS24 4AF :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The motorhomelover political appeal for the financially depressed :RollEyes::Blush:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When we purchased our current van in January from a dealer in Guildford they phone and asked me to pay a week before pick up for the same reason you mention he said its because I can still cancel the payment even after making it. I refused and told them either they except my debit card or cancel the deal, after speaking to his managing director (which I doubt) they said they would do it this time just for me :Rofl1

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I seem to remember dealers (or maybe any business) can take a maximum of £1k cash, money laundering regs I think.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I seem to remember dealers (or maybe any business) can take a maximum of £1k cash, money laundering regs I think.

I thought it was £10K.

We changed our car in January 2012. Deposit paid by card which, with the trade in, left £4K to be paid on the day. The salesman joked that he was glad we were paying by car because he didn't like counting out the cash. Went to pay and got the phone call to check - and the payment was rejected because Yorkshire Bank had corrupted my personal data. Luckily we were only a couple of miles from our branch so were able to go and sort out out the error made by Yorkshire Bank and get cash to complete the transaction.

We bought our current van a couple of weeks later (following being Asda-d) and deliberately told Yorkshire Bank that we were going to pay a defined amount to a defined dealer on a defined day. Yorkshire Bank took an unjustifiable 25 minutes to authorise the transaction.

EDIT: Whoops, I seem to have emphasised failures by Yorkshire Bank. Oh dear, what's done can't be undone can it? :roflmto::roflmto:

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Easy Peasy. Just tell them that's the way YOU WISH to pay, and if they don't like it, you can always get a better deal up the road! Debit card payments are INSTANT, that's why they are named 'debit cards'.
Credit cards are different, but paying by debit card is like handing over cash. Credit cards have good protective qualities, better then debit, but I don't think that's the problem here.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Mike , we normally use a bankers draft and get a direct line phone number to the branch so the seller can phone and confirm the cheque number etc , been accepted last 3 times for ,cars and MH,s :Cool:

It wouldnt be the grumpy old guy at _ _ c_ _ _ _ _ _ by chance ?

I am still waiting for a call back from him about buying a MH of them at Malvern :roflmto:

All the Best Graham

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Debit card is not a problem, we are quite happy to accept then as we can check immediately the money has been transferred into our account

If your not happy with the dealer, then pay say £500 with a standard credit card and the balance by debit card, you should then be covered under the Consumer Credit Act I believe.

If you paid the deposit with a standard credit card, then the above should still apply.

Good luck

Peter

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Easy Peasy. Just tell them that's the way YOU WISH to pay, and if they don't like it, you can always get a better deal up the road! Debit card payments are INSTANT, that's why they are named 'debit cards'.
Credit cards are different, but paying by debit card is like handing over cash. Credit cards have good protective qualities, better then debit, but I don't think that's the problem here.
they are not instant - they may come out of your account that day but they do not go into the recipients bank account until the card machine has been 'polled' i.e. contacted through the phone lines, totaled and will then be transferred usually overnight. DEBIT cards are instant debits to your account whereas CREDIT cards actualy give you a certain number of days credit before you have to pay the card company.
Debit card payments cost the seller anything from 25p - 50p per transaction regardless of the total amount whereas credit card payments cost the seller anything up to 2% of the total sales price which on an expensive van can equate to a lot of money! I would think that even if you paid on the last day of the month and it didn't go through until the next day the sale would go on the salesman's monthly figures as its not when the money clears but when the sale/payment is made that counts!

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I bought my MH a week last Saturday, I paid a deposit by card the week before, but the dealer insisted on a debit card, I have never ever used my debit card as I always pay cash for everything ,dealer wouldn`t accept a bank cheque, so went to my bank, they put it on my account that I would be paying a large amount out, well more than £22,000 large for me.it took about 10 minutes, as the bank wanted to speak to me and ask security questions, that was ok better for them to check, trouble was it was in India, and I couldn`t understand a word she was saying, accent plus poor English, so I had to guess the questions, don`t know what would have happened if I had got it wrong, a worrying 10 minutes for me, if that is paying by debit card, I will give it a miss.£9000 is the most you can pay out in cash.On putting phone down transaction all done and I drove my MH home. no days before hand to pay, my husband bought his car the same way, it is classed as a cash payment so is instant.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Debit card is not a problem, we are quite happy to accept then as we can check immediately the money has been transferred into our account

If your not happy with the dealer, then pay say £500 with a standard credit card and the balance by debit card, you should then be covered under the Consumer Credit Act I believe.

If you paid the deposit with a standard credit card, then the above should still apply.

Good luck

Peter

Indeed.

The best tip is to pay the deposit (anything over £100) by CREDIT CARD, you will then be covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 See here)

Then pay for the rest as you wish, I would not go for cash as its more hasle than its worth , both parties.
Debit card, BACS are fine. But please use a Credit card for part of the transactions..

Graham you are right it is £10k.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Dealers can take cash payments over €15000 if they are registered with HMRC as High Value Dealers, but I would never pay cash for anything that expensive.
When we paid for our van by debit card, my Wife rang the bank ( Natwest) to tell them that we would be paying a large amount, to whom and when. I duly went to pay for the van
I had to speak to the bank to answer some security questions, one of which was my telephone banking password, which I hadn't used for 5 years and had forgotten, even though we were told they wouldn't ask questions like that.
Very embarrassing. We had the cash in the bank and still we couldn't use it!
So, the transaction failed and my Wife had to drive to the dealers and pay with her card.
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back